The election and my faith in humanity

ydoaPs

Unfortunately I live in the middle of the state that when a State Trooper asks if you have any ID 90% of the people ask "'bout wut?"

I think I know what you mean, I think your post is funny too, but I am gonna pretend I don't get it and I'm gonna give a serious reply. Because I can.

If people aren't used to state troopers asking for ID (for no apparent reason), that's a good thing, right? I mean, it would be a lot worse if 90% are so used to handing over their ID that it's a second nature.

I think I know what you mean, I think your post is funny too, but I am gonna pretend I don't get it and I'm gonna give a serious reply. Because I can.

If people aren't used to state troopers asking for ID (for no apparent reason), that's a good thing, right? I mean, it would be a lot worse if 90% are so used to handing over their ID that it's a second nature.

I don't know about where you live but in my state if a State Trooper pulls you over you better have some ID, both identification and some idea of what is going on...

I don't know about where you live but in my state if a State Trooper pulls you over you better have some ID, both identification and some idea of what is going on...

Presumably being pulled over is a result of reasonable suspicion that you have committed a crime. Because without that, the police don't have the authority to ask for ID.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_v._Texas

I'm also happy to report that my county voted for a property tax increase to help fund our schools. Tea Party detractors strongly objected to the tax hike that would invest in our children at a cost of $47 per year on a $300,000 home, but enough sane people prevailed and the measure passed. Go Colorado! Go Smart!

Presumably being pulled over is a result of reasonable suspicion that you have committed a crime. Because without that, the police don't have the authority to ask for ID.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_v._Texas

I'm not sure what you mean, routine road checks happen here.. well... routinely...

Colorado is sounding increasingly cool - does this mean I can come and see Rocky Mountain National Park, Mesa Verde, and the Broncos - and be high at the same time?

Kinda gives John Denver more notoriety... :D

I think I might have voted no on Amendment 64. Tax drugs for schools? I think that is misleading. I think the tax money should go for healthcare and increased drug testing, since I think these will be impacted.

John, I would like to hear how you justify drug testing?

Colorado is sounding increasingly cool - does this mean I can come and see Rocky Mountain National Park, Mesa Verde, and the Broncos - and be high at the same time?

They also have a really nice craft brew beer scene, and they've had lots of progress on craft whiskeys that are remarkable coming out of that state.

I'm not sure what you mean, routine road checks happen here.. well... routinely...

Routine checks should never be routine - a reasoned justification that will stand up to a court's scrutiny is such a good start; I don't know about the state/federal law where you are, but the need for a reasonable cause is such a safeguard to liberty. Mandatory stops work, as do reasonable cause, but stop'n'search on a random basis or "just routine" always tend to over emphasize ethnic/religious/cultural minorities

Kinda gives John Denver more notoriety... biggrin.gif

Dunno about John Denver - I didn't even like Annie's Song; but John Elway... he was the epitome of America for me as I was growing up

They also have a really nice craft brew beer scene, and they've had lots of progress on craft whiskeys that are remarkable coming out of that state.

As a devotee of the amber nectar and the owner of two barrels of my own personal single malt (damn I hope it is palatable in 8 and 10 years time) I really must head to Colorado

Routine checks should never be routine - a reasoned justification that will stand up to a court's scrutiny is such a good start; I don't know about the state/federal law where you are, but the need for a reasonable cause is such a safeguard to liberty. Mandatory stops work, as do reasonable cause, but stop'n'search on a random basis or "just routine" always tend to over emphasize ethnic/religious/cultural minorities

In Texas, we now often have "no refusal weekends," and they're becoming more common and frequent.

Basically, cops setup a check point where all cars are funneled single file and cops check them for alcohol use. If the cop thinks they've been drinking, the person is required to take a sobriety test. If the person refuses, the cop restrains them and forcibly takes a blood sample.

http://www.johntfloyd.com/blog/2011/01/no-refusal-blood-draws-spread/

Around here they actually have stops for no reason other than to check your ID, I used to get checked on my way to work a half dozen times a year for sure. God help you if they see you turn trying to avoid the check. On the plus side i went through a check once with a 9mm automatic in the passenger seat and I wasn't even asked about it.

All this started sometime in the mid 80's before that they had to have probable cause to stop you. I would think that if you refused to stop or stopped and refused to show ID you might win in court but who has 1000's of dollars to waste fighting a stop to check your ID? not me for sure.

They often target side roads that lead to industrial sites for some reason. I have been cited three times for an expired drivers license, if I was stopped today i would be ticketed for failure to change my address. I always figured it was more of a way to get money out of people in fines than any real effort to catch criminals.

If you were really polite and took the whole thing in stride the officer would usually give you a court date on a Friday when the court lets everyone go with just a small fine...

Get pissed and act like an asshole and you get a free ride down town...

In Denver, you're always a mile high. I can take you to the highest paved road in the US and a Broncos game in the same day (if it's a pre-season game, before Trail Ridge Road closes). Mesa Verde is in the far southwestern corner about 7 hours from Denver, and you can still explore them if you go on one of the ranger-guided tours. Awe-inspiring, truly.

Dunno about John Denver - I didn't even like Annie's Song; but John Elway... he was the epitome of America for me as I was growing up

And Elway is a cool guy. 30+ years ago I did a Jeep commercial with him, before he owned his own dealerships. In between scenes, he tossed a football around with me and some other actors. We got to see the amazing awesomeness of the "frozen rope". It was bizarre to see a football go so far with no arc to it.

As a devotee of the amber nectar and the owner of two barrels of my own personal single malt (damn I hope it is palatable in 8 and 10 years time) I really must head to Colorado

Come on over. If Obama gets rid of Michele Leonhart as head of the DEA (and since she's not very effective as an expert in her field, this would be the smart thing to do), you may be able to smoke, and you can definitely enjoy our beer, whiskey and mountains. We just turned blue, so we'll probably still be too conservative for you, but you can show us what a true lefty is like.

Right. AFAIK things like sobriety check points have been upheld, because an individual isn't being singled out, but if you get stopped by a cop under normal circumstances, he needs something to count as reasonable suspicion.

Right. AFAIK things like sobriety check points have been upheld, because an individual isn't being singled out, but if you get stopped by a cop under normal circumstances, he needs something to count as reasonable suspicion.

So if they stop everyone it's ok?

getting ready for Obama to ramp up MJ raids.

Really? I'm hoping, since he's not angling for re-election anymore, that he either gets a new head of the DEA who can read the memos, or he reminds Ms Leonhart that the Attorney General asked Justice Dept officials to commit to "efficient and rational use of its limited investigative and prosecutorial resources".

When America acts like a democracy rather than a democratic republic, we get things like equality and recreational use. It is almost enough to restore some faith in humanity.

Are you so sure about that? It appears that Referendum 74 and Initiative 502 in the state Washington are old-time religion. After all, the Bible says that "any man who lies with another man shall be stoned".

John, I would like to hear how you justify drug testing?

I'm just thinking that drug testing might increase. For example, it is becoming more common for students to pass frequent drug tests to do clinical practice. If people start getting their cheeseburgers from stoned people, they might get interested in making sure the people giving them healthcare or driving them aren't stoned.

I don't live in Colorado, so I don't know all the details, but it just seems a little dishonest to tie education to pot use.

Are you so sure about that? It appears that Referendum 74 and Initiative 502 in the state Washington are old-time religion. After all, the Bible says that "any man who lies with another man shall be stoned".

OMG that's funny!

I shalt be breaking the 8th Commandment with this all day long. Thank you very much!