Explorer (start menue etc) crashes when launching my computer or windows explorer.

1veedo

This used to happen in the past only when viewing the ‘details’ of certain video files. I used to get "Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close..." but later all the explorer functions would just restart with out the friendly little error message. I guess I shouldnt have let this error go unoticed for so long but I’ve just been assuming that it had something to do with not having the ‘proper encodings’ to view the file.[sense I never use media player – VLC and BSPlayer] (I realize that the 'quick view' in the corner is obtained from the file itself as a template so my comp. is not just 'viewing the first frame')

Now, explorer cashes and restarts any time I try to view any folder with windows explorer of my computer. I’ve found a couple links:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Y3l6aydAixEJ:www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm%3Fqid%3D483074+%22my+computer%22+problem+crashes+%22start+menu%22+xp+%22explorer+crashes%22&hl=en

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320563

Aparentally I need to remove Kodak. My dad does use this computer for pictures so I wouldnt dobt this explanation. However, Control Pannel is viewd with the application that crashes explorer so I cannot get to add/remove programs.

1)

Could there be another reason to constitute this problem?

2)

How can I reach Add or Remove Programs?

Edit:

I just found out that my dad does not use Kodak. He knows what the software is and doesnt use it. So forget 2, I need another cause for the error to attempt to fix it.

Note: I use an emachines XP with a celoron.

This used to happen in the past only when viewing the ‘details’ of certain video files. I used to get "Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close..." but later all the explorer functions would just restart with out the friendly little error message. I guess I shouldnt have let this error go unoticed for so long but I’ve just been assuming that it had something to do with not having the ‘proper encodings’ to view the file.[sense I never use media player – VLC and BSPlayer] (I realize that the 'quick view' in the corner is obtained from the file itself as a template so my comp. is not just 'viewing the first frame')

Now' date=' explorer cashes and restarts any time I try to view any folder with windows explorer of my computer. I’ve found a couple links:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Y3l6aydAixEJ:www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm%3Fqid%3D483074+%22my+computer%22+problem+crashes+%22start+menu%22+xp+%22explorer+crashes%22&hl=en

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320563

Aparentally I need to remove Kodak. My dad does use this computer for pictures so I wouldnt dobt this explanation. However, Control Pannel is viewd with the application that crashes explorer so I cannot get to add/remove programs.

1)

Could there be another reason to constitute this problem?

2)

How can I reach Add or Remove Programs?

Edit:

I just found out that my dad does not use Kodak. He knows what the software is and doesnt use it. So forget 2, I need another cause for the error to attempt to fix it.

Note: I use an emachines XP with a celoron.[/quote']

Several things could be causing this! You really can't diagnose the problem if you don't provide us with some more information.

1. When did this problem begin to occur? After or before you installed the latest service pack?

2. Have you installed any programs right before this problem began to occur and if so what programs.

And information such as that. I suggest the first thing you do is do a system restore. A system restore will revert any changes you made to your computer to a past date. Many people have this feature disabled to save disk space or for privacy reasons. If this is your case then maybe you should login in safe mode and check out what is running with your computer, see if programs are causing the error stuff like that.

I do have go back running. The problem is that a couple dLoads finally completed. Would they get deleted? (These were ‘harmless’ files; not exe, archives, etc) I also, just after the problem escalated, installed neptun to run pcpitstop. But I was hopping to actually fix the problem because the same thing has been happening for a very long time and only recently has it gotten worse.

The first time I had this problem was viewing a file. I did some experimenting and found that it only did this when I clicked on certain files (it would load the preview in the corner).

Now it does the exact same thing except it does it anytime I start my computer. So, no, I didnt install any new software nor service packs. (Actually, big fix hasnt given me any updates for a while)

If you use System Restore then yet it will delete some applications you have installed since your copy of Xp has been installed some may not be removed. You should just go ahead and do it. It isn't like you can't install the applications again. Other file(s) will not be removed from your system.

Also you use Xp? (cough http://www.linuxlinks.com/portal/news/article.php?story=20041214152822125

http://www.linuxlinks.com/local/why.shtml cough) =P

I cant believe I forgot about this:

Windows itself crashed just before this problem. For some reason all my applications started closing, wordperfect asked to save, firefox notified me of multiple tab closings etc. I was working on something at the time and fearing that it was trying to reboot I loged off then back in.

It acted a litle wird until I get a message similar to:

Windows has recovered from a fatale system failure.

