SFN Upgraded

Dave

guys i don't know what is happening, i have serious issues. working from another machine (.still IE8). the edit function of a post does not understand that I want to answer after the Quote. I do it again & again, it does not work. Look below. It's getting really worriyng...

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/71281-universe-expansion/?p=718716

yesterday, from another machine (out of a number of 5), i was unable to see the whole "my profile" pulldown menu. Only the upper part with half my avatar.

Edited by michel123456

guys i don't know what is happening, i have serious issues. working from another machine (.still IE8). the edit function of a post does not understand that I want to answer after the Quote. I do it again & again, it does not work. Look below. It's getting really worriyng...

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/71281-universe-expansion/?p=718716

yesterday, from another machine (out of a number of 5), i was unable to see the whole "my profile" pulldown menu. Only the upper part with half my avatar.

Notice that I answered to the same post that you in that thread and my answer is outside of the quote. Yes it is annoying.

Edited by juanrga

Did you double-click the Enter key after the last word/character of the quote before you started typing your response to get the cursor outside the box?

Yes.

i also tried using the toggle button but even in simple mode, after moving the Quote , the post appeared wrong. I even cut my answer, post the reply without answer, then edit again and paste my answer after the quote sign, again wrong. Very weird.

-------

Note, from this other machine, no problem.

Edited by michel123456

Michel - Just give it time and keep trying... Teach yourself more as you go. I get the sense that you are less comfortable with new technology and not as agile with it as some others here, and that's okay. My point is that the fix/resolution here is not likely related to the forum software, and is instead more likely related to your personal patience and persistence, IMO.

Fixed.

I had to toggle again in normal mode, pick at the end of the quote (outside there was no place to tick) and hit the Enter button several times to go out (as String said). I thought having done this but obviously not.

In simple mode it was clearly impossible. Even the preview changed automatically the place of the .

edit: now I remember having hit the Enter button many times, then the window expands After several hits, i was able to click outside.

Edited by michel123456

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Cap'n. Improvements are obvious. One quirky thing is that it now trims all carriage returns from quotes (hit quote buttong, and the editor window no longer has paragraphs .. just concatenated sentences, basically), which makes responding a bit of a pain in the ass, but I haven't seen any other major issues thus far.

Today I'm running into an issue of the editor deleting the attribution when I edit text in a reply — it just deletes the user name and time tag of whomever I am quoting. I have to go into the other mode and copy/paste quote tags.

• 2 weeks later...

I think others have run into this problem as well, because I've seen a post or two where someone wrote about losing the quote tag when they were replying. It seems to happen when you highlight more than one line and it includes the first line of the quoted text, and delete it. The quote info disappears but the text remains.

———

I have also noticed when I open some pages I get a small file downloaded (Mac/Safari, says it's 4k in size) and occasionally two or three. There is no file extension given.

If you highlight text you want to delete from a quote, like a portion you're not responding to, you can hit the space bar instead of backspace or delete and it will keep the tag. You may have to then hit backspace to start at the beginning, but you won't lose the tag.

If you highlight text you want to delete from a quote, like a portion you're not responding to, you can hit the space bar instead of backspace or delete and it will keep the tag. You may have to then hit backspace to start at the beginning, but you won't lose the tag.

I'm trying to do this, but am fighting many years of ingrained behavior. Need to give myself cheez nips whenever I do it correctly. Positive reinforcement.

I switch to the code based editor using the toggle switch on the top left. When I've composed my message, I switch back to the primary editor and fix the spacing. I got tired of jerking around with the unbearable software and it's automated assumptions about what I was trying to do with my post, and this has made things much less frustrating for me.

I'm trying to do this, but am fighting many years of ingrained behavior. Need to give myself cheez nips whenever I do it correctly. Positive reinforcement.

If you highlight but leave the first letter out of what you want to delete, you can still use the backspace key and hit it twice. This might be easier than rewiring the brain to hit the space bar instead.

If you highlight but leave the first letter out of what you want to delete, you can still use the backspace key and hit it twice. This might be easier than rewiring the brain to hit the space bar instead.

Yeah - but I wanna get rid of that annoying space above "if" and below "phi", and you cannot

I switch to the code based editor using the toggle switch on the top left. When I've composed my message, I switch back to the primary editor and fix the spacing. I got tired of jerking around with the unbearable software and it's automated assumptions about what I was trying to do with my post, and this has made things much less frustrating for me.

That's what I do, too.

The code based editor is not quite WYSIWYM (what you say is what you mean).

The primary editor is not quite WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).

Between the two you can more or less minimize the surprises that appear after you hit the "Add Reply" button.

It pretty much sucks that this is the only way to get something reasonable.

Edited by D H

I recently read a discussion on the Invision company forums about their approach to automated software testing, which was to say "our software is too complicated to undergo automated tests." So they just have a big complicated post they paste into the editor to make sure it works right.

Because clearly complicated software needs to be tested far less than simple, easily-testable software.