Firefox crashes on powerbook

bloodhound

my bro has a powerbook g4. the thing is whenever he tries to run firefox the icon bounces a couple of times in the dock and then the talkback service runs. i have looked for solutions on the net. a couple of people seemed to have the same problem but noone posted any solutions. i was wondering if anyone here knows of anything.

To me this sounds like a problem with a plugin. This happened to me with Firefox on Linux. I installed Java and was trying to get the plugin to work with Firefox. I was doing some things wrong and each time I tried to run Firefox it wouldn't run. My suggestion is to check the plugins direcotry where Firefox is installed at for unknown files or something of that sort. Maybe even remove Firefox and re-install it.

I think MacOs X is based off open darwin bsd. So you should be able to open up a shell and run Firefox and if it crashes do echo $? and it will return an error number. If the message is greater then 0 then something has caused Firefox to crash if it's 0 then everything ran fine. You can then use this error number and surf it up on Google or ask someone at the Mozilla Forums. I only have experience with Apple Script and Mac OS 8 so I really am not 100% sure about Osx.

See here is an example of what I mean. Let's say the false command (a command that will always return an error message), is Firefox. I would type something like so.

[jordan@jelly-oodpyb8k0 ~]$ false #Me running Firefox, in this case false.

[jordan@jelly-oodpyb8k0 ~]$ echo $?

See how it returned an error message of 1. Now I could go online surf the Internet for, Firefox Error Message 1 or something like that. :)