It said a log has been made, I clicked close, the same message popped up again, hit close, and everything was fine until I noticed my computer would restart explorer. As this guy puts it:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/26f15a281d7da99f/5893112d934f305c?q=Faulting+application+explorer.exe,+version+6.0.2800.1106,+faulting+module+ntdll.dll,+version+5.1.2600.1106&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3DFaulting+application+explorer.exe,+version+6.0.2800.1106,+faulting+module+ntdll.dll,+version+5.1.2600.1106%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#5893112d934f305c

The only time it does it is in windows explorer

never in the internet explorer,one thing that does it is

to hit start then go to the programs and it just freezes

wait a minute and my desktop goes blank just the

wallpaper remains and then its fine,another way is

browsing folders click a folder and then i freezes a

minute then all you see is the desktop pic and then its

fine.

Aparentally this isnt a rare problem because lots of people seem to have it. I noticed Photoshop associate with the problem and have realized that I attempted to install it on my F drive a long time ago unsuccessfully. (It wanted to be on the c drive I guess: I was supposed to do something in my documents after the exe to install it but my problem was that I attempted to get it on F. I gave up and thought nothing more about it.) It is possible that just after photoshop the original problem started. Ironically, I cannot go in and manually look for the install log. Maybe I can look for my error log though and do a specific google for it. Anybody know how I can access the log?

If you use System Restore then yet it will delete some applications you have installed since your copy of Xp has been installed some may not be removed. You should just go ahead and do it. It isn't like you can't install the applications again. Other file(s) will not be removed from your system.
I dont think any of the files I'm concerned abotu would be deleated. I dont want to go that rout simple because I've had this problem for like, probably a year now.

I figure I could restore to a few hours ago before it escalated so I could check into the photohop fix. Of course I forgot the holly grail of computer fixes: reboot! I logged back in and havnt realized till now that my "computer crash event" didnt constitute a reboot. :D

So I'll reboot then if that doesnt work (probably wont) I'll restart again but stop at the go back screen. Maybe photoshop has been causing this problem all along.

PS:

I tried installing linux before on F as a dual boot thing. I got a link to one OS and sourceforge just sent me to a directory of a bunch of files. I couldnt figure out how to install it though.

I dont think any of the files I'm concerned abotu would be deleated. I dont want to go that rout simple because I've had this problem for like' date=' probably a year now.

I figure I could restore to a few hours ago before it escalated so I could check into the photohop fix. Of course I forgot the holly grail of computer fixes: reboot! I logged back in and havnt realized till now that my "computer crash event" didnt constitute a reboot. :D

So I'll reboot then if that doesnt work (probably wont) I'll restart again but stop at the go back screen. Maybe photoshop has been causing this problem all along.

PS:

I tried installing linux before on F as a dual boot thing. I got a link to one OS and sourceforge just sent me to a directory of a bunch of files. I couldnt figure out how to install it though.[/quote']

If you're a new commer to Linux download an ISO File from Linuxiso.org. I suggest Fedora Core! If you do download Fedora you need to download these files.

http://linuxiso.org/download.php/607/FC3-i386-disc1.iso

http://linuxiso.org/download.php/608/FC3-i386-disc2.iso

http://linuxiso.org/download.php/609/FC3-i386-disc3.iso

and burn them to a cd-rom. Then reboot your computer with the first cdrom in and install it! When you come to a screen that says boot: with the fedora logo just press return. Make sure you install it after you install Windows. This way you can still use Windows or Linux. Whatever one you want to use. :)

Cool, thanks.

Go back didnt work (couldnt find valid restore time). This computer also has a little problem with Windows Task Manager and several other things including some specific software issues.

I guess I’m going to copy any files on C to F (probably just my documents) then completely reinstall windows.

Can I install Linux and Windows on the same hardrive? F is just sortof where I put all my stuff. It’s very organized w/o all the other folders on the drive.

And is there any website dedicated to new linux users? (I’ll probably google some but you may already know of some great sites) The reason I havnt reinstalled Windows is because of the hassle of reinstalling all of my software. Hopefully I can find similar application for Linux and just use windows for windows specific stuff. Its just that it seems like I spent along time/ trial and error getting all the “best and coolest” windows stuff, if you know what I mean, and I don’t want to spend along time searching through the Linux equivalent of Media Player, Internet Explorer, etc.

Cool' date=' thanks.

Go back didnt work (couldnt find valid restore time). This computer also has a little problem with Windows Task Manager and several other things including some specific software issues.

I guess I’m going to copy any files on C to F (probably just my documents) then completely reinstall windows.

Can I install Linux and Windows on the same hardrive? F is just sortof where I put all my stuff. It’s very organized w/o all the other folders on the drive.

And is there any website dedicated to [i']new[/i] linux users? (I’ll probably google some but you may already know of some great sites) The reason I havnt reinstalled Windows is because of the hassle of reinstalling all of my software. Hopefully I can find similar application for Linux and just use windows for windows specific stuff. Its just that it seems like I spent along time/ trial and error getting all the “best and coolest” windows stuff, if you know what I mean, and I don’t want to spend along time searching through the Linux equivalent of Media Player, Internet Explorer, etc.

