Particle Physics vs Nuclear Physics vs Nanotech

CarbonCopy

Nanotechnology has more immediate and obvious potential for applications. This will mean more money available and so more jobs, both in universities and private companies.

Then I would say nuclear physics then particle physics.

What you have not made very clear is if you are interested in the experimental or theoretical side. For example, theoretical particle physics is very competitive and positions in string theory are ultra competitive.

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that I want to do experimental side. For things like particle physics, is the only employment places in CERN, Fermilab, etc. Are there any private institutions ( not academic ) that do these fundamental research ? There is usually more employment in private sector.

Or, I was also thinking about nanomaterial research. Does that have a larger scope ?

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that I want to do experimental side. For things like particle physics, is the only employment places in CERN, Fermilab, etc. Are there any private institutions ( not academic ) that do these fundamental research ? There is usually more employment in private sector.

There are no private companies doing large fundamental science like CERN or similar. However, particle physics does have spin-offs and private companies do a lot of work here. For example, aspects of medical physics use ideas and technology first developed for pure research. A good PhD in particle experiment would be looked on well by a private company working in nuclear medicine or medical physics.

Or, I was also thinking about nanomaterial research. Does that have a larger scope ?

Private high tec companies are always interested in developing the next big product.

• 5 months later...