Finally in college

The Peon

Finished my Intro to Psych class with a 95 final score. The 4.0 saga continues!

I really enjoyed Psychology. It was interesting learning about the history of it and how it's applied today. Our teacher was amazing, very insightful and patient.

Next is English Composition. I can't say I am looking forward to this one. I guess its kinda like one of those classes you just get through. But thankfully I have been told I am a good writer so it should be easy enough. I just hope it's not boring. My peers tell me that the teacher is one of the best in the University. So that's a plus.

This train is still moving forward! Looking forward to posting in this thread 6 years from now saying how I finally have my PhD!!!

College English is another way of developing your writing skills, but it tests your writing skills more than anything. Simple grammar and punctuation take time to master, but they will not be the most difficult thing to master while pursuing and master a post-secondary level of the English language. The focus will be on argumentation, rhetoric, and persuasion. In other words, it's not so much about truth-seeking as it is persuasion: The exception is that you attempt to argue what you believe to be truth through a metaphysical or physical level of evidence in your mode of persuasion.

For example, if you were to study Western and Eastern theology and philosophy, watch the anime AngelBeats, and then analyze it, you could argue that Angel is the Angel of Death and the character who calls himself "God" is Satan. This would be a metaphysical mode of argumentation based on theological evidence. However, you could also claim from a scientific standpoint that the main protagonist is a paranoid schizophrenic, having and extremely lucid dream, etc..

You'll get the hang of it.

Your grammar and punctuation needs work. Consider working on that, but keep in mind that rhetoric and evidence-based persuasion are what are to be mastered by the time you get done with college English.

Because of these aspects of college English, I often say that people should take philosophy and religion classes before attempting to take college-level English classes. The downside is that many philosophy and theology classes may attempt to ask you to argue a point. However, the philosophy and theology classes are suppose to give you the evidence or modes of evidence in order to argue your point. As such, you're given an itnroduction in how to argue and given the evidence whereby you argue for or against a particular point of view.

After such education, college-level English becomes another philosophy class except you're arguing in English.

Most people do not get rich becoming a scientist. If you were interested in money, then you would want to develop a skillset associated with a field that is more likely to develop money than being a scientist. I have a current hypothesis that all individuals who desire to help science should pursue a field that will enable them to make more money than being a scientist, donate their money to science, and pursue research on the side of the job that enables them to donate the money. As such, you cut-out the governments from limiting money to education and research. You bring more money into science, and you're able to progress science and technology faster than usual. Furthermore, if you're an individual who is donating money, it is less likely that individuals will cut you off from their research group or program.

I've only realized this hypothesis after doing research, spending time with many professors, earning a living, and understanding the economics of science and technology progression.

So, in order words, unless you plan on becoming a medical scientist with a M.D./Ph.D., you may want to reconsider your options, desired level of wealth, and goals.

Again, stuff like this is the reason I'm a large supporter of technical training.

Edited by Genecks

Thanks for the reply and the honesty.

I just started English Composition so I am hoping it will improve my grammar and writing ability.

I am not sure exactly where I will take this education, but I am still leaning towards Genetics, possibly MD in Pathology. My brother is a Neurosurgeon so he has been encouraging me to take that route. I still have many years to decide :) A lot can change till then.

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally finished English Comp1. I feel like I learned a lot in the class, and I hope my grammar is a little better now. The final score was 96, so I remain at a 4.0 GPA. After one more class I will have completed 25% of the credits needed to attain my first degree. It's all very exciting stuff! My next class is Speech, and I am not sure how much I am going to like that one.

Edited by The Peon

• 1 month later...

Speech has been annihilated. Final grade of 98. I retain my 4.0, and what's more the teacher was very impressed with my speaking skills. He asked me the first week if I ever did public speaking before. I guess all those years as a fundamentalist Jehovah's Witness really helped (I am an agnostic atheist now, if you were wondering). I originally thought the class would be boring. The teacher though, was great, and along with the learning we did a lot of really fun activities. In a way I am glad it is over though, since I am not a fan of speaking in front of strangers.

My next class is Biology. It's just a basics class, but I certainly need to brush up and master all the terminology. I will be studying extra hard this class to make sure the information sticks. I may double up my classes next month and finish my last two gen. ed. classes in one shot to get them over with. Then I can finally move on to my core classes and start learning really cool stuff.

Edited by The Peon

• 5 months later...

Well not sure if anyone is still following this, but I have passed several more classes with an A. I am still holding a 4.0 GPA and scored a perfect 100 in my Chemistry class (104 on my final since I scored all 4 bonus questions right). I really enjoyed Chemistry, I never knew it would be so much fun. Seriously considering changing my end goal from Biotechnology to Chemistry.

Edited by The Peon

Well not sure if anyone is still following this, but I have passed several more classes with an A. I am still holding a 4.0 GPA and scored a perfect 100 in my Chemistry class (104 on my final since I scored all 4 bonus questions right). I really enjoyed Chemistry, I never knew it would be so much fun. Seriously considering changing my end goal from Biotechnology to Chemistry.

It's a trap!

• 3 weeks later...