Drinking Milk and eating red meat together

bloodhound

where i come from, they say driking milk and eating red meat together is bad, as it causes hard to your body. I was wondering if there is any scientific basis in that?

[edit]I am not jewish. it seems religion seems to crop all the time. I just wanna know from a pure scientific viewpoint[/edit]

I had never heard that before, although I know Jewish law says not to eat dairy and meat together, so maybe there is some basis for it from "way back when." (Such as with their pork taboo, which originated because of common diseases from infected pork meat). Lots of times traditions that seem pointless now served a function at some point...anyway, if you find the answer I'm definitely interested to hear it.

I think eating red meat alone is bad enough for you as you can easily get infections from uncooked meat.

I could be wrong, but I think the original question was referring to "red meat" as in beef, (in contrast to to "white meat" such as poultry), not "red meat" as in rare/undercooked.

mmm, raw chicken... um, NO!

well red meat seems ok for your health as does milk, so obviously the only possible problem would be compatability between the two.

i cant really see why there would be, i mean, how many foods are there which are not good for you eaten together?

at the same time the only reason people even consider this originated from some religions banning it... i spose a good starting point would be to ask why did some religions ban it?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why this would be and I'm not going to look it up, but the Jewish law was given long before refridgerators to people who lived out in the hot Middle Eastern desert. Could something like bacteria developing in milk and meat be a reason for the original Jewish law? Like if a certain amount of bacteria or something built up in the meat and a certain amount in the milk and alone the amount that would be consumed would be fine but together it was enough to cause at least some kind of health problem?

• 2 weeks later...
I had never heard that before, although I know Jewish law says not to eat dairy and meat together, so maybe there is some basis for it from "way back when." (Such as with their pork taboo, which originated because of common diseases from infected pork meat). Lots of times traditions that seem pointless now served a function at some point...anyway, if you find the answer I'm definitely interested to hear it.

Even though I am not jewish, I have heard that in practice, one shall not 'eat the mother and calf in the same meal'

I am not sure if this pertains to a biological, or merely a theological standpoint. I dunno just my $0.02

My scripture teacher sophomore year told us that somehow using the same bowl for meat and milk caused disease among Isrealites. I didn't believe a lot of things she said, and this makes no scientific sense to me, but the idea is out there.

As pointed out above, a lot of these rules do have origins that make sense, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was some good explanation for this one. I just haven't heard one that I can believe yet.

Well, I would imagine that most people have eaten fresh meat and milk together (even a cheeseburger sort of fits that). The thing to try would be spoiled meat and spoiled milk together. Problem is there's no control there (you eat it and get sick, ok, but maybe it was just the spoiled meat and the milk/meat combo had nothing to do with it).

So aside from the fact that it wouldn't be a very good thing to try, it seems that a meaningful experimental procedure would be tough to come by (unless you find lots of people willing to eat spoiled food). :)

Alas.

• 7 years later...

I have heard from many sources that red meat is not easily digested. If you look at a palio-diet, which is a diet based on the belief that we were evolved on a scavengers diet before mankind started hunting and gathering, and eventually farming making food sources available that were not available during the majority of our evolutionary history, it says that red meat is a very minor portion of food that is ment to be eaten and pur body's have more trouble digesting the massive amounts that we eat in modern culture. Milk falls in the same category,we don't have the proper enzymes to break down milk, especially the milk of other animals ment for thier babies, and it coats our stomach. In turn, eating red meat and drinking milk overloads our digestive system and it just doesn't digest well causing constipation and the body not to absorb the nutrients available in the food. If you consider food a life source for your body, then why buy food and eat it in a way that causes you to lose the reason for purchasing it in the first place?

i didnt mean raw meant. what the hell??? who would wanna eat raw meat in the first place.

People who appreciate good food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare

I have heard from many sources that red meat is not easily digested.

