What is the best books written in your opinion?

My list:

1. The Best That Money Can't Buy: Beyond Politics, Poverty, & War, Jacque Fresco

2. Tyranny Of Words, Stuart Chase

3. Science and Sanity: An Introduction to Non-Aristotelian Systems and General Semantics, Alfred Korzybski

4. Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth, R. Buckminster Fuller

5. Science And Human Behavior, B.F Skinner

6. The Mind in the Making the Relation of Intelligence to Social Reform, James Harvey Robinson

7. Edward Bellamy's "Looking Backward: 2000-1887": A Study Guide from Gale's "Novels for Students" (Volume 15, Chapter 7)

8. Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, John Perkins

9. The Theory of the Leisure Class (Oxford World's Classics), Thorstein Veblen

10. The Show of Violence (Eton Pocket-Size Books, E106), Frederic Wertham

Edited by CaptainPanic
10 links to an online book store removed. Online shops don't need our help with their marketing.

!

Moderator Note

Dear everybody,
I have removed each and every link in this thread. In certain cases, I have replaced the link with the title and author.

Please write your references according to the scientific tradition if you can. It has been used for many decades, and so far never caused any confusion. We certainly don't need to open a whole thread to link to the online book stores. Online book stores can handle their own marketing just fine.

Normally, this would have been deleted as spam, but the topic is actually a nice topic. But no more links to book stores, thanks.

• 1 month later...

One of the best books I’ve ever read is Fermat’s Last Theorem (1997) by Simon Singh, a thoroughly enjoyable account of Andrew Wiles’s proof of the Taniyama–Shimura conjecture for semistable elliptic curves, which implied the result about the most famous Diophantine equation in the history of mathematics.

I recently also enjoyed reading Antimatter (2009) by Frank Close, from which I learned a lot about the topic.

• 1 month later...

If the books don't have to be factual, and can include Science Fiction, my Top 10 is:

1. A Canticle for Leibowitz

2. 1984

3. Level 7

4. Earth Abides

5. Out of the Silent Planet

6. The Genocides

7. Wasp

8. The Death of Grass

9. The Kraken Wakes

10. Escape to Berkshire

Edited by Dekan

Science = The Black Hole War - Leonard Susskind

Science fiction = The Foundation series - Isaac Asimov and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams

Serious fiction = Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Comedy fiction = Discworld series – Terry Pratchett

These are my favourites ATM many more on the shortlist and due to my fickle nature will probably be different next week or, indubitably, my next change of mood/underwear.