gas collection aparatus melts

ammonium nitrate

i was attempting to collect some gas from the reaction of 3HCl+Al>AlCl3+3H ((is this right?) it has a noxious odor so i always wear a mask but hydrogen i odorless?) but the reaction bubbled enough to blow a chunk of Al into the rubber tubing which then melted in the heat, how can i avoid this? the hole in the tube was coincedentaly the right size that escaping gas put newtons 3rd law in place and acid got sprayed everywhere :o

First of all, the gas you produce is probably a combination of H2 (hydrogen, odorless, although very explosive) and HCl (a very strong acid). The conversion to H2 is not complete.

Secondly, you probably want to rebuild your setup, so that it gets inherently more safe. Limiting your HCl flow rate will also reduce the reaction speed.

Finally, if your goal is to make hydrogen, there are safer ways to do that. Electrolysis of water is probably safer.

i was attempting to collect some gas from the reaction of 3HCl+Al>AlCl3+3H ((is this right?) it has a noxious odor so i always wear a mask but hydrogen i odorless?) but the reaction bubbled enough to blow a chunk of Al into the rubber tubing which then melted in the heat, how can i avoid this? the hole in the tube was coincedentaly the right size that escaping gas put newtons 3rd law in place and acid got sprayed everywhere :o

Electrolysis of water is far too slow, producing only a very small amount of H2 in a few hours.

If you want to prevent your rubber tubing from melting, I think you should dilute the HCl a bit so that the reaction is less vigorous and doesn't heat up as much. Using large chunks of Al also helps, as opposed to foil. To get rid of any HCl that might have mixed together with the produced H2, bubble the gas through dilute baking soda solution, then collect it.

Heat input rate + Heat creation rate = Heat output rate +Heat accumulation rate

Heat creation rate = reaction rate of the reaction

Heat input rate =0

Reaction rate = Heat output rate + Heat accumulation rate

For the reaction heat output rate by conduction is not high, heat accumulation rate in the reactor is increased.

So increased reactor temperature induces the reactants or products rapid evaporation.

Heat output is mainly established by reactants and products convection.

Reducing the reaction rate or increasing conductive heat transfer, by using cooling system, is a key factor to establish the reaction safely.

Reactant dilution is one of the methods to reduce the reaction rate.