elements

Hugh23

I have just joined ScienceForums. I live in the south of England and have amassed quite an element collection over the years, as well as associated oxides/salts and general laboratory chemicals.

I now wish to sell them but don't know how to go about it. I would appreciate any advice that Forum members could give me.

Thank you, Hugh23

I have just joined ScienceForums. I live in the south of England and have amassed quite an element collection over the years, as well as associated oxides/salts and general laboratory chemicals.

I now wish to sell them but don't know how to go about it. I would appreciate any advice that Forum members could give me.

Thank you, Hugh23

1) Offer what you have. Have prices, shipping, etc. on hand in case of inquiries.

2) If possible, sell on EBay. EBay has a known system for buying, shipping, etc.

So... let's start with #1. What do you have, and what are you willing to sell it for? :)

1) Offer what you have. Have prices, shipping, etc. on hand in case of inquiries.

2) If possible, sell on EBay. EBay has a known system for buying, shipping, etc.

So... let's start with #1. What do you have, and what are you willing to sell it for? :)

Hi elementcollector1, thanks for replying. What I put was a bit brief. I would be a bit concerned about putting it on ebay or sending it by post. I wil do you a complete list if you want, but there is a bar of Uranium over an inch long, also 500g of Arsenic lump in the collection, so I was concerned about how and who to I should sell it to. Also, I just don't know what to ask for them. I have collected them over many years, but none of them have been purchased (in fact, until I found this site I didn't realise that there were places you could by them from).

Sorry if this sounds a bit vague, but initially it was your advice I was seeking. I didn't know whether there were science clubs or whatever that might be interested. I also didn't know on the legality of selling these hazardous things (particularly such a large amount of Arsenic).

Are you in England? Thanks again, Hugh23

Hi elementcollector1, thanks for replying. What I put was a bit brief. I would be a bit concerned about putting it on ebay or sending it by post. I wil do you a complete list if you want, but there is a bar of Uranium over an inch long, also 500g of Arsenic lump in the collection, so I was concerned about how and who to I should sell it to. Also, I just don't know what to ask for them. I have collected them over many years, but none of them have been purchased (in fact, until I found this site I didn't realise that there were places you could by them from).

Sorry if this sounds a bit vague, but initially it was your advice I was seeking. I didn't know whether there were science clubs or whatever that might be interested. I also didn't know on the legality of selling these hazardous things (particularly such a large amount of Arsenic).

In America, unfortunately.

Both arsenic and uranium should be legal to sell, I think. They're both extremely hazardous, so shipping would be very, very high.

For hazardous materials, shipping's going to be through the roof but a lot of members I know over at sciencemadness.org would pay a pretty penny for an inch of uranium metal, or 500g of arsenic. And some of them do live in England as well.

For uranium's price, a bar like that is going to be pretty expensive, but it really depends on the gram weight of the thing.

As for the arsenic, 500g has got to be worth at least $100. The only site I found that sells arsenic cheaply has 7.492g for $14.05, so you'd get over $900 if you applied the same cost ratio to your 500g.

Alternatively, if you don't want to sell the whole thing or sell such expensive amounts, it might attract more customers to have the materials cut into smaller pieces, which can be sold for cheaper (and make everyone far happier).

Don't sell this stuff to science clubs, because if my science club is any standard, there is no way they would allow anyone to even see these two elements, let alone examine their properties. :P

Happy vending!

-EC1

In America, unfortunately.

Both arsenic and uranium should be legal to sell, I think. They're both extremely hazardous, so shipping would be very, very high.

For hazardous materials, shipping's going to be through the roof but a lot of members I know over at sciencemadness.org would pay a pretty penny for an inch of uranium metal, or 500g of arsenic. And some of them do live in England as well.

For uranium's price, a bar like that is going to be pretty expensive, but it really depends on the gram weight of the thing.

As for the arsenic, 500g has got to be worth at least $100. The only site I found that sells arsenic cheaply has 7.492g for $14.05, so you'd get over $900 if you applied the same cost ratio to your 500g.

Alternatively, if you don't want to sell the whole thing or sell such expensive amounts, it might attract more customers to have the materials cut into smaller pieces, which can be sold for cheaper (and make everyone far happier).

