Explorer (start menue etc) crashes when launching my computer or windows explorer.

1veedo

partitions with linux is quite confusing. dont u have to create two partitions. the main one , and the /swap partition as well. /swap basically acts as the pagefile in windows.

No you don't have to. You can use a swapfile like Windows does. But by default Linux creates a seperate partition for /boot and / and /swap. It isn't confusing with todays graphical installers such as the one that comes with fedora. The one that comes with fedora is even nicer then the xp one. :)

1. Insert your Windows Xp Cd-rom and reboot your computer. Your computer should boot from the cd-rom if it dosen't adjust settings in your bios to make this action happen. If it does reboot you should see the words' date=' "Press any key to boot from cd..." or something similar. If you see these words press any key to continue the installer.

[/quote']When I installed Windows it never gave me the option to partition anything. (it just asked if I wanted to install XP...I will loose everything on my computer(C:\) do you wish to continue? Continued and it automatically did EVERYTHING) Right now I have only two physical hardrives showing up as partitions…

Will Linux automatically use the free space on C, or allow me to partition?

Good, got it working!

The first time I tried to install Linux it never asked for the 3rd CD, and as you can imagine, didn't work. But I was persistent and it worked the second.

Although it may be a while before I'm used to it, the layout is much better then XP.

I just have one little question though: where can I find my old F drive?

I fixed my above problem by simple using the installer for partitions. It erased my newly installed windows OS but I dont think I want it anyway. The restore CD for emachines isn't as great as a real XP CD and will probably never notice the partitions. I do have a 6G slot for it though. I'll probably add some other Linux OS instead of XP.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. A sufficiently bad situation turned into a very 'bright' outcome :D

Good' date=' got it working!

The first time I tried to install Linux it never asked for the 3rd CD, and as you can imagine, didn't work. But I was persistent and it worked the second.

Although it may be a while before I'm used to it, the layout is much better then XP.

I just have one little question though: where can I find my old F drive?

I fixed my above problem by simple using the installer for partitions. It erased my newly installed windows OS but I dont think I want it anyway. The restore CD for emachines isn't as great as a real XP CD and will probably never notice the partitions. I do have a 6G slot for it though. I'll probably add some other Linux OS instead of XP.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. A sufficiently bad situation turned into a very 'bright' outcome :D[/quote']

I think you will like Linux! Linux is a operating system with lots of power compared to Windows. Here are some things that you should know since you are new! :)

1. If you installed both Kde & Gnome Window Managers and want to try each one of them out then when you come to the login screen hit the 'sessions' button and it will give you these options to pick from.

-Gnome

-Kde

-Failsafe

Gnome and Kde are shown above on my desktop screenshots and failsafe allows you to login and perform commands to fix your system. Like the Windows Safe Mode but using the command line.

2. If you watch video(s) and like to listen to music on Linux then these downloads are a must have!

XMMS - This program is like the 'Winamp' for Linux. It can play most of the file types Winamp can play (btw a version of Winamp is avaliable for Linux) and is a very nice media player. If you installed all of the sound and audio programs when you installed Linux (by hitting the details button and selecting them all) then you should have xmms installed. Here is the downfall. Due to possiable copyright restrictions redhat has removed mp3 support from all sound/audio applications! Fear not! You can easily download http://dag.wieers.com/packages/xmms-mp3/xmms-mp3-1.2.7-0.rhfc1.dag.i386.rpm that and install it and it will install the mp3 plugin to give you mp3 support for xmms. Now you can go to places like shoutcast and listen to streaming music. Here is a screenshot of xmms.

screenshot3hj.png

If you watch lots of videos then download real player at http://www.real.com. Now here is another download you should have. Xine! http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/ That is a link to download Xine. Just follow the instructions on that page. Make sure you download all of the codecs but not the real ones because you will have downloaded the video player from real.com. You can also check out mplayer and mplayer-plugin for Linux.

I suggest you check this out http://www.fedorafaq.org/#about. Lots of people find Linux hard at first. You will more then likley feel the same but it's something new to learn. And trust me. Lots of corporations use Linux not only on servers but for client systems as well. Putting that you have experience with both the Windows and Linux OS looks good on resumes.

Also on the f:/ drive question. If you did everything right you should be able to go into Gnome and hit the computer icon and see drives in kde you can right click on desktop, find where it says icons and have it show the drives on your computer as icons on your desktop or open a folder and on the services tab that should auto-open unless you removed it you can select 'devices and xx' at the top it has a printer icon next to it. I hope you like Linux!

screenshot11wo.png

And make sure to check out the Link above!

do NOT install real player. its just a piece of crap. unless you really insist on playing rm files.

If you still want to play real player files and don't want to download real player download the real player codecs for xine or mplayer!

hmm.. it seems everyone on linux uses xine to play anime releases. except it seems it still doesnt support ssa/ass subtitle formatting. so u get plain white srt instead.

Maybe Mplayer supports it? And if not then just dual boot.