Invisibility and Teleportation

has anyone heard of the "Philadelphia experiment" where:

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq21-1.htm

Allegedly' date=' in the fall of [b']1943 a U.S. Navy destroyer was made invisible and teleported[/b] from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Norfolk, Virginia, in an incident known as the Philadelphia Experiment. Records in the Operational Archives Branch of the Naval Historical Center have been repeatedly searched, but no documents have been located which confirm the event, or any interest by the Navy in attempting such an achievement.

i just saw a link to this from another site and a Google search on "Philadelphia Experiment" brings up plenty of very specific sites... so this doesnt look like a minor hoax, more a major hoax.

i dont see how it could possibly be possible (esp. considering the technology of those days) so is this all just a big hoax?

i assume so - but if so, why has it become seemingly almost legendary?

the idea was to acheive Radar invisibilty, instead it did a little more that that and went to Optical as well, look up Carlos Miguel Alende also, you`ll get his story too.

don`t underestimate the power of thermionic Valves either, they kick a$$ outa transistors in MANY applications :)

"Teleportation is practically impossible except on the molecular level. NASA claimes to have done it."

I recall someone claiming to have teleported a teacup-sized object (probably a teacup). Most likely just rumors, since they still haven't teleported my fresh cup of tea from Sri Lanka. >:/

Edit: And now that we've even gotten swansont all scared and confused, we should probably decide what sort of teleportation we're actually talking about. :)

I read this a while ago so my info might be a bit unclear. So far I haven't been able to find any links.

Here goes. There are three different atoms. Atom A has contact with Atom B although atom A has no contact with Atom C. So atom B is the linking point. Through Atom B, Atom C becomes an exact replica of Atom A with no contact. Although this cannot be really called teleportation this is to me the closest we have come to doing it. The Flying Dutchman and The Teleported Ship are nothing but rumors.

has anyone heard of the "Philadelphia experiment" where:

i assume so - but if so' date=' why has it become seemingly almost legendary?[/quote']

Because of the film: -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087910/

I'm not quite sure which one came first, but the Philadelphia experiment was a plot device in at least 3 other films in the 1980's.

Guest iamunique42

I heard that the teleporting destroyer was disastrous and that the crew onboard materialized (as if transported in Star Trek) halfway through decks, inside engines actively running, and that a good chink of it went missing mid transit, but, after it being nothing more confirmed than scuttlebutt after 61 years, I don't think that there's much truth to it. I did, however, hear that Nasa managed to disassemble a desk lamp on the atomic level and reassemble it on the other side of the room over the course of a month not too long back, if you consider that teleportation.

As for invisibility, the American Military is experimenting with possibly using Carbon 60 nano tubes to produce active-camoflauge suits like those seen in the video game Halo, but has yet to determine whether such a route is possible, practical and affordable enough to begin a project on it.

Who knows, maybe when those now in the womb pass on into death they'll be shot from one of those giant rings. TTFN!

I did' date=' however, hear that Nasa managed to disassemble a desk lamp on the atomic level and reassemble it on the other side of the room over the course of a month not too long back, if you consider that teleportation.

[/quote']

I'll need a link or a reference. "I hear that" isn't exactly peer-review.

I did' date=' however, hear that Nasa managed to disassemble a desk lamp on the atomic level and reassemble it on the other side of the room over the course of a month not too long back, if you consider that teleportation.

[/quote']

This cannot be true and if you have no evidence to support this (such as a link) why bring it up?

We have nothing but rumors on the Philadelphia experiment. I belive it could have happened tho it was most likiley a fluke that anything happened. What probily happened was that some branch of the military had someone use a energy feild generator onboard a ship and when they did so the ship vanished and reappeard somewhere elce in much worse condition. We don't have any solid information on what happened so we can olny speculate. We can't replicate the conditions of the expirement cause we don't know them.

it is not being researched and the american government deny it and have for 60 years!
With a different referent on this thread Swansont noted

"I hear that" isn't exactly peer-review.

I would incline to view denials by the US government in a similar light.

Notwithstanding, the Philadelphia Experiment remains a good yarn, nothing more.