Milk falls in the same category,we don't have the proper enzymes to break down milk,

http://xkcd.com/285/

I'm not a bible reader, but I read there is a commandment in a part of the bible that has a large number of lesser known/ignored commandments, often pretty loony, so rarely brought up, that you must not eat lamb/Baby animals? cooked in it's mother's milk. (A small sense of rare compassion/guilt/empathy? Tho' if the law was made, it points to it being a fairly frowned upon yet continued act, else why bring in a law?).

Altho that minor commandment wasn't one mentioned, as I recall, I think Stephen Fry on QI quoted other entertaining or embarrassing commandments listed AND actually identified where you will find these. if anyone is looking for an excuse for a weekend of QI or actually KNOWS. I mean to memorise it, simply because it is SO annoying to be vague, but there it is. I'm old and on the downward slide. I think perhaps Richard Dawkins may have mentioned it, too - or it may have been a chap next to him, on a tv debate or discussion, sometime in the last 20/30 years or more. I think it is in the same part of the Bible that says you must not vex a stranger, too, and I think mentions stonings.

http://youtu.be/oSfUvXiNKtc it starts at 15:20

Is this the list you're looking for. There is another one which mentions odd commandments, I remember seeing it too, but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Back on Topic. I eat red meat (Medium rare steak) and drink milk a lot, with no ill effects. Other than to trawl Youtube for amusiing QI moments.

• 4 weeks later...

you should eat fruits between the 3 main meals because it ferments. Who says?

You cant drink milk when eating red meat? who says? Did anyone ever die from this?

Are you asian? then do not drink milk and alcohol.

But hey, if you are caucasian you are perfectly fine in that department.

yeah right.

we are just on the brink of knowledge concerning food. There are certain "blue zones" in the world where people live long and prosper. But we do not even know for sure how much vitamine C we need daily and if it causes to grow stones in your bladder. Mayonaise was once really bad for you, but recent survey has shown that eggs are not the cholesterol bombs they once thought they were.

Try not drink or eat dairy products for 2 weeks. Instead eat beans and peas and fruits like figs and rhubarb.

Maybe dairy is really the shitfactor on our wellbeing.

We land a man on the moon but we do not even know the real deal about vitamine c. Till we know it is a game of keeping close watch on your own diet.

• 2 weeks later...

The version I've heard on that is that you should not drink milk, tea, Coca cola or coffee with red meat or other iron rich food if you have poor iron status or a diet low in iron. This because calcium and polyphenols reduced iron absorption. I guess that it could be argued that you shouldn't combine them otherwise either since the body can not use the nutrients of the meat as well as otherwise, but it should not be directly harmful because of these reasons.

http://web.mit.edu/athletics/sportsmedicine/wcrminerals.html Under the headline "Iron (A trace mineral)"

I'll try and find a good citation for the information I have listed. But it will be two seperate as I have never heard the meat in conjunction with milk argument. Just that both are hard to digest. Also, drinking fluids dilutes the concentration if enzymes in your stomach and there by causes a slightly increased digestive difficulty with any food.

But advice wise, I now drink almond milk. Easy to digest, can be used in cooking or just for drinking and is quite healthy for you, also (once my citations are up) it does not coat the stomach causing issues with absorbing nutrients through the stomach walls. Informal citation on that is that a poison control center will advise you to drink milk if a poisonous chemical is ingested to immediately slow down body absorption of the dangerous ingestion untill further medical action can be taken.

Correction* the poison control center will advise milk to prevent quick absorption due to the coating of the walls if the stomach, not due to the difficulty in digestion.

There is really no scientific evidence of that. Obviously concentration plays a big role, i.e. a ginormous hunk of red meat is going to be tricky to digest in a given amount of time and adding more protein and fat to the mix (regardless of source) will not make things easier.

But in a decent amount it does not really matter whether you eat/drink meat and or milk together or apart. As a side note, there are a couple of dishes where e.g. beef is stewed with milk.

• 4 years later...

Bloodhound was it raw meat you where referring to or red meat as in beef just so its clear.

The combination of raw meat and raw milk creates change in the brain to body's chemical processes (a natural drug if you will , a chemical balance;) , Breach1