Negative Rep

I can understand why the application of negative rep is limited but is it possible to set it so that it can be applied to more than one person a day as I wanted to dish one out to to two people today but couldn't? Is it possible to limit it to issuing to one recipient each at a time but only once in a day from you.

So you could give negative rep twice a day, but not two times to the same person in a day, is that right? Not sure if the system is that sophisticated.

We never want negative rep to be used as a personal attack, so your suggestion doesn't violate that tenet. I've even stopped using it for bad answers, unless someone ignores better explanations with more supportive evidence in favor of their own answer that has little or nothing to support it. Mostly I use it for bad attitudes and rudeness. It seems to work out that the people with the worst behavior also tend to give poor answers.

So you could give negative rep twice a day, but not two times to the same person in a day, is that right? Not sure if the system is that sophisticated.

Yes that's right, to however many people you think deserve it but only once each in any day. Like say, you pissed me off, Swansont and Mooey ( :) ) I could give you one each only once a day. It did occur to me that the forum software may not be sophisticated enough in that department...no harm in asking though is there?

I'm more or less in line with you; bad attitude and obstinance in the face of sound evidence. I don't neg anybody for wrong answers sincerely given. I find myself doing it for answers that are not mainstream in the hard science sections as well now....it muddies the water for those looking to discover the scientific consensus. As a novice I can get confused myself, especially with those who are pretty good at science but are sticking their own ideas or interpretations in...the discussion fairly recently about wave-particle duality comes to mind with respect to its current validity.

Edited by StringJunky

Yes that's right, to however many people you think deserve it but only once each in any day. Like say, you pissed me off, Swansont and Mooey ( :) ) I could give you one each only once a day. It did occur to me that the forum software may not be sophisticated enough in that department...no harm in asking though is there?

I'm more or less in line with you; bad attitude and obstinance in the face of sound evidence. I don't neg anybody for wrong answers sincerely given. I find myself doing it for answers that are not mainstream in the hard science sections as well now....it muddies the water for those looking to discover the scientific consensus. As a novice I can get confused myself, especially with those who are pretty good at science but are sticking their own ideas or interpretations in...the discussion fairly recently about wave-particle duality comes to mind with respect to its current validity.

The whole problem with allowing more negative rep is that it would be fine with people like you, but not everyone is like you. There are those who would abuse this if it was allowed.

Perhaps an Admin will weigh in on this. We could find out if it's even possible.

It's definitely possible to allow more negative reputation per day. However, negative reputation has always tended to piss people off, so I set the limit as low as possible (without eliminating it entirely) to prevent overuse.

I can't say "five per day, but not more than one per person"; I can only limit total reputation points per day.

Do you think the impact of negative reputation is small enough that we should allow more than one point per day?

I think if you can't set it up the way StringJunky defined it, it's probably better to leave it the way it is.

Now if you could just separate the + and - on either side of the score for that post so it wasn't so darn easy to push the wrong one....

I know I am in a minority in this. I'd like to know who has awarded the negative rep (and the positive). If, for example, I get a negative rep from swansont I'm going to take a long hard look at the content of the post that earned it. If I get negative rep from a known agitator with the brains of a brachiopod with delusions of adquacy then I shall likely wear it as a badge of honour.

And as StringJunky points out there are occassion when more than a singel abyssmal post is made by differen people on the same day.

I know I am in a minority in this. I'd like to know who has awarded the negative rep (and the positive). If, for example, I get a negative rep from swansont I'm going to take a long hard look at the content of the post that earned it. If I get negative rep from a known agitator with the brains of a brachiopod with delusions of adquacy then I shall likely wear it as a badge of honour.

And as StringJunky points out there are occassion when more than a singel abyssmal post is made by differen people on the same day.

Again, I think knowing who gave any kind of rep would be just fine for someone like you or iNow or StringJunky, but there are those who would abuse this information and swear vendetta, using every negative point they get to drag your rep down and pay you back. Worse still, I think it's the same people who already have a negative reputation who're most likely to do this.

But I think we could easily try giving people three negative rep points per day as a test of the system. It sounds like Cap'n could change it back to one fairly easily, and we could monitor it to make sure any damage done through abuse is minimal.

