Restart

Primarygun

Yes. Indeed, I need to provide much information.

When the screen loaded to the window screen, it restarts again.

Sometimes, I click the button to login and it goes into my desktop.

It restarts again. I don't think this is the problem of any hardware rushing as I didn't install any more hardware since the last year. I have scanned the driver with both Norton and online Mcfee software. Some virus was found and was removed.

I have also used Norton Doctor 2002 to check for errors and they have been fixed so far.

yeah,,,, 99% chance you have a virus.

so remove it.

how?

avast is good as it has a before system starts virus scanner, this is good as many new viruses (once started, which they do when windows starts) can actively avoid virus scans.

start in safe mode and hopefully the virus wont start, do a scan then.

also remember that you may have a new virus so you may need to update norton before you can catch it... or if you are very unlucky you may need to wait a week until a protection comes out.

disconnection from the net is not much use with a virus as viruses are normally internal, worms and hackers can be stopped from doing damage by disconnecting yourself from the net, viruses damage or screw up your computer internally, so the net's got nothing to do with it (except that its probably the source)

remember that if the virus is running you can catch it in the running process list. or you could try looking in the programs which are running at startup.

unless you have two easily available and already connected systems thats not that easy, also if you have a virus, being on the network is not what you want because some can spread!

so i suggested finding file name and directory from a 'running process' list.

sorry and all that, but I don`t trust them one iota, they can be worked around if not even manipulated themselves.

beter to find data off the net from a reputable source, kick into dos and wipe it out!

the more things you have running as overheads even a basic WIMP system the more can be exploited, do it from bare bones!, less so with a CLI, but a SHELL can be messed with too!

disconnection from the net is not much use with a virus as viruses are normally internal, worms and hackers can be stopped from doing damage by disconnecting yourself from the net, viruses damage or screw up your computer internally, so the net's got nothing to do with it (except that its probably the source)

That's not true. Nimda, Slammer etc will reinfect a connected computer far faster than you can install and run antivirus software. Clearly if Primarygun's computer has taken a hit, he doesn't have the requisite defenses and will need to install them.

Not quite what I mean. The problem with the current worm generation is that many spread themselves port-to-port, rather than relying on user actions (like opening an infected attachment).

So if you're infected due to a vulnerability that ought to have been patched, and you remove the virus, you just get infected again within seconds.

man that kinda crap brings back memories!

I activaded a bootblock virus about 15 year ago, I lost 6 good floppies and 36 hours sleep, the little ba$t would hide in the printer buffer, turn the puter off and on again, it would re-enter when you accesed the printer (and I needed that as it was a listing printer for M/C)

needless to say I woked it out, simulated a shutdown and got the little $hit to hide in a Virtual print buffer, listed it and wrote an anti-virus, I got 4 of my 6 lost discs back!

and then went to sleep for a long time, but content :)

i think the sasser or msblaster corrupts the lssass.exe service or soemthing like that, forcing a restart.. altough u can cancel the shutdown procedure by going to run "shutdown -a" ... i am not exactly sure what u problem is. most likely a virus. who knows.

problem with the current worm generation is that many spread themselves port-to-port,

just reminded me to remind you guys to make sure that all your ports are stealthed to block this kinda attack and a lot of wannabe-hackers.