Straw poll

Moontanman

Vote for POTUS  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you vote for POTUS this time?

I am voting for Obama. I like him well enough although I don't give him very high marks. Primarily I am voting for the Democrat because the Republicans have aligned themselves with the far right. Because of this alignment I now consider the Republicans damaged goods. A sad day for me as I used to vote roughly 70/30, Republican to Democrat.

Vote to see who is the favorite of the people on SFN, I know it will have little meaning statistically but it would be interesting.

If you want you can add why you are going to vote the way you are but if you do keep it short and factual.

Do you mean

Vote to see who is the favourite of some of the people on SFN

It might be interesting to see how the rest of the world would vote if they could.

Do you mean

Vote to see who is the favourite of some of the people on SFN

It might be interesting to see how the rest of the world would vote if they could.

Aside from Pakistan, the rest of the world is overwhelmingly supporting Obama.

_63592043_worldservicepoll_464_romney_embargoed_23102012.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20008687

Also, I actually voted for Obama like a week ago. Yay for early voting!

Edited by ydoaPs

I am voting for Obama. I like him well enough although I don't give him very high marks. Primarily I am voting for the Democrat because the Republicans have aligned themselves with the far right. Because of this alignment I now consider the Republicans damaged goods. A sad day for me as I used to vote roughly 70/30, Republican to Democrat.

Same sentiment here. Obama is not so great, but he represents my values WAY more than the current state of the GOP. I think someone here called themselves an "Eisenhower Republican" once, and I think I'm about right there (which makes me a 2012 democrat).

Obama. I consider myself conservative, but Romney lies too much, is too rich, and can't imagine what life is like for lower-income people. I don't think his foreign policies are good at all. He wouldn't make a good president, in my opinion.

I don't think he's a bad guy or anything like that. I just think he's too...not...presidential? If that makes sense.

Aside from Pakistan, the rest of the world is overwhelmingly supporting Obama.

The Pakistan result certainly sticks out, especially for the sum. My guess is that everyone hates Obama for the drone attacks, no one expects Romney to stop killing Pakistani that look suspicious on a satellite image, and 20% of the people just made a cross somewhere because they thought they are expected to.

For the record: Personally, I am much less interested in the vote than previous times, and I don't have any real preference.

Edited by timo

I think someone here called themselves an "Eisenhower Republican" once, and I think I'm about right there (which makes me a 2012 democrat).

That was me. I think Ike was conservative where it was smart to be, liberal where it counted and progressive always. Obama is actually closer to Eisenhower (and even Bush I) than many Republicans want to admit. He's certainly not the liberal demon the GOP wants their base to think he is. I almost wish he was more liberal on certain topics, but he's smart enough to play things close to the vest and not waste any more political capital after getting us a toehold on universal healthcare. Obama has my vote.

Obama made some errors during his first term, no doubt. But he also made some great moves, like establishing a good relations base with China, which will hopefully allow him to get firmer with regards to currency and trade. Romney talks tough but I see him caving in to China as soon as business is threatened, which would really put us at a disadvantage in the long run, and in the long run we need to work well with China instead of for China.

Obama has done a good job with Iran, another potential war he wants us out of. He's isolated them nicely with the cooperation of most of the global community. His stance with Russia has been good enough to get some help from them with Afghanistan, so perhaps he can work further to get their help with Iran and perhaps Syria. I think Romney would get talked into invading with a Geiger counter in one hand and a blank check in the other.

Notice how fervently the Republicans jumped on the Benghazi embassy incident? That's because Obama has been superlative at handling terrorism to date. It's really the only thing they think they can pin on him, and that's been pretty sketchy and full of hand-waiving with little substance. I think Romney would end up lying or breaking a promise to the wrong Middle Easterner and make things worse than Bush II did. I heartily dislike the current Republican platform on terror; Obama has gotten that fire down to coals and Romney would most likely break out the gas can (again).

I'm beginning to think the main reason the Republicans have been acting so loony lately is because Obama IS an Eisenhower Republican, and that's where the true Republicans OUGHT to be. Obama could have been the greatest Republican in history and it's driving them crazy. That's why they're rejecting sound, meaningful, realistic legislation that comes from Obama even though most of their base would probably consider it worthwhile, if only FOX would tell them about it, and if only it didn't come from a Democrat.