Three sounds reasonable. If somebody consistently gets hit with three negs a day or at least frequently for innocuous or well-meaning posts we know they are the subject of a personal vendetta...it's usually pretty clear when someone gets negged why they've got it.

I agree. The member receiving the neg rep should know where the hit came from, and the one giving the neg rep should wear responsibility for this.

I have another crazy proposal:

The neg rep that you give could come from the reservoir of pos rep of the giving member. You positive reputation is then like a bank account from which you can spend neg rep as payment. Rep point becomes an exchange unit (like money).

only members with lot of "money" would dare to spend their "money": only valuable members would spend their rep points.

What do you think?

Edited by michel123456

I agree. The member receiving the neg rep should know where the hit came from, and the one giving the neg rep should wear responsibility for this.

The neg rep that you give could come from the reservoir of pos rep of the giving member. You positive reputation is then like a bank account from which you can spend neg rep as payment. Rep point becomes an exchange unit (like money).

only members with lot of "money" would dare to spend their "money": only valuable members would spend their rep points.

What do you think?

That's really not a bad idea, new members would be at a disadvantage but it would also help make them more aware of the rep system and it's impact. If neg rep impacted on your own rep it might keep people from frivolously giving neg rep. Giving out neg rep should be something you give some thought to, making it impact on the giver seems like a good way to do it. of course giving neg rep when you have no pos rep "in the bank" should result in you receiving neg rep in your account as well, kinda like being over drawn.... I have to admit there have been a few threads that would have tempted me to exhaust my account... :unsure:

I can't say "five per day, but not more than one per person"; I can only limit total reputation points per day.

To further clarify, the software here would let you give one person multiple negative reps if the limit were increased but it would still be limited to one negative rep per post that person had made, i.e. you couldn't give multiple negative reps to a single flame or arrogant answer even it it was warranted.

What do you think?

It does sound good, except as Moon mentions new accounts would be at a disadvantage, but I think a person should be here a while before they can judge things fairly.

It's just that I don't think the software will ever work that way. As Cap'n said, he can set the limits on + and - but can't do anything fancier than that.

If you run out of neg reps to use you can also let them know what you think of them the hard way; write a response to their post.

I feel that having more than one per day to hand out may make people less motivated to respond with words.

If you run out of neg reps to use you can also let them know what you think of them the hard way; write a response to their post.

I feel that having more than one per day to hand out may make people less motivated to respond with words.

I'm not going to say i have never given neg rep because I was too lazy to respond but most of the time it's because response simply doesn't work. There are a couple of threads currently ongoing where rational response is being ignored and totally unsupported horse feathers is being used to support unsupportable assertions. I have neg reped a couple of times in those threads once it became obvious that the people replying had no interest in any thing other than the sound of their own key boards....

Actually pos rep can be used to show a negative response as well by supporting someone who is making a rational argument against someone who is nucking futs, far too many good posts get lost in the confusion of batshitcrazy threads and supporting the lone voice in the wilderness is almost as good as neg reping the bad posts...

I have posted on "another forum" where the recipient of neg rep gets a notification of who did it and you have to defend your neg rep, puts a bit of a new spin on neg rep... sadly the one time I did neg rep it was due to a misunderstanding and i was flamed big time for it...

While we're at it, can we up the +rep limit? I run out sometimes.

I run out of pos rep regularly, I like to encourage new people as much as possible and sometimes one thread will use up all my pos rep....

I'd like to know who has awarded the negative rep (and the positive).

Looks like this is available now with the upgraded forum software in the User CP under the Likes section (third down on the left).

Keep to the old system I suggest. With better public transparency of who applies negative and positive rep it's not so easily abused...I'm assuming we can see who applies what like in the 'like' mode? At least we can show disapproval of a post but in the Like system you can't.

Edited by StringJunky

So, I get a choice between several systems: positive rep, negative rep, both, and "Like This". What does everyone prefer?

Does the pos/neg come with the option to see who clicked what like the "like this" does? Also, "like this" feels too facebooky to me.