How to stop countries from having wars with each other?

Mr Rayon

Hi everybody,

I was speaking to a very intelligent friend of mine many months ago and he said that there will always be wars and that there is nothing we can do to prevent wars from taking place. It is all part of being human, right?

Anybody got any ideas on how we can prevent wars from happening in the future?

Furthermore, is my friend right?

Will wars take place forever in our history from time-to-time?

Is it inevitable that we as a human race keep hurting each other?

The world now is becoming more globalised. International trade has made it possible for countries to obtain essential resources without going to war.

But as people die, the younger generation will forget about the pain/suffering brought by war. How can our children be taught to avoid war at all costs? They won't remember the pain/suffering brought because of the crusades/colonialism/the great world wars of the 20th century etc.

Is there anyway to make our children remember the dropping of the nuclear bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and many other horrible things like that brought about in war to instill in our children a natural sense of disgust and dread of war, so as to avoid it at all costs?

Should we make more movies about pain/suffering brought about by war and force our children to watch it as part of the education system? Should we teach them 21st century morality as part of the education system?

Lessons about morality could be taught to children about real horrible things that happened in history to further their moral values.

Is it possible?

What can we do to stop people from fighting against one another?

Should we teach our children 21st century moral values or more religion?

How effective would this be in preventing countries from trying to build nuclear weapons for "defensive purposes"?

Wars have happened since prehistoric times and will continue to do so for hundreds of years into the future AT LEAST

Reason is because humans are EVIL, plain and simple, they do not care for their fellow man, not TRULY care, there is no compassion

The only reason some humans SEEM to show compassion and empathy to others is because they are weaker than the rest of the evil people who surround them

One of the first things that needs to happen for wars to stop is for families to stop being proud of their children WANTING to join the army and go and fight and kill strangers on the other side of the world for NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

It actually makes me sick when I see soldier funerals on TV and all the families and randoms turning up for funerals and parades

If the men were not evil in the first place and decided NOT to join the army for the purpose of murdering random strangers from across the globe, then they would not have been killed by those strangers in the first place and they would instead be alive and at home with their families.

There are many sicknesses in this world, but two of the main ones are patriotism and capitalism.

And it is not the governments of the world, or the rich and wealthy, that are to blame for all the war, corruption and evil, it is SOCIETY itself

Every person in government whether it be US, Equatorial Guinea, Paraguay or Malaysia came from the society of that country.

If you have a sick and twisted society, you will get a sick and twisted government.

Now out of all the countries in the world, how many are sick, twisted and corrupt?

Almost ALL of them

Future is bleak for mankind, wars will continue and only get worse

Because human beings are a plague on this planet

If the men were not evil in the first place and decided NOT to join the army for the purpose of murdering random strangers from across the globe, then they would not have been killed by those strangers in the first place and they would instead be alive and at home with their families.

What if you join the army (or military) for some other reason?

we should give moral education to children. Also, we should abolish all country boundary and we should all be under one big world government. that way there is nothing to fight about.

one big world with NO government

we should give moral education to children. Also, we should abolish all country boundary and we should all be under one big world government. that way there is nothing to fight about.

Whose morals?

You think there is no internal fighting under a government? I think that would solve absolutely nothing.

One cannot change the nature of humanity. To me the answer is the global economy. If the last economic collapse is any indication, it is easy to see how the economy of one nation impacts another. In a truly global economy, war becomes too expensive for all parties as it guarantees complete worldwide economic collapse.

Of course nothing is that simple, but eliminating gross disparity of resources (eg food, infrastructure) is a good start.

I think people go to war if they have unmet needs, and the benefit of going to war outweighs the cost of going to war.

The more economic and military parity you have, the less war you have.

The principle is that the one who pays for war is not the same guy with the one who wins from war.

Then who will enforce it against perpetrators who break that law?

Justice.

Nations should behave like a person. When there come an issue with your neighbour, you don't go and smash his face 9or at least it is illegal to do that). Let's be the same for nations.

I'd like to see any politician who commits a country to war required to find genuine front line jobs for all their children/grandchildren over 18. If no children qualified, commit their siblings/their children to the frontline. That will limit wars to the really hard line nutters, and may have spared America from W,

If the war IS so necessary to your country's leader, why not put their own family at the front of the line?

It's only an idle dream, I understand that and one can't force children to pay for parents shortcomings..

Tho' fact remains, to not act, not defend the defenceless, is almost as bad as doing the deed. Sometimes, there isn't time to wait for economic/diplomatic moves to take effect, and sometimes, those actions don't really effect those at which it is aimed .

Those who demand morality standards taught, really worry me - alarm me, when religion is used as baseline morality. If worldwide DEMOCRACY as is, 2012, has to share world power with the largest religious leaders, how mahy more Alan Turings would we lose?

