WW2 death toll?

JoeSF35

I don't know where else to post this but here so,

I am taking a history class because I need more social science credits to graduate. My professor was talking about the death toll and said that most of the internet data you find puts it at 55 million for WW2 and 10 million for China. He then went on to say that the actual death toll was more like 75 million with 20 million for China, and asked if we could find this data and if not why?

I have been searching all day and have found a few sites that say this but no numbers other than "75 million".

Does anybody know where I can look, or do you have any info on the results he claims?

I don't know where else to post this but here so' date='

I am taking a history class because I need more social science credits to graduate. My professor was talking about the death toll and said that most of the internet data you find puts it at 55 million for WW2 and 10 million for China. He then went on to say that the actual death toll was more like 75 million with 20 million for China, and asked if we could find this data and if not why?

I have been searching all day and have found a few sites that say this but no numbers other than "75 million".

Does anybody know where I can look, or do you have any info on the results he claims?[/quote']

I used the adverb "alternatively" under the clearly obvious assumption that World War II would never have occurred if Germany had won World War I. This is an assumption now shared by perhaps the majority of mainstream historians, who usually phrase it in terms like "we wouldn't have had the horrible conditions in Germany that allowed Adolf Hitler to come to power." Shorn of such prejudicial language, however, their ideas are essentially correct. A Europe under a victorious Kaiser would have been far more stable politically and WWII would most likely not have occurred, at least not on the scale of more than 75,000,000 total deaths (which makes the jewish claim of six million look like a drop in the bucket by comparison).

copied from

http://vanguardnewsnetwork.com/2004b/61604brookstruths2.htm

I used the adverb "alternatively" under the clearly obvious assumption that World War II would never have occurred if Germany had won World War I. This is an assumption now shared by perhaps the majority of mainstream historians' date=' who usually phrase it in terms like "we wouldn't have had the horrible conditions in Germany that allowed Adolf Hitler to come to power."

[/quote']

I'm afraid i have to disagree.

From such sources as A J P Taylors ' the struggle for mastery of Europe' it seems fairly clear that Germany saw itself as first struggling to dominate Europe, and then use that position to make abid for world power. WW1 was not a war of limited objectives, German militarism was highly aggressive and a victory for Germany in WW1 would not have meant a peace but more and greater aggression.

Obviously this is impossible to test or be certain on, but the idea that a German victory in WW1 would have avoided all the horrors that were to come strikes me as incorrect.

I'm afraid i have to disagree.

From such sources as A J P Taylors ' the struggle for mastery of Europe' it seems fairly clear that Germany saw itself as first struggling to dominate Europe' date=' and then use that position to make abid for world power. WW1 was not a war of limited objectives, German militarism was highly aggressive and a victory for Germany in WW1 would not have meant a peace but more and greater aggression.

Obviously this is impossible to test or be certain on, but the idea that a German victory in WW1 would have avoided all the horrors that were to come strikes me as incorrect.[/quote']

Aardvark, I have to agree, the site looked suspicious. But JoeSF35 seemed to be looking for a site that mentioned 75,000,000 dead. This site referred to the 75 mil, but I certainly wouldn't vouch for the authenticity of the info.

This site referred to the 75 mil, but I certainly wouldn't vouch for the authenticity of the info.

I just followed the sites link, a white power, racial supremacy group. :mad:

It just shows how careful you have to be with internet info, there are a lot of wierdos out there.

I just followed the sites link' date=' a white power, racial supremacy group. :mad:

It just shows how careful you have to be with internet info, there are a lot of wierdos out there.[/quote']

yeah, yer right. But perhaps it satifies JoeSF35's professor's requirements. Maybe he's a white supremist.

Douglas,

Thanks for the link but I have found several sites like that which show the "75 million" number, but not one gives any data. I guess I have to proceed to write a short paper on why not.

I have found a few which show the data for the 20 million Chinese deaths.

Class is in 2 hours so I guess I'll find out what he says then.

I am taking a history class because I need more social science credits to graduate. My professor was talking about the death toll and said that most of the internet data you find puts it at 55 million for WW2 and 10 million for China. He then went on to say that the actual death toll was more like 75 million with 20 million for China' date=' and asked if we could find this data and if not why?

[/quote']

I suspect this is one of those questions where the professor expects you to find your own figure. You cannot find evidence of his claim if there is none. He could simply be testing your willingness to accept figures without questioning them. Question his sources, then you may get a clearer answer.

Casualties in WW2

Soviet Union 25,568,000

China 11,324,000

Germany 7,060,000

Poland 6,850,000

Japan 1,806,000

Yugoslavia 1,700,000

Rumania 985,000

France 810,000

USA 495,000

Austria 480,000

Italy 410,000

Great Britain 388,000

Holland 250,000

Belgium 85,000

Finland 79,000

Canada 42,000

India 36,000

Australia 29,000

Albania 28,000

Spain 22,000

Bulgaria 21,000

New Zealand 12,000

Norway 10,000

South Africa 9,000

Luxembourg 5,000

Denmark 4,000

TOTAL 58,508,000

• 4 weeks later...

A true figure is very difficult to come by; especially from china and USSR. The death toll counts primarily only men in the armies and not the civilians that perished in the defense of eg stalingrad. I'd put 25 to 40 percent ontop of any of their figures.