• None
    • Minimun required
    • Extreme
    • Lethal

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first of all, you'd be arrested, unless he assaulted you. you'd go to jail for probably 10 years, depending on the jury. this poll is circumstantial. if someone broke into my house with a mossberg shotgun, then it would be a lot different if someone broke into my house with nothing but a pair of gloves. if someone pulls out a mossberg, im first going to grab MY mossberg, then im going to gather my family together in one room close to the stairway. if he attempts to come upstairs, i'll pump the action just to let him know there are 12 gauges up there and they're all waiting for him. if he proceeds with more caution, then i will wait until he either opens the door to the room, in which case i would blow him away. or until he goes wround the corner, in which case i would sneak up behind him and either whack him off the head with something solid, or put the muzzle to his head and tell him to drop it. if he breaks in with gloves, just scare him. point the gun at him, thats enough. dont forget to call 911 immediately. especially if you do shoot him.

first of all, you'd be arrested, unless he assaulted you. you'd go to jail for probably 10 years, depending on the jury. this poll is circumstantial.

:rolleyes:

there`s a new idea out in the UK about relaxing the rules[/u'] with regards to deffending your home/property

i'm partial to stealth tactics.

grab a dagger or small sword on display.

sneak up behind the intruder.

grab him and threaten to cut his throat if he moves.

if he doesn't move, tell him to drop his weapon(s), and ask why he is here, then tell him to leave.

if he moves, and is holding a weapon, cut his throat.

if no weapon, let him move. then tell him to leave.

if he catches me sneaking up on him and points a gun at me... figure it out from there. depending on distance: run, or attack with full force disabling the arm holding the gun first.

if he catches me sneaking up on him and has a knife in his hand, stay back and tell him to leave. if he attacks, retaliate with full force.

if he catches me sneaking up on him and doesn't pull out a weapon, tell him to leave.

so... sort of a combination of "extreme" and "minimum necessary".

first of all, you'd be arrested, unless he assaulted you. you'd go to jail for probably 10 years, depending on the jury. this poll is circumstantial. if someone broke into my house with a mossberg shotgun, then it would be a lot different if someone broke into my house with nothing but a pair of gloves. if someone pulls out a mossberg, im first going to grab MY mossberg, then im going to gather my family together in one room close to the stairway. if he attempts to come upstairs, i'll pump the action just to let him know there are 12 gauges up there and they're all waiting for him. if he proceeds with more caution, then i will wait until he either opens the door to the room, in which case i would blow him away. or until he goes wround the corner, in which case i would sneak up behind him and either whack him off the head with something solid, or put the muzzle to his head and tell him to drop it. if he breaks in with gloves, just scare him. point the gun at him, thats enough. dont forget to call 911 immediately. especially if you do shoot him.

Why does this read more like a advert for a certain type of shotgun and the Idiot circumstances it can be abused in, rather than a Thread contribution?

You guys have been playing too many video games and watching too many rambo movies. Keep out of their way and call the police.

My TV's insured but my life isn't...

fine, but yer line`s cut! and there`s a guy in yer kids bedroom! (God forbid) :((

although I agree that SOME of the posts here a triffle silly and unrealistic, and most folks (IF HONEST!) when faced with it wouldn`t deliberately kill someone (I`m fairly sure I couldn`t). you have to admit that there ARE Circs where "just calling the police" isn`t a Viable option, unless you`re entirely heartless/uncaring?

YT, ok, fine, i work for mossberg....no, if someone broke into my house with a "gun" or a knife, then i would most definately grab my gun and try to avoid confrentation. if he comes upstairs with his weapon, then i would not hesitate to shoot him in the event of a confrentation. this is what they teach you when you go to get your carry permit. you must take a self defense class. however, if i was to shoot him simply because he was coming up the stairs, then i would probably go to jail.

I doubt that. I doubt many people are able to kill another human being.

i have no doubt that i could kill an intruder.

also, you wouldn't get sentenced for killing a burgler. at least in america, you have the right to protect yourself and your home. killing in self defence is not murder, at least according to law.

yes, in self defense...with the exception of a few states, every state in this fine union is a flea state, meaning, you have to make every attempt possible to escape your house without confrentation. also, you can bet your life that if the burgler is unarmed and you shoot him, then you will go to jail. now, i KNOW that you're not a gun owner are you? or perhaps you live in a state that doesnt require permits for firearms, meaning that you dont need any knowledge of the laws to purchase one. perhaps you should go look up your states firearms mandates. have fun with that. let me know if your state is a flea state.

I'm with blike, there are too many answers since "Your Home is Being Robbed" doesn't tell us enough. I would have to vote minimum required since I would not vote extreme on the burglar who is trying to leave because I came home early and surprised him.

But if my family is at home and someone is forcing their way in, the minimum required would be whatever it took to dissuade them... IMMEDIATELY. I don't know if I could kill intentionally but I tend to think my reaction coupled with the pointy slashy things I have handy for defense could get lethal. If the intruder is also giving me verbal clues (I'M GONNA KILL YOU!) as well as the time to run downstairs, I would go for the 30-30 in the basement.

