I'm looking to develope my grasp and understanding of the Earth around me.

Hello Science Forums, I'm a Freshmen in high school. I've always been interested in Science, but I always found it difficult to grasp. So I was just wondering; where do you BEGIN to grow a large understanding of the Earth around me? I've always been inspired by EVERYTHING you all do, and I'd like to help grow an ever expanding knowledge of the Earth just like most of you.

So, I'll just ask in the form of my most common questions for people like you:

> What books should I read to grasp a better understanding?

> What should I focus more on and less on for these subjects?

> What would be the best, more effective ways to stay informed of today's scientific discovers?

Thank-You,

-I2012.

Edited by 12012

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Science Forums, I'm a Freshmen in high school. I've always been interested in Science, but I always found it difficult to grasp. So I was just wondering; where do you BEGIN to grow a large understanding of the Earth around me? I've always been inspired by EVERYTHING you all do, and I'd like to help grow an ever expanding knowledge of the Earth just like most of you.

So, I'll just ask in the form of my most common questions for people like you:

> What books should I read to grasp a better understanding?

> What should I focus more on and less on for these subjects?

> What would be the best, more effective ways to stay informed of today's scientific discovers?

Thank-You,

-I2012.

I recommend megazines to stir interests and motivation, and hit the bookstore to get some basic books there.

Three books related to geology and biology that I can thoroughly recommend are these:

The Dinosaur Hunters: A True Story of Scientific Rivalry and the Discovery of the Prehistoric World by Deborah Cadbury Harper Collins 2000 ISBN:1-85702-959-3

The Map That Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology by Simon Winchester Harper Collins 2001

Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution Charles Fortey Harper Collins 2000

All three are readable, informative and accurate - a rare combination.