I think, broad strokes, quality SECULAR education for all, especially women. Universal suffrage, again, especially women, would LESSEN wars. Sexual equality would lessen the dominance and/or force and violence often seen as a right of men, in religious/primitive societies. Often the leaders of that society come from that upbringing/mindset and bring it into their politics. Losing ALL religion would surely at least halve the reason for war and violence in 2012. These hold as well for America as the Middle East.and everywhere else.

Hi everybody,

Will wars take place forever in our history from time-to-time?

Is it inevitable that we as a human race keep hurting each other?

As long as humans harm one another, some type of war will be necessary. So, to prevent war we need to prevent violence to one another.

But as people die, the younger generation will forget about the pain/suffering brought by war. How can our children be taught to avoid war at all costs? They won't remember the pain/suffering brought because of the crusades/colonialism/the great world wars of the 20th century etc.

Is there anyway to make our children remember the dropping of the nuclear bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and many other horrible things like that brought about in war to instill in our children a natural sense of disgust and dread of war, so as to avoid it at all costs?

Should we make more movies about pain/suffering brought about by war and force our children to watch it as part of the education system? Should we teach them 21st century morality as part of the education system?

Lessons about morality could be taught to children about real horrible things that happened in history to further their moral values.

Is it possible?

What can we do to stop people from fighting against one another?

Should we teach our children 21st century moral values or more religion?

How effective would this be in preventing countries from trying to build nuclear weapons for "defensive purposes"?

I can't imagine humans being completely non-violent. I think it would take some genetic engineering.

To reduce violence, I do think education is key. Being aware of our history, not just in a matter-of-fact reading, but also experiencing the feelings and thoughts of some in the past is important.

We do need moral philosophy taught in schools and at home. I personally don't think religion is the best method, but its better than nothing in most cases.

This is, perhaps, a poetic response to my question, but IMO my question remains unanswered.

Correct.

First of all you need Law. Generally speaking, war is permitted under specific circumstances. So you should first forbid war in any circumstance, creating new laws.

Secondly you should have means to enforce the Law, I suppose that was your question.

There are no such means yet. At this moment the only thing that we see is the victorious nation putting on trial the defeated after war. Instead of having a trial before war.

But if you want a trial before war, the people you put on trial must be justiciable, which is not the case at this moment IIRC. A chief of state is not above the law in his home nation but is almost untouchable internationally. That must change too.

It's a long road.

-----------

Ah, and also one must have in mind that war is not always an accident. There are people who want war, there are people who make money from war.

To reduce violence, I do think education is key. Being aware of our history, not just in a matter-of-fact reading, but also experiencing the feelings and thoughts of some in the past is important.

I think education is the key, history is of course important; however I think the most important are cultural influences. Not only what the specific differences are but how our own culture influences the very way we think and feel.

How often has the opponent’s culture been used to demonise the enemy? Whipping up hatred and creating support for the governments approach.

Is this an impossible dream? Yes maybe, there are many obstacles, not only the inevitable opposition by the masses (within each culture) initially but the fact that all countries would need to sign up to the idea (at least the majority). We can but live in hope.

Secondly you should have means to enforce the Law, I suppose that was your question.

There are no such means yet.

But that's sort of the point. If someone breaks the law, then you must "war against them" in order to enforce it and get them to comply. Your solution (of making war illegal) is really no such thing, IMO. It does not result in the intended goal of non-war, it just displaces its cause slightly.

But that's sort of the point. If someone breaks the law, then you must "war against them" in order to enforce it and get them to comply.

Like this, I guess.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/in-the-name-of-allah.htm

Hi everybody,

Let us redefine the word WAR as Wisdom and Revelation.

But that's sort of the point. If someone breaks the law, then you must "war against them" in order to enforce it and get them to comply. Your solution (of making war illegal) is really no such thing, IMO. It does not result in the intended goal of non-war, it just displaces its cause slightly.

Well you may be right again.

What i propose is not THE solution, it is just the beginning. If war continues to be legal then there is no hope to ever end IMHO.

Let us redefine the word WAR as Wisdom and Revelation.

If only this were true, redefine what you will but WAR as far as I can define from history has never resulted in wisdom of any sort (except, maybe, let’s not do that again) and the only revelation is, we won.

Edited by dimreepr

Maybe UNIFIED economic sanctions on agressor nations.

If global warming is as bad as some propose it may be, there should be a lot MORE reasons for nations to go to war. There could even be wars over limited drinking water!

There should be some effective limits on population growth to limit shortages.

There should be some effective mind control to keep people under control. There already is, it is called TV.

Correct.

First of all you need Law. Generally speaking, war is permitted under specific circumstances. So you should first forbid war in any circumstance, creating new laws.

There are no such means yet. At this moment the only thing that we see is the victorious nation putting on trial the defeated after war. Instead of having a trial before war.

There are many laws already in place to prevent war. The invasion of Iraq in 2003 by the US and UK is viewed by the UN and many other law professionals in the US and UK as being illegal. Yet we (US) did it with no punishment except for our own folly. Many innocents paid the price with their lives. So laws only go so far as they can be enforced, and no country or council would dare to swing the hammer of justice at the worlds strongest military and largest economy.