Don't sell this stuff to science clubs, because if my science club is any standard, there is no way they would allow anyone to even see these two elements, let alone examine their properties. :P

Happy vending!

-EC1

Hi EC1, thanks for your answer. I have just tried FOUR times to get on to sciencemadness and failed the image verification each time!

I read their posts, and some are interested in the elements, but I couldn't tell who was in England.

Thanks again for your help, and please could you remember my request should you ever get in touch with these English collectors.

I don't really want to start cutting these things up into small amounts, I would rather someone had the lot and do it themselves if they wished, hence the preference to find an English collector. None of them is in ampoules, they are in odd bottles (some in oil), wrapped in lead, etc etc

If you do get in contact with any of them, I could prepare a list of the whole collection, weigh them, and send photos. Cheers, Hugh23

Edited by Hugh23

Hi EC1, thanks for your answer. I have just tried FOUR times to get on to sciencemadness and failed the image verification each time!

I read their posts, and some are interested in the elements, but I couldn't tell who was in England.

Thanks again for your help, and please could you remember my request should you ever get in touch with these English collectors.

I don't really want to start cutting these things up into small amounts, I would rather someone had the lot and do it themselves if they wished, hence the preference to find an English collector. None of them is in ampoules, they are in odd bottles (some in oil), wrapped in lead, etc etc

If you do get in contact with any of them, I could prepare a list of the whole collection, weigh them, and send photos. Cheers, Hugh23

http://zeemaps.com/map?group=388676&add=1

That should help you as to who's in England.

As for registering, the only advice I can give is to keep trying. The image thing for sciencemadness was pretty difficult for me as well, if I recall correctly.

If you can't get in after a couple more tries, let me know and I'll contact the members who are in England.

-EC1

Hi EC1, I've tried again and failed again. Presumably these English contacts are also members of ScienceForums, so I would appreciate your offer of contacting them for me, then they could contact me through SF.

Thanks again for your help during this, it is much appreciated. Hugh23

How much would you sell the uranium for, and how much does it weigh? Do you have a CPM reading? Is it enriched, depleted, or natural? I might be interested. Good luck getting it past customs though. I only have granular/coarse powder of it, and I'm afraid to melt the stuff. Uranium oxide in the air definitely wouldn't be healthy for the environment. Do you have any rubidium? Iridium? Might want those as well, depending on how much you have.

How much would you sell the uranium for, and how much does it weigh? Do you have a CPM reading? Is it enriched, depleted, or natural? I might be interested. Good luck getting it past customs though. I only have granular/coarse powder of it, and I'm afraid to melt the stuff. Uranium oxide in the air definitely wouldn't be healthy for the environment. Do you have any rubidium? Iridium? Might want those as well, depending on how much you have.

I think Hugh is only looking to sell to UK collectors for exactly that reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very sorry to say that none of the members in England seem to want your stuff, Hugh. Best of luck for whatever you decide to do with them...

Hi EC1

That's a shame, I had been weighing and photographing them in preparation.

I hadn't undone the U for over 25 years (it's wrapped in lead). It was longer than I had remembered and it is 78.5 gm. The corners appear to have melted the corners of the lead.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help with this matter - I don't know how to contact anyone now - back to the drawing board!.

Cheers, Hugh

Hi EC1

That's a shame, I had been weighing and photographing them in preparation.

I hadn't undone the U for over 25 years (it's wrapped in lead). It was longer than I had remembered and it is 78.5 gm. The corners appear to have melted the corners of the lead.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help with this matter - I don't know how to contact anyone now - back to the drawing board!.

Cheers, Hugh

How about contacting firms that make element collections to sell?

How about contacting firms that make element collections to sell?

As far as I know, Theo Gray, RGB and a few others haven't been active for quite a while, if at all. Metallium is still up, but I don't know if they take samples (though they do make all their stuff), and I can't think of any other sites that *might* take such samples.

If Theo were still updating his website, he would be my pick; he has lots of interesting stuff in that Periodic Table Table of his and it wouldn't hurt to add some more.