That was me. I think Ike was conservative where it was smart to be, liberal where it counted and progressive always.

Indeed on the bolded part.

When I think Ike, I think about all the infrastructure he put in place that still lasts till today like the interstate system. Given, he had a nice post WWII economic boom to help him out but I really feel as though he made the most out of it and did not squander it like I think the Republicans of today would.

Plus his demeanor and public appearance were just classic; very leader-like and presidential. Just the right mix of war hero and man of the people if you ask me. He made his business about long lasting progress.

Edited by mississippichem

I started to specify US voters only but not only does who is the POTUS affect the rest of the world but this forum is international and I see no reason to short sheet anyone who is a member because they aren't US citizens. Certainly a lot of the people who have debated the pros and cons of Romney and Obama are not US citizens...

wow phi, what a witty, subtle sense of humor you have.

Actually, I hope Mr. Johnson gets better than 5%. It would simultaneously send a message that we need more viable 3rd party candidates to challenge the system, and the votes would probably come from Tea Party holdouts who think Romney would pull a Bush and grow the federal government.

The Nazi comment was because I saw a picture of you with your new mustache. Bold choice. :P

Actually, I hope Mr. Johnson gets better than 5%. It would simultaneously send a message that we need more viable 3rd party candidates to challenge the system, and the votes would probably come from Tea Party holdouts who think Romney would pull a Bush and grow the federal government.

conveniently giving Obama an edge in swing states ;)

Obama is actually closer to Eisenhower (and even Bush I) than many Republicans want to admit.
Obama's somewhat to the right of Eisenhower, overall (corporate based health insurance and health care, other large public works, Veteran's benefits, warnings about the "military/industrial complex", etc.).

That's the part that's hard to "admit", I think.

If things are close in my State, I'll vote for Obama - Romney, like W and Reagan, is one of those obvious disasters that middle aged white guys somehow never see coming. Otherwise, some likely looking 3rd party.

Vote to see who is the favorite of the people on SFN, I know it will have little meaning statistically but it would be interesting.

If you want you can add why you are going to vote the way you are but if you do keep it short and factual.

I'm voting for Obama. He's done a reasonable job in his first four years (imo, obviously), given what he had to work with, and I am willing to give him four more to see if he can leverage some of that momentum in making more improvements. Not that he's been perfect - his cash for clunkers program was a fiasco that failed to obtain its stated goal in a huge way, for example.

However, Mitt Romney's alliance with the radical far right Republicans gives me grave concerns about the future of this country, especially the middle and lower classes, and scientific research under his watch. Coupled with the dangerous precedent of the L'Aquila trial, I think handing the power of the POTUS to the extremist Republican groups at this time would be a serious problem for the scientific community in this country.

conveniently giving Obama an edge in swing states ;)

Exactly. If some of the Tea Party and Ron Paulians vote Johnson, it will surely come from the Republican numbers the same way most Nader votes come from those who would otherwise vote Democrat.

And I apologize for the Nazi comment. It was meant to be a little funny but not that little.

However, Mitt Romney's alliance with the radical far right Republicans gives me grave concerns about the future of this country, especially the middle and lower classes, and scientific research under his watch. Coupled with the dangerous precedent of the L'Aquila trial, I think handing the power of the POTUS to the extremist Republican groups at this time would be a serious problem for the scientific community in this country.

QFT. +1

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know, because Romney flip-flops far too much, and he's got that say or do anything attitude. Not only did I vote for Obama in 2008, but I campaigned and raised money for him very early in the race. Obama also has four years of experience under his belt, whereas in Massachusetts, we were done with Romney after one term as governor.

Paul Ryan seems to have the same say or do anything attitude with him popping into a soup kitchen and pretending to wash pots and pans. I very much appreciated that the kitchen's director said that Ryan and his entourage were not invited and that they did nothing. I've volunteered in plenty of soup kitchens; Ryan and his Pretenders can all go home — we don't need or want you.

Romney and Ryan — two losers — it reminds me of 2008.