Why do some believe that secularism persecutes Christians?

jeskill

I'll go further and say it is human to have the "us vs them" mentality. We even make it up - sports teams for enjoyment. We just have to recognize that this is who we are and not let it get out of hand.

In regards to the OP, I think the issues with Christmas really struck a nerve with the main stream. I can see the point somewhat. I think you need a balance of "when in Rome do as the Romans" and not expect everyone to say happy holidays. Jews shouldn't be offended by Merry Christmas and Christians shouldn't be offended by Hannukah or the solstice or just happy holidays. But, the main culture says Merry Christmas.

I can see where taking the term God out of the pledge and the dollar would lead one to think secular = godless. God isn't specific - Jesus, Allah, etc. Of course, I think it would be best to remove them, but on the other hand, it doesn't establish a specific religion, IMO. Yeah, its BS that we trust in God, more like in synthetic derivatives we trust. I guess it just isn't a battle worth picking for me.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone here actually read anything on the now defunct forums on Richard Dawkins website then you would know why Christian fear oppression. I have no doubt that nothing good would come if any of the pop atheist where given any actual power.

Edited by afungusamongus

If anyone here actually read anything on the now defunct forums on Richard Dawkins website then you would know why Christian fear oppression. I have no doubt that nothing good would come if any of the pop atheist where given any actual power.

Yeah, such power would result in burning people at the stake, throwing people in the river to see if they floated, torture of every horrific type, shunning of anyone who disagreed..... NOT WAIT THAT IS CHRISTIANITY, Christianity did that before secularism gelded the religion and made it possible to have a first world culture...

Dear me, dear me. Gentlefolk, please: religion, or colour, or political party, or nation, or which end of your boiled egg you crack, are all just convenient rallying points for humans to engage in the "us vs them" mentality noted by John5746. To blame violent and oppressive acts on religion, as religion, makes as much sense as blaming it on Republicans or Chinese or NY Jets supporters. To borrow a phrase from, I think, the gun lobby: religion doesn't kill people, it's just one of a myriad concepts that people use as an excuse for killing people.

Dear me, dear me. Gentlefolk, please: religion, or colour, or political party, or nation, or which end of your boiled egg you crack, are all just convenient rallying points for humans to engage in the "us vs them" mentality noted by John5746. To blame violent and oppressive acts on religion, as religion, makes as much sense as blaming it on Republicans or Chinese or NY Jets supporters. To borrow a phrase from, I think, the gun lobby: religion doesn't kill people, it's just one of a myriad concepts that people use as an excuse for killing people.

But you must admit that Dallas Cowboys fans are in fact the evil spawn of Lucifer! :P

I would like some clarification on this... Can you give us a link to those defunct forums?

I'm so sorry! I meant to click "like" and accidentally clicked "unlike". Can a moderator please fix that?

Fixed

!

Moderator Note

Actually, Mods have no control over the reputation system. imatfaal gave Moontanman a +1 to negate your accidental -1, and I just gave it a +1 to reflect what you wanted to do in the first place. Justice has been done, but we can't "fix" reputation. I didn't want anyone to think Staff has the ability to cheat.

But you must admit that Dallas Cowboys fans are in fact the evil spawn of Lucifer! :P

But I am a Dallas Cowboy fan and my daughter was born in Dallas, which would make her spawn ^(-2). And I lost $666 over a number of games betting they would come back and win in the last two minutes from a seventeen point deficit. We destroyed the Oilers by thought power alone. The Texans are next. .

I would like some clarification on this... Can you give us a link to those defunct forums?

I would also like to know what a "pop atheist" is.

Moderator Note

Actually, Mods have no control over the reputation system. imatfaal gave Moontanman a +1 to negate your accidental -1, and I just gave it a +1 to reflect what you wanted to do in the first place. Justice has been done, but we can't "fix" reputation. I didn't want anyone to think Staff has the ability to cheat.

All's well that ends well.

Your insinuation that this Dawkins forum has been shut down due to lack of interest is a violation of the 9th commandment, liar liar pants on fire....

Is pop not just short for popular?

This is true (pop culture really) but you did not explain why you thought something bad would happen due to his influence.