High-level science journalism?

Zorgoth

I am a PhD student and am wondering if there are good publications not relating my direct field of study that are targeted at scientists who aren't experts in a specific field. That is to say, I am looking for leisure-time science reading material that is targeted at people who know lots of math and understand science rather than at the general public. I'm not really too fussy about what sort of science or math I'm reading about.

Any suggestions?

I'm not really too fussy about what sort of science or math I'm reading about.

There are plenty of review articles available, though they will assume a certain level of knowledge. You would have to be more specific here.

New Scientist magazine seems popular.

I think if you google around searching for "periodicals" (and then some other keyword), you might find quite a few magazines, ranging from very popular to super nerdy.

Make sure to add the engineering as a keyword too.

I think you'll be surprised how much there is. Not much is free though.

I would go for some of the science blogs - there is some really good (and un-hyped) science writing out there; Rhett Allen at Wired, Scott Aaronson at Shetl-Optimized, Chad Orzel at uncertain principles, Mooey, AJB and Tom Swanson here at SFN. All the science bloggers tend to cross-reference all the time and you will be able to surf from one to the other and find the guys and girls who "hit the right note" for you with their explanations and articles.

The institute of physics does some good news aggregating http://www.iop.org/news/