You won't be searching. Tons of programs, free of charge, are avaliable for Linux Users. If you download Fedora you can get 4GB of programs such as media players, browsers and more installed.

You can installed Fedora and Xp on the same hard drive. Just use the instructions I said above! :) Install Xp on half the hard drive and install fedora on the other half.

Look at these Links

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/dual_boot_fedora_xp.php

Basically put the Windows Xp cd-rom in and boot from it. When it ask you what drive you want to install Xp on delete all partitions [accept F] and then create a new one. When it ask you, "How many megabytes should this partition be" put in half of your hard drive. 1Gb = 1,000 Mb. Then install Xp on that new partition. Then after xp install use the guide above (written for fedora core 1 but I suggest you get fedora core three from linuxiso.org) and use the guide above.

hmm... there is a version of ffdshow which makes windows explorer crash upon preview of videos... but the latest one fixes the bug. i dont know if u have ffdshow, but just to let you know

about linux. you might want to download a CD demo before installing the proper thing , just to make sure all ur hardware is compatible.

there are couple of distros

popular ones are Knoppix linux, and Suse LiveCD demo. both of them available at their respective sites. unfortunately some of my hardware doesnt seem to work. uses generic driver for video and doesnt recognise sound card. oh well.

sounds like you may running out of system resources and that causes windows to crash...

how much RAM to you have?

how much virtual memory do you have?

do you have many proccess running in the background?

as always, a good old format wouldnt go amiss, SP2 for XP causes many incompatabilities... such as my brother's digital camera cant work on SP2.

whats the latest news on the prob?

Basically put the Windows Xp cd-rom in and boot from it. When it ask you what drive you want to install Xp on delete all partitions [accept F'] and then create a new one. When it ask you, "How many megabytes should this partition be" put in half of your hard drive. 1Gb = 1,000 Mb. Then install Xp on that new partition. Then after xp install use the guide above (written for fedora core 1 but I suggest you get fedora core three from linuxiso.org) and use the guide above.
One question: Should I format before installing XP? Or does it do that automatically (which is why linux comes second)?
hmm... there is a version of ffdshow which makes windows explorer crash upon preview of videos... but the latest one fixes the bug. i dont know if u have ffdshow' date=' but just to let you know

about linux. you might want to download a CD demo before installing the proper thing , just to make sure all ur hardware is compatible.

there are couple of distros

popular ones are Knoppix linux, and Suse LiveCD demo. both of them available at their respective sites. unfortunately some of my hardware doesnt seem to work. uses generic driver for video and doesnt recognise sound card. oh well.[/quote']I’m beginning to think that maybe these are two separate problems that cause the same thing upon different reasons. I don’t think it has much to do with software because I havnt installed anything recently. I wish I could get to/find that error log so, just out of curiosity, I could find out exactly what was acting up just before windows screwed over.

Does anybody know where error logs are typically stored?

how much RAM to you have?

how much virtual memory do you have?

do you have many proccess running in the background?

I sometimes have WinMX or Shareaza running but not very often.

512mg of RAM and I’m mot sure how much virtual memory I have.

windows XP has its own format service.

boot from the XP CD

select instal windows

DONT DO REPAIR... select instal new copy

delete all partitions so you have one great area of non-partitioned HDD (unless you have specifically partitioned your HDD in which case i can tell ya what to do)

it will format for you

it will then re-instal windows for you

you need to select a couple of language/time options

all takes under 1 hour

you will need to reinstal intergrated software drivers (so make sure you have the CD which would have come with your computer - if not get em off the net)

(whole process requies a couple of reboots here and there, make sure to boot up from the HDD with the CD still in the CD drive - boot up from CD only the first time - this is very important)

To install Fedora Core Three & Windows Xp

1. Insert your Windows Xp Cd-rom and reboot your computer. Your computer should boot from the cd-rom if it dosen't adjust settings in your bios to make this action happen. If it does reboot you should see the words, "Press any key to boot from cd..." or something similar. If you see these words press any key to continue the installer.

2. Once the installer has finnished loading you will be given three options. The first option, the option we want, should say, "To setup Windows XP now press Enter." Press Enter. You should now be asked where you want to installed Windows Xp. Delete all of your partitions accept any of them you want to keep (in your case f:) and press 'c' to create a new one. Create a new partition about half the size of your hard drive. I have a 40GB Hard Drive so when it asks me how big the partition should be I will put in 20,000 (20 Gigs). 1,000 megabytes is 1 Gigabyte. Format the file system in any file system of your choice.

