Why announce Bin Laden's death?

Airbrush

Really? Al-Qaeda wouldn't have noticed his death?

How could anyone in AQ know that he was dead? Maybe he was captured alive. Who were the witnesses of his killing? I think only the SEAL team.

Certainly everyone at the Abadabad military base, that were aware Bin Laden was staying there, realized OBL was killed or captured, and sensitive records taken for careful analysis. But because AQ has become very decentralized, it is possible many AQ cells didn't learn about what happened for a long while. For security reasons, info is transmitted by courier which is slow (the courier was worried he was being followed). Maybe the leadership of Al Aaeda thought the news of the raid would demoralize the troops and they had no reason to spread the news down the chain of command, to anyone that didn't need to know. Maybe many AQ cells would never have heard about the raid until it was announced in the news by Obama.

"Hillary Clinton Admits the U.S. Government Created al-Qaeda"

It is common knowledge that the US supported Jihadi groups fighting the Soviets in Afgahnistan. Those Stinger missiles and other military aid were later used by AQ. So, indirectly, the US, if not created, enabled AQ. The US "created a monster."

Edited by Airbrush

How could anyone in AQ know that he was dead? Maybe he was captured alive. Who were the witnesses of his killing? I think only the SEAL team.

According to Wikipedia...

Bin Laden peered over the third floor ledge at the Americans advancing up the stairs, and then retreated into his room as a SEAL fired a shot at him. The SEALs quickly followed him into his room. Inside the bedroom, bin Laden lay on the floor with a head wound as two of bin Laden's wives stood in front of him, shielding him. One of them, Amal Ahmed Abdul Fatah, screamed at the SEALs in Arabic and motioned as if she were about to charge. One of the SEALs shot her in the leg, then grabbed both women and shoved them aside. A second SEAL entered the room and two SEALs shot bin Laden in the chest with a H&K 416 using Navy M855 5.56 mm rounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Osama_bin_Laden

Your premise was that he was dead, and questioned the secrecy of it, not the act itself. If the next AQ courier shows up and Bin Laden is gone, with the reports of an attack and a crashed helicopter in the yard, the cat's out of the bag. Taken or dead, it's still not a secret. This isn't an issue of there being only two paths for information to get out.

Your premise was that he was dead, and questioned the secrecy of it, not the act itself. If the next AQ courier shows up and Bin Laden is gone, with the reports of an attack and a crashed helicopter in the yard, the cat's out of the bag. Taken or dead, it's still not a secret. This isn't an issue of there being only two paths for information to get out.

I'll take this a step further and suggests that by announcing his death, the administration had more direct control over how/when the information reached the various cells of AQ. I think that it is quite possible that announcing his death stirred up the hornets nest, so to speak, in such a way that once invsible cells became easier to pin point due to the increase of "chatter". So more beneficial intelligence may have been gained through the announcement than through silence.

Maybe we announced it in an attempt to lower moral and to prevent AQ from creating their own narrative.

Edited by akh

Quote by akh: Maybe we announced it in an attempt to lower moral and to prevent AQ from creating their own narrative.

If we really expected that to happen, then we screwed up royally with such lame excuses to explain the Benghazi debacle. Supposedly in early July of this year after Osama ben Laden's demise, rumor had it that Al Queida was also dead? Problem is, I simply can't find out who started that myth?

The general circumstance that the US "created" AQ is standard leftist (or reality based, if you prefer) observation long familiar in the reality based political discussion community. It is not meant literally and specifically to apply to AQ exactly but to the Islamic fundie militias and partisan forces from which AQ arose.

The reality based crowd distinguishes between the various factions and organizations and forces involved in radical Islamic terrorism and rebellion and partisan struggle, rather than lumping them under one name.

That said, I'm not going to watch entire videos of stuff just to discover the exact manner in which some passing moment in them has been misrepresented by some poster. And I don't have sound on this computer, anyway. So do you have a transcript, something we can read and dismiss in a couple of minutes?

That's what Clinton said. The al Qaeda stemmed from mujahedeen financed by the U.S. But don't ignore the latest news about Libya and others.

That is what the "reality-based crowd" consider, i.e., blowback, false flags, etc. There are multiple examples from history, from Vietnam to Irangate.

And don't wait for transcripts. Just look at the other sources I gave.