Why is East Asia becoming more religious?

Mr Rayon

Yes, the whole world is becoming more religious.

Citation needed.

As I've shared with already on several occasions when you've started threads, before we waste any time speculating about the reasons for something, you really ought to demonstrate with evidence and data that this something is even happening in the first place.

In case you are wondering, no. Your youtube video does not adequately address this request.

Citation needed.

As I've shared with already on several occasions when you've started threads, before we waste any time speculating about the reasons for something, you really ought to demonstrate with evidence and data that this something is even happening in the first place.

In case you are wondering, no. Your youtube video does not adequately address this request.

Citation needed indeed - and not so easy to find. I know we shouldn't do mr rayon's groundwork for him, but I was curious so I did a spot of googling; the results were not as obvious as I thought. it is easy to find talk on individual religions or countries - but globally no.

Maybe I was just having an off day but I did not find an easily available and trust-worthy source. A few pages like this one makes me believe that growth is a possibility - but I would have to do the maths and be able to have a bit of faith in the source.

BTW you will love the google suggestion - for the second or third time I searched on the same idea with different wording

post-32514-0-87760100-1357148013_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Citation needed indeed - and not so easy to find. I know we shouldn't do mr rayon's groundwork for him, but I was curious so I did a spot of googling; the results were not as obvious as I thought. it is easy to find talk on individual religions or countries - but globally no.

Maybe I was just having an off day but I did not find an easily available and trust-worthy source. A few pages like this one makes me believe that growth is a possibility - but I would have to do the maths and be able to have a bit of faith in the source.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tohhSz53Vo

Also, you have an example from one country (i.e. China) which is a substantial outlier in regards to its recent political stance on religion. What leads you to extrapolate results from an outlier to both East Asia and the entire world?

Perhaps if there is growth it is caused by the increasing wealth gap in heavily populated industrial countries like China and India, after heavy capitalism some things were better, but many people became poorer or classified as being poor, and when you look at history, because poor people occupy such a large group, a religion that can appeal to them and make their life better or more full filling in some way such as having a tight community gatherings or family orientation to make things less stressful has a chance to catch on.

Another possibility could perhaps be globalization. With the internet and cell phones or iphones it is much easier for communication to be made, and Eastern Asia has heavy religious influences which are actively voicing themselves, such as Tibetan people and their issue with China and Middle Eastern religions that are neighbors with Hindu India as well as some Christian and Muslim influences from the Philippines.

Perhaps the two hypotheses combined can account for it.

Edited by SamBridge

That's absolutely right!

With increasing wealth gap religiosity within a society increases. There is a relationship.

Injustice, poverty and oppression are good breeding grounds for new and interesting religions to pop up or old ones to grow.