calculating greenhouse effect

Moontanman

Is it possible to calculate the greenhouse effect of an atmosphere? Consider the Earth except with 10 times the air pressure, would the greenhouse effect be 10 times as much? Is there a way to figure out a good approximation of the greenhouse effect?

The greenhouse effect of the Earths atmosphere raises the temp 36C

I am trying to use this site Planet Designer to calculate a planet 3 AU from the Earths sun that would be inhabitable. I am looking at an atmosphere of about 150 psi at the surface. I need close to 300C in greenhouse effect to do this.

So far I have found out that adding helium to the planets atmosphere lowers it's specific heat capacity, i would assume that this would lower the greenhouse effect?

I have figured out how to change the value of specific heat capacity and assuming a greenhouse effect of 150C I get a typical surface temp of 22.9C but the 150C number is just an assumption. I can't figure out how to predict the greenhouse effect of the planets atmosphere.

I suggest you read the OP one more time and then you can be embarrased...

moon:

I don't mind being embarrassed as long as I learn something or helping a friend get out of a bind.

That is how I maintain a negative track record.

zorro

BTW: According to my spwell checker, you misspelled embarrassed. .....laugh.gif

I did accommodate the OP. The greenhouse effect major factor is the magnetosphere and cycles 10 to 11 years dependent on Jupiter's Magnetosphere's cycles and strengts. Planet Designer is silent on these effects and thus worthless.

OP theme:

" Is it possible to calculate the greenhouse effect of an atmosphere? Consider the Earth except with 10 times the air pressure, would the greenhouse effect be 10 times as much? Is there a way to figure out a good approximation of the greenhouse effect? <br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(248, 250, 252); "><br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(248, 250, 252); ">The greenhouse effect of the Earths atmosphere raises the temp 36C<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(248, 250, 252); "><br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(248, 250, 252); ">I am trying to use this site Planet Designer to calculate a planet 3 AU from the Earths sun that would be inhabitable. I am looking at an atmosphere of about 150 psi at the surface. I need close to 300C in greenhouse effect to do this.<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(248, 250, 252); "><br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(248, 250, 252); ">So far I have found out that adding helium to the planets atmosphere lowers it's specific heat capacity, i would assume that this would lower the greenhouse effect?<br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(248, 250, 252); "><br style="font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px; background-color: rgb(248, 250, 252); ">I have figured out how to change the value of specific heat capacity and assuming a greenhouse effect of 150C I get a typical surface temp of 22.9C but the 150C number is just an assumption. I can't figure out how to predict the greenhouse effect of the planets atmosphere. "

back to you .....tongue.gif

Edited by zorro

Maybe you answer your own question that "greenhouse effect" and "global warming" are bogus speculations at best. It is more likely Atmospheric Cycles.

!

Moderator Note

The validity of the science is not the topic of the OP, so drop it.

!

Moderator Note

tangential discussion has been moved http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/69872-greenhouse-effect/