String theory, and 10 demensional hyper-space

Does anyone here have any thoughts on string theory?

The way I have understood it, Mitchiel Kacoo(sp?) says that the particles that make up atomic particles, quarks and such, vibrate (using whatever energy) at a certain frequency? What more, is that it states that these "particles" are not actualy praticles, but are actualy

wiggling strings", and that the number/type/frequency of vibration determine the Sub-atomic particle created (Neutron, Proton, Electron, ect.) so in a manner of speaking, if one could control the vibrations of these sub-sub-atomic particles, you could in theory change ANY form of mater into anything else with the same mass; Sort of the "Molecular re-arrangement" principal of science fiction.

The theory also goes into resonations through 10 dimensional hyper-space, which I am slightly confused about, as I do not fully understand what hyper-space is supposed to be, except that which is outside of the physical universe?

If anyone has some observations, or could at least shed some light on this theory for me i would be most appreciative.(1 hour long program on tech T.V. is not nearly enough for a fool like me to comprehend such an abstract proposition :D )

Erm. my question is not about string theory but somewhat related though.

What exactly is the fourth dimension that is mention? i don't really understand what it means by curved space and time.

Time is the fourth dimension. According to relativity' date=' time and space are related. The quantity that is conserved in a transformation between reference frames is a four dimentional vector construct of the three spatial dimentions and c*t.

"I suggest you read "The Elegant Universe" and "The Fabric of the Cosmos." Both are written by Briam Greene."

The Elegant Universe seems like an interesting book (and is also advertised by SFN members on a regular basis :) ). Does it mainly deal with superstrings or... what?

Erm. Actually i'm currently reading a book about hyperspace by Michio Kaku.

I'm not really a physics person. And i intended to read it for leisure. But apparently there are some terms which i could not really understand despite how mr kaku explained.