The Church of Atheism

Ben Banana

Atheism is the rejection of that.

/me dons Philosopher Hat

Strictly speaking, the above quote is false. The set of all atheists is merely the relative compliment of the set of all humans and the set of all theists. This means that atheism only is the rejection of theism; that is, atheists do not believe that the existence of at least one thing that could aptly be described as a deity is actualized. This, however, has nothing to do with buildings regardless of whether or not they are for worship. There could be a building dedicated to the worship of Charlie Sheen, and atheists could worship there completely without contradiction.

/me doffs Philosopher Hat

/me dons Philosopher Hat

Strictly speaking, the above quote is false. The set of all atheists is merely the relative compliment of the set of all humans and the set of all theists. This means that atheism only is the rejection of theism; that is, atheists do not believe that the existence of at least one thing that could aptly be described as a deity is actualized. This, however, has nothing to do with buildings regardless of whether or not they are for worship. There could be a building dedicated to the worship of Charlie Sheen, and atheists could worship there completely without contradiction.

/me doffs Philosopher Hat

/me searches around frantically for a hat... any hat

Strictly speaking, if you worship Charlie Sheen, this is a religion. Worshipping is a religious act, and worshipping Charlie Sheen means you place him above other mortals. This means you're not an atheist.

Worship (google definition): Show reverence and adoration for (a deity); honor with religious rites.

/me thinks hats are just compensation

Strictly speaking, if you worship Charlie Sheen, this is a religion.

And? Atheism is not the rejection of religion; it's the rejection of theism. While not antitheistic, general Buddhism is atheistic; that is, it doesn't require belief in gods but doesn't necessitate any either. Buddhism just isn't concerned with gods. This is why some sects believe in gods and others don't. This also means there are atheistic Buddhists. Notably, Steven Batchelor has written a few books about atheistic Buddhism in the modern world.

While theism is a subset of religion, it is not the case that religion is also a subset of theism. Thus, the sets are not identical. There can be, and are, religious atheists. Under some legitimate definitions of "religion", Humanism is even a religion.

Worshipping is a religious act, and worshipping Charlie Sheen means you place him above other mortals. This means you're not an atheist.

No, it doesn't.

Join it.

Upon what common set of beliefs would this church focus? It sounds akin to having a church of "nonbelief in the easter bunny" or a church of "nonbelief in unicorns" or a church of "nonbelief in Thor, Zeus, and Apollo." The only characteristic you know that atheists share is the nonbelief in god or gods. Beyond that, there is no unifying set of ideals, worldviews, or beliefs.

It sounds akin to having a church of "nonbelief in the easter bunny" or a church of "nonbelief in unicorns" or a church of "nonbelief in Thor, Zeus, and Apollo." The only characteristic you know that atheists share is the nonbelief in god or gods. Beyond that, there is no unifying set of ideals, worldviews, or beliefs.

That's the idea. ;)

Hearken ye all! Let me preach to ye fools!

I invoke quote #1, from the Bible of Atheism, decided and agreed upon by the singular council of my exclusive authority:

"As long as the reason of man continues fallible, and he is at liberty to exercise it, different opinions will be formed. As long as the connection subsists between his reason and his self-love, his opinions and his passions will have a reciprocal influence on each other; and the former will be objects to which the latter will attach themselves. The diversity in the faculties of men, from which the rights of property originate, is not less an insuperable obstacle to a uniformity of interests."

- James Madison

Of course ye fools, the superior interpretation of this realizes that the counterpart to this doctrine is tithing, worship, obligatory dedication and duty, and senseless sacrifice.

quote #2

"Writing is unfortunately like painting; for the creations of the painter have the attitude of life, and yet if you ask them a question they preserve a solemn silence. And the same may be said of speeches. You would imagine that they had intelligence, but if you want to know anything and put a question to one of them, the speaker always gives one unvarying answer. And when they have been once written down they are tumbled about anywhere among those who may or may not understand them, and know not to whom they should reply, to whom not: and, if they are maltreated or abused, they have no parent to protect them; and they cannot protect or defend themselves."

- Socrates

Now, I don't understand how the hell I can interpret that. I'm not sure if I'm actually supposed to, but perhaps it is entirely literal... Yes! Ink applies to paper just as paint applies to paper! Exactly! How remarkable! Well, hopefully you find this comparison relevant. I guess we're moving on then...

quote #3

"Building a fire pit isn’t expensive or overly hard, and it’s well within the skill set of virtually any DIY’er. Here’s how to go about building your own backyard fire pit: Build your fire pit. Make sure you have a ready source of water close to your fire pit whenever you’re enjoying a fire. Never leave the fire unattended, and be sure you put it completely out when it’s time to go in. Always keep a watchful eye on any children around the fire. Don’t let them run close to the fire, it’s too easy to slip and fall in."