It's a tough call. I couldn't live with myself for killing someone who only wanted my laptop, but I couldn't live with myself if I did nothing to protect someone who wanted to harm my family.

You guys have been playing too many video games and watching too many rambo movies. Keep out of their way and call the police.

yeah, probably ^_^;;

i mean, if i couldn't sneak up behind the person, i would ditch the house and call the police from my neighbor.

and if i came in when it was being robbed, and the guy charged for the door, i might either react by moving out of the way or by tripping him.

but if i had time to think, and the guy was intruding when i was home, i would definitely try to do as i said.

without knowing intentions, running might attract attention, especially opening and closing a door. and he might come looking for me if i just hide.

Maybe in England you get locked up for shooting an intruder, in the US, you'd get your name in the NRA's magazine, one more reason I love this nation :)

although I agree that SOME of the posts here a triffle silly and unrealistic, and most folks (IF HONEST!) when faced with it wouldn`t deliberately kill someone (I`m fairly sure I couldn`t). you have to admit that there ARE Circs where "just calling the police" isn`t a Viable option, unless you`re entirely heartless/uncaring?

Im from the country, nearest law enforcement is 15 miles away, thats why we hicks tend to shoot first, you have no one else , but yourself to rely on.

i'm partial to stealth tactics.

grab a dagger or small sword on display.

sneak up behind the intruder.

grab him and threaten to cut his throat if he moves.

if he doesn't move, tell him to drop his weapon(s), and ask why he is here, then tell him to leave.

if he moves, and is holding a weapon, cut his throat.

if no weapon, let him move. then tell him to leave.

if he catches me sneaking up on him and points a gun at me... figure it out from there. depending on distance: run, or attack with full force disabling the arm holding the gun first.

if he catches me sneaking up on him and has a knife in his hand, stay back and tell him to leave. if he attacks, retaliate with full force.

if he catches me sneaking up on him and doesn't pull out a weapon, tell him to leave.

so... sort of a combination of "extreme" and "minimum necessary".

This is the type of crap tht gets you killed. There are only two "real" options, either escape/hide/avoid or kill. Anything else is far to risky and you stand as much chance of being killed as the other. Sure it may work on video games, but the vast majority of people are not even close to be stealthy enough to pull this type of shit off.

chadn, contrary to hollywood, you can't shoot anyone who walks into your house...but go ahead, try it some time...see you in jail...

Such things happen regulary and there is almost always an investigation, but even in the most liberal and anti-gun states the charges are almost always dropped. If your in your own home, almost every states recognize your right to defend yourself.

Try finding how many people who shoot home invaders actually go to jail, do it, good luck.

chadn is right. I live in California, a very liberal state especially with regard to gun laws, and yet you ARE allowed to shoot people on your property if you believe they may pose a threat. Just a few months ago a man in my area shot and killed a burglar who had nothing but a crowbar on him. The police and public attorneys said he was justified and filed no charges. The shooter was very remorseful on TV, and I felt sorry for him. I can't say I'd be entirely happy killing a man with a crowbar either, but it's certainly not unjustified.

Of course, this is within reason. As Chief Wiggum said to Homer Simpson when he thought he could get away with shooting Ned Flanders on his property: "It doesn't work if you invite them over."

if he moves' date=' and is holding a weapon, cut his throat.

so... sort of a combination of "extreme" and "minimum necessary".[/quote']

I'm not sure a jury is going to look on a slit throat as being caused by someone defending themselves, so you can hardly see it as "minimum necessary force".

There are only two "real" options, either escape/hide/avoid or kill.

Or disable.

Trickier maybe, but better for everyone if you pull it off.

Of course, this is within reason. As Chief Wiggum said to Homer Simpson when he thought he could get away with shooting Ned Flanders on his property: "It doesn't work if you invite them over."

Punching, not shooting.

Punching.

i have no doubt that i could kill an intruder.

also' date=' you wouldn't get sentenced for killing a burgler. at least in america, you have the right to protect yourself and your home. killing in self defence is not murder, at least according to law.[/quote']nor have I, I know I could Kill an Intruder, but it would certainly be unintentional!

as for the rest, well you`ve really shot yourself in the foot there! (excuse the pun).

you WOULD NOT get away with it in ANY state. you`ve already twice stated your intentions to kill an intruder, it would be classed as Pre-Meditated now, and Not self defence :)

does this ring any bells? :

if someone breaks into my house while i am there, then they will leave dead.

Oooops ! :)))

But YT and I are now free to maim and slaughter at will...

who`s this "Will" guy? poor sod gets all the bad breaks!

"Fire at Will" for instance, what`s he ever done to anyone!?

joking aside, I`m with ATM on this, probably not so much disturbed by it, as fascinated at the level of Fantasy as opposed to Reality that some come out with.

I would hazzard to say all those with the "Macho Bravado" would probably crap themselves when actualy faced with such a scenario, and I couldn`t even begin to imagine how they`de feel if they DID actualy kill someone :(

I`m pretty darn sure I couldn`t unless it was by accident and that`s all it would be.