How do I make an Air-conditioner

Verusamore

Hi ,

Guys its getting here being summer and I was thinking if there were any alternatives to building my own little air con system without the cost and bulk of normal systems , does anyone have a clue building cool air conditioning system without the fuss of spending 100's of dollars .

The size doesn't matter but in preference a miniture size system would be swell .

Thanks . :D

• 5 months later...

Before car A/C's, a cylinder of ice was attached to the slit of an almost closed car window--air would blow thru ice into window slit and cool car. A fan on a block of ice aimed at you should work a little.

take a cooler and cut one intake vent into the lid, and another hole for a fan. Fill with ice and close. Turn it on and and you got a simple AC. Seeing this thread makes me want to take apart an old minature freezer (maybe, if im careful, not break any of the evaporator joints) and make an ac.

• 2 years later...

Air conditioners are the biggest waste of energy I know of.

Please consider buying a commercial one, because the chance is that it's more efficient.

When you definitely want to build one yourself, at least make a rough calculation of the price of the energy it will require.

Yes, I am one of those treehuggers that wants to save the world, and I frown upon people with air conditioners.

that`s Easy then, get yourself a large stainless steel drum (like the sort used for boiling water in canteens), then fill it with ammonium nitrate.

slowly drip water into this, it will Freeze! then all you need to do is rig up a solar powered fan.

when it`s all used up, pour the slurry into a large shallow tray and leave it in the sunshine to evaporate all the water off and recrystalise.

it`s ready to use again ;)

and if That`s not green enough for you, throw the AN over your lawn and wait, it`ll be like Vietnam within a week or 2 :D

Happy now?

• 8 months later...