Time?

Tommahawk

Hi, I am writing a little software program that displays time on the basis that a earth year is a measure of the earth making 1 revolution around the sun.

In contrast to "In the year of our Lord 2004"

or in contrast to another culture ideal of time.

The question is what year is it?

or how manyrevolutions has the earth made around the sun?

Uranium Dating in the rocks estimate that the earth is around 4.5 billion years old. However, because how the earth formed is mostly speculative, we can't know for sure how long the body we know as earth as been revolving around the sun. There could have been matter circiling the sun, that would become our earth long before it actually formed.

Can you really put a date on when we actually became Homo sapiens, Isnt it less of a linear thing, we didnt just sublimate from what ever came before. Plus there is interbreading to take into account.

I like this non-creationalist calendar idea seeing as I am an athiest but I would put the start date at the point life in general started myself, but then you still have pin-pointing problems there. :grin:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Caesar Rahil

The Earth may be, at an estimate, 4.5 to 5 billion years old. But at first it was in the Hot, Gaseous state and has been cooled down.

• 3 months later...

So in this case what I am going to do is take 5,000,000,000 years and add the current date which is another 2005 years to it and call it a new name and say that is the date/time.

Any objections or ideas on making this more precise or acceptable.

Don't forget that the Earth has been slowing down. It loses energy due to friction and widens its orbit, conserving angular momentum so a year took less than a year back then.

• 2 weeks later...