Doctrine manifested in its most pure and holy form, of course, derived from: http://articles.manualsonline.com/building-a-fire-pit.html (note, this part is not an accurate parody of religion. I actually shouldn't mention my source... sorry about that.)

Note: I created this topic to fulfill a duty assigned by a divine immortal: "Oh yes so that you can preach your flawed atheistic position." Here I am, to the accordance of your almighty will.

Edited by Ben Bowen

Upon what common set of beliefs would this church focus? It sounds akin to having a church of "nonbelief in the easter bunny" or a church of "nonbelief in unicorns" or a church of "nonbelief in Thor, Zeus, and Apollo." The only characteristic you know that atheists share is the nonbelief in god or gods. Beyond that, there is no unifying set of ideals, worldviews, or beliefs.

I agree with this in principle, but I think that religions pull this trick as well. People call themselves christian and it makes them feel one with their group, but in reality that label can't be pinned down to more than a few things in common. So if others want to play that game, have at it.

I think of "foreigner" as a good analogy for atheism. When I was in Japan, I would regularly get together with a group of people from all around the world. The only thing we had in common was that we were not from Japan. But, that one thing brought us together to converse and drink.

I agree with this in principle, but I think that religions pull this trick as well. People call themselves christian and it makes them feel one with their group, but in reality that label can't be pinned down to more than a few things in common.

But those "few things" in common are actually quite relevant to their belonging in that particular group. Those few things are that a monotheistic deity came to earth and died for them, that this dead person was later resurrected, the belief in an afterlife... the quality of which is contingent on how you behave while alive, the idea that we are all sinners but sin can be forgiven, and many other similar views. Without those views, the person is at most a cultural christian, which is a different group.

If atheists have any views or beliefs in common, it's by coincidence and is not a result of their nonbelief. I don't really see this as a trick, just a factual observation.

If atheists have any views or beliefs in common, it's by coincidence and is not a result of their nonbelief.

Okay. Fine... At least I can still preach atheism.

Theism is fake!

Theism is fake!

Theism is fake!

Theism is fake!

Theism is fake!

Theism is fake!

Theism is fake!

Theism is fake!

Theism is fake!

Theism is fake!

Theism is fake!

Theism is fake!

Theism is fake!

See, I told you. Of course, now you see my point. :rolleyes:

Finally our odds have been resolved. You know, this is what I've been saying all along: Theism... It's fake.

Now where was I? Oh yeah. So, join the Church of Atheism. Thanks dude.

Also, I appreciate my opportunity to make meaningful discussion about theism being fake here at the ScienceForums.net

Thanks dude.

That's not atheism. Atheism would be "Theism is false!".

Actually, atheism would be, "I'm not theist."

See, I told you. Of course, now you see my point.

No, I really don't. WTF are you on about?

Atheism is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.

Atheism its depending that it including myths, morality, philosophy, opinions about religion, we can divide in to section

Practical atheism,

Theoretical atheism

I have complete the book Advertising link removed by Moderator it have shape of an insistent atheism or atheism and justice to the idea of the death of God'.

Edited by Phi for All
advertising link removed

Oh but for the fun of having fun for no more better, nor of greater fun, than that reason of simply having fun! After a short break for other things here, and not wanting to get back into the deadhead thread I had been in with revolving images of a brain which does nothing more than revolve, I was well humored by this one. Thanks guys ! (of course, congregation would surely have been a better word choice than 'church,' but suffice it to say that the point has been taken.)

Actually, atheism would be, "I'm not theist."

I stand corrected; it is not often that I make a silly mistake such as that.

Theism is (∃x)(Ex•Dx) where E is the property of existing and D is the property of being able to be accurately described as a deity. There is more than one way to not hold this position: one can have ~(∃x)(Ex•Dx) as a member of their premise set, or one could simply not have (∃x)(Ex•Dx) as a member of their premise set. There's nothing saying a premise set must be saturated.

I tip my Philosopher Hat at you and for this you shall be allowed to ride the invisible dragon in my garage.

it is not often that I make a silly mistake such as that.

I completely agree. No worries.

...and for this you shall be allowed to ride the invisible dragon in my garage.

That sounds like dirty innuendo to me for some reason.

After a short break for other things here, and not wanting to get back into the deadhead thread I had been in with revolving images of a brain which does nothing more than revolve, I was well humored by this one.

Yeah... haha. I know where you're coming from. :lol:

Edited by Ben Bowen

• 1 month later...

Father Bowen, I need some advice.

Many times in the past, I have formed freindships with theistic females. Is it moral for me to date a theistic woman if the relationship's continuance is contingent upon her conversion to atheism? This contingency arises because I foresee too many arguments with a theistic girlfriend.

Also, how should I respond to persistent Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses? I've tried being nice, but then they just come back. Must I engage them in arguments about the existence of gods, or should I be rude until they leave me alone? Is there a way to make them feel like they have been rude to me?

Edited by Mondays Assignment: Die