Defeating CO2 (Green House Gasses)

Rotunda

As I understand it, Calcium Hydroxide (which is a common compound in various industries) will react with Carbon Dioxide Gas to form Water and Calcium Carbonate. It seems that CaCO3 is popular in many industries and reducing CO2 levels are a necessity.

So the question is, would delivering and dispersing a payload of Calcium Hydroxide be reasonable? Also am I missing anything? I feel that someone had to have come up with this idea already.

As I understand it, Calcium Hydroxide (which is a common compound in various industries) will react with Carbon Dioxide Gas to form Water and Calcium Carbonate. It seems that CaCO3 is popular in many industries and reducing CO2 levels are a necessity.

So the question is, would delivering and dispersing a payload of Calcium Hydroxide be reasonable? Also am I missing anything? I feel that someone had to have come up with this idea already.

One of the most common preps for calcium hydroxide is to take calcium carbonate (seashells, eggshells, etc) and heat to insanely high temperatures (hence 'calcining') to decompose to CaO (which is then dissolved in water to yield Ca(OH)2) and CO2. As you might have guessed by now, this would not affect CO2 production because the amount of CO2 absorbed by the calcium hydroxide to turn into CaCO3 is exactly the amount of CO2 given off from the decomposition of said CaCO3.

Researchers consider something similar that has a better outlook than calcium hydroxide.

Silicates of metal would be reacted with carbon dioxide to produce silica and metal carbonate, which are both solids. Or some intermediate combination os silica and carbonate.

• 1 month later...

Um... The closest thing to what I've heard about this topic, would be to take calcium carbonate from the land environment (eggs and whereever else) and place them in the sea or other bodies of water. The water will absorb some CO2, the calcium carbonate will pick it up and keep it there untill it's removed from the water or heated up.

I actually have been wanting to work on an experiment to be able to remove CO2 from the environment and give out coal and oxygen... I'm half way through my research, just need to find a little bit more, then I just need to try the experiment... kinda dangerous though :(

and another problem is... CO2 isn't the only problem, methane is as well. We humans LOVE cows and pigs... and they (especially cows) give off TONS of methane, and we have only begone to tap into it as a resource, most of it just goes staight up and makes things worse (other places like swamps produce it via decomposition)

Methane is a more potent greenhouse gas but it doesn't accumulate in the atmosphere as carbon dioxide does. Our atmosphere full of oxygen is quite corrosive to methane.

You don't really have to release carbon from the absorbed CO2. Reacting it with water to release some alcohol or hydrocarbon would be just fine and probably easier to make. More consumers could also use a liquid fuel obtained this way.

To absorb atmospheric CO2, alcalis are fine, especially the cheap CaO dissolved in water. Once turned into CaCO3, it reverts to CaO by heat, say from Sunlight. You can produce a mist, like in the cooling tower of a power plant, to process much air with little power expense (try to put some figures, it's a big worry). Humidity makes air lighter, the tower then moves it for free, provided the surrounding air isn't completely saturated. Scrubbing its CO2 would also make air lighter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooling_tower