Characteristic oscillation of elements

Externet

Hello.

Can someone direct me where to look for a list of the characteristic frequency, vibration or oscillation of the elements?

From atomic clocks information I was able to collect figures for only 3:

Rubidium = 6.834,682,612 GHz

Cesium = 9.192,631,770 GHz

Hydrogen = 1.420,...,... GHz

Am looking for the rest, or whatever is known.

Thanks,

Miguel

Hello.

Can someone direct me where to look for a list of the characteristic frequency' date=' vibration or oscillation of the elements?

From atomic clocks information I was able to collect figures for only 3:

Rubidium = 6.834,682,612 GHz

Cesium = 9.192,631,770 GHz

Hydrogen = 1.420,...,... GHz

Am looking for the rest, or whatever is known.

Thanks,

Miguel[/quote']

Those values are for hyperfine interactions in the ground state. Any given atom has many transitions possible. e.g. Rb has a D2 transition at ~780 nm, and Cs at ~852 nm, which represent a transition to the first excited state (S1/2 to P3/2). Within that are the individual transitions from the two hyperfine-split ground states to the four excited states (six total transitions, since angular momentum can't change by more than one unit of [math] \hbar [/math]).

The CRC handbook has an extensive listing of transitions. Also spectroscopy journal articles.

"Those values are for hyperfine interactions in the ground state. Any given atom has many transitions possible. e.g. Rb has a D2 transition at ~780 nm, and Cs at ~852 nm, which represent a transition to the first excited state (S1/2 to P3/2). Within that are the individual transitions from the two hyperfine-split ground states to the four excited states (six total transitions, since angular momentum can't change by more than one unit of \hbar ). "

Uhhuh... I knew that the second definition had the hyperfine-from-ground-state thing but I had no idea about that stuff you just explained. Well, in quantum mechanics you learn something new every day (and in my case, it's usually too much :) ).

Hi.

From my poor understanding, a cesium clock could then be made to work also at other characteristic transition frequencies ?

Hello atinymonkey.

The link referred does not work, received this :

" Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster "

¿Can you please confirm it was properly copied?

Miguel

"The link referred does not work, received this :

" Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster "

¿Can you please confirm it was properly copied?"

If that was the about-exact copy of this thread you posted in the physics section, then Sayonara probably used his awesome m0dpowerZ to delete it. :)

Hi.

From my poor understanding' date=' a cesium clock could then be made to work also at other characteristic transition frequencies ?

[/quote']

In principle, yes. But not all transitions will make good clocks, because they might not be particularly narrow or may be otherwise unsuitable.

Until recently the problem was that you could not count the oscillations very easily, so using a transition at higher than microwave frequencies was a non-starter. But in the last few years, laser and optical technologies have advanced to the point that you can make a coherent transition from microwaves all the way up into the visible, using a frequency-comb generator made from a femtosecond laser and nonlinear fiber.

Hi.

From my poor understanding' date=' a cesium clock could then be made to work also at other characteristic transition frequencies ?[/quote']

The thread he linked you to was your duplicate of this thread, which was soft-deleted when this one got a reply.

He was trying to be funny.