Perpetual motion electrical generators

The Peon

No, it is not possible, unless the laws of physics change with time. The device at the end of the video is a hoax. Prior to that, every machine had some person doing work to add energy.

Ya obviously it would require a manual start, but once it gets going couldn't you use magnets at alternating distances to bleed off speed so it doesn't continue building momentum and thus keeping the energy in a closed system?

Ya obviously it would require a manual start, but once it gets going couldn't you use magnets at alternating distances to bleed off speed so it doesn't continue building momentum and thus keeping the energy in a closed system?

There is nothing to bleed off, because it won't keep building momentum.

There is nothing to bleed off, because it won't keep building momentum.

Guys relax I am not here trying to defend some pseudoscience or push some agenda, I just saw the video and it raised some questions in my mind and I don't think youtube is the right place to ask them. I am a layman and don't have a perfect understanding of physics or science so bear with me :)

I realize the answers you guys are giving me is from a big picture point of view, I trying to understand why this would not work for the purpose intended. I mean, if you hold the magnet next to the assembly, with enough strength would the wheel not continue to build momentum if it had nothing to stop it from doing so (I am assuming gravity plays a role in here somewhere)? If not what exactly is stopping the wheel from building that increased momentum?

Guys relax I am not here trying to defend some pseudoscience or push some agenda, I just saw the video and it raised some questions in my mind and I don't think youtube is the right place to ask them. I am a layman and don't have a perfect understanding of physics or science so bear with me :)

Not a problem

I realize the answers you guys are giving me is from a big picture point of view, I trying to understand why this would not work for the purpose intended. I mean, if you hold the magnet next to the assembly, with enough strength would the wheel not continue to build momentum if it had nothing to stop it from doing so (I am assuming gravity plays a role in here somewhere)? If not what exactly is stopping the wheel from building that increased momentum?

There is no energy input to speed it up. (Actually there is, for the device in the video, but it's been hidden from us.)

It's true that there will some gravitational potential energy in the magnet and bar holding it, and when it drops it will transfer energy to the wheel. But when the bar is later raised, the energy must flow out of the wheel's rotation and slow it down. If not for friction, this might chug along, cyclically speeding and slowing, but friction ensures that it will slow down over time. The device being demonstrated has a motor somewhere, possibly in the wooden support arms.

Basically we know that energy is coming out - it's making a noise, that's energy in the form of movement/waves in the air; the bearings will be heating up ever so slightly due to friction, the construction material will be flexing and bending and also warming up , and the air around it will be disturbed. you don't get this energy that we can see coming out for nothing - it is gradually robbing the machine of its kinetic energy / rotation. SwansonT's post above explains how the magnet will not drive the machine AND we know that the machine must be losing energy THUS the energy it started with (by being pushed) must get used up and if it keeps going then there is an external power source.

Perpetual motion is still an interesting concept though and it depends on how you define perpetual motion, One could argue the earth is in perpetual motion It is believed the earth day will be twice as long in about 5 billion years but the sun will destroy earth in like 3 billion.................like i said it depends on how you define perpetual if it's til the end of time well our time will be up long before the earth stops spinning.

Regardless the quest for a perpetual motion machine has lead to some very efficient machines being created.