3. Once you have completed this step then install xp on that new partition you have created.

4. Once xp is installed insert the Linux installer cdrom. Follow the instructions on it. When it comes to a 'partitions' screen then select 'Automatically partiton my drive' and when it ask you how to partition your drive select 'keep all existing partitions and use avaliable free space' and finnish the installer. I would make sure that you install all the packages on the cd-rom. Lots of applications are avaliable with the cd-rom themselfs. (On fedora make sure to select the 'details' button and check all the applications you want for that catagorey.

You now have Windows Xp and Linux installed. Linux is a very nice operating system. Fedora comes with Gnome by default and also allows you to install kde. This is my gnome desktop

screenshot8ql.png

and this is my kde desktop all on the same linux box.

decemberdesktop3xy.png

See the diffrence? You can pick other ones like fluxbox and others as well! I suggest you install both window managers. Since you are used to Windows Linux may be difficult to get used to at first but once you do you will love it! Did I mention that Linux has less then 100 viruses and these viruses can't do much harm unless you run them as root. Check out Linuxlinks.com the beginners section for stuff for Linux Newbies!

just dont rush it.... if u have a laptop there is a site to check if iits compatible with the machine. i cant remember i site i used to go to. just did a quick serach and found another good one

http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html

ill edit my post if i manage to find the other one

Linux has been known to have problems with labtops. This is becomming less true as time goes on. :embarass:

I dont have a labtop though...Just two emachines running a celeron.

Thanks for all your help. I'm downloading the ISOs as we speak. I can't wait till my computer is good, and new, and Linuxy :D Too bad I've never install Linux before this! I remember attempting it along time ago with an open source forum that put together their own distribution (I forget the site but it was recommended by a friend who's big into Linux...apparentally he wanted me to test it or something).

I'll probably take up C++ again but with Linux instead of Windows.

Do you guys recommend any books? Not Linux programming but just the OS itself.

I debated with several distros. Behave Linux caught my eye but I eventally decided on Fedora. College linux actually looked pretty cool though, I think I'm going to play around with it a bit in the neer future.

As far as installing my first version of linux, I have one comment/question:

I dont have any partisions but made references to F and I think the explinations above used the premise of me having two partitions (C and F). F is actallu another physical hardrive. If I tell windows to partition half the hardrive, is it going to erase everything of F as well? Or when I tell Linux to take the rest available space is it going to overite F? I dont think it will but I just have too much data on it to not be certain.

Thanks.

I dont have a labtop though...Just two emachines running a celeron.

Thanks for all your help. I'm downloading the ISOs as we speak. I can't wait till my computer is good' date=' and new, and Linuxy :D Too bad I've never install Linux before this! I remember attempting it along time ago with an open source forum that put together their own distribution (I forget the site but it was recommended by a friend who's big into Linux...apparentally he wanted me to test it or something).

I'll probably take up C++ again but with Linux instead of Windows.

Do you guys recommend any books? Not Linux programming but just the OS itself.[/quote']

I suggest you learn C first and then C++. C is far more powerful then C++ and most of Linux and Windows and all other operating systems are written in C. Linux comes with tons of programming tools and languages. Fedora comes with

-gcc/g++ and Java support if you install that

-TONS OF NICE IDE'S

and more! :) I am glad you are trying out Linux. If you are on a wireless connection then let me know. There are steps you may need to take to get that to work.

I debated with several distros. Behave Linux caught my eye but I eventally decided on Fedora. College linux actually looked pretty cool though' date=' I think I'm going to play around with it a bit in the neer future.

As far as installing my first version of linux, I have one comment/question:

I dont have any partisions but made references to F and I think the explinations above used the premise of me having two partitions (C and F). F is actallu another physical hardrive. If I tell windows to partition half the hardrive, is it going to erase everything of F as well? Or when I tell Linux to take the rest available space is it going to overite F? I dont think it will but I just have too much data on it to not be certain.

Thanks.[/quote']

Nope! Make sure you don't delete the f:/ partiton or w/e when you create the partition in windows xp installer and on Linux just select 'keep partitions use free space' and you will be fine. The partitions will only be deleted if you tell it to.

I suggest you learn C first and then C++. C is far more powerful then C++ and most of Linux and Windows and all other operating systems are written in C. Linux comes with tons of programming tools and languages. Fedora comes with
I already “know,” to an extent, C++. I’ve written some applications for ms dos in the past but I’ve never been very good with actual windows programming.
and more! :) I am glad you are trying out Linux. If you are on a wireless connection then let me know. There are steps you may need to take to get that to work.
I have ethernet running between two computers down here (my basement) and a wireless router connects an older win98 upstairs. And now that I think of it, the new router was installed using this computer.
Nope! Make sure you don't delete the f:/ partiton or w/e when you create the partition in windows xp installer and on Linux just select 'keep partitions use free space' and you will be fine. The partitions will only be deleted if you tell it to.
Oh, now I understand, thanks.