Why do so many atheists/non-believers wear cross neclaces?

Mr Rayon

What does everyone make of this?

It is a little misleading to the public.

Why do you think the cross neclace is such a popular accessory today amongst our non-religious youth?

Would you ever wear one if you were not Christian/Catholic?

I think your premise is (as per usual) bullshit and completely made up. What evidence do you have that nonbelievers frequently wear crosses?

Sorry, I didn't mean most non-believers but definitely a small handful of them.

A minority but noticeable minority. Most non-believers do not wear cross necklaces but nowadays it's become more fashionable to do so but I'm not sure what's the root cause.

And it's not bullshit, it's the truth.

2012-golden-globes-awards-madonna-reem-acra-glamazons-blog.jpg

Sorry, I didn't mean most non-believers but definitely a small handful of them.

A minority but noticeable minority. Most non-believers do not wear cross necklaces but nowadays it's become more fashionable to do so but I'm not sure what's the root cause.

And it's not bullshit, it's the truth.

2012-golden-globes-awards-madonna-reem-acra-glamazons-blog.jpg

Care to explain why a picture of Madonna wearing a cross is relevant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuEqEqbGHk

Also, above you can clearly see the singer show off a cross necklace in her hands at 2.52.
I don't think she's Christian so what's the deal with that?

Also, I know I've seen many people through facebook who I know personally are not Christians but I've seen them wear cross necklaces. Well, I only know three people but that's enough to raise eyebrows and there are other people that I see sometimes just randomly in the public who wear cross necklaces who do not act like Christians so I can safely assume they're not Christians.

Further research indicates that it is a fad:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080805162743AACjYKS
http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110702041042AAq6qa4

But why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuEqEqbGHk

Also, above you can clearly see the singer show off a cross necklace in her hands at 2.52.

Also, I know I've seen many people through facebook who I know personally are not Christians but I've seen them wear cross necklaces. Well, I only know three people but that's enough to raise eyebrows and there are other people that I see sometimes just randomly in the public who wear cross necklaces who do not act like Christians so I can safely assume they're not Christians.

Possibly because they think it's pretty? Trendy? Someone they love gave it to them and they feel obligated to wear it? I wear gay pride T-shirts but I'm not gay, I have a denim jacket with the Harley Davidson emblem on it even though I ride Yamahas because someone gave it to me as a present but they didn't understand brand loyalty... :unsure:

BTW who are you to say who is or is not religious?

Edited by Moontanman

Why do you think the cross neclace is such a popular accessory today amongst our non-religious youth?

Are you suggesting one must be religious in order to celebrate the torture of a human being?

Why do you think science-hating morons use technology?

Also, notice at 0.05 the singer is wearing another cross!

So subtle I almost didn't notice.

Christian beliefs are so ingrained within our society that we sometimes can't separate it from everything else or fail to notice until our subconscious mind tells us to convert for some reason...

Christian beliefs are so ingrained within our society that we sometimes can't separate it from everything else or fail to notice until our subconscious mind tells us to convert for some reason...

In this case, it is more like a ritual(graven image?), not a belief.

I think it is the other way around, people's beliefs are wrapped into their religion and they are unable to separate the two. It feels much better to have your opinions bolstered by the creator of the universe than to have to justify them on your own.

What does everyone make of this?

It is a little misleading to the public.

I think a better question is to ask why Christians chose a symbol of a most horrific torture method as their religious symbol. Does Christianity advocate torture?

The lyrics of the song are pretty spiritual, though. She doesn't specifically mention Christianity, but she kisses that rosary she's holding at one point, and she's singing, "Even if the future is taken captive, even if it vanishes in the distance, this prayer will never cease. I want to send my sincere feelings to you. I whisper to you, the one who gave me my 'beginning,' keep the promise that we made just between ourselves. The magic of eternity that never changes."

That's the deal with that.