Differentials and Integrals(uggh!)

Freeman

OK, so I have several questions...

First, a differential is a tangent to the curve and the integral is the area between the curve, X axis, and differentials...right?

Second, if I have [math]y=mX^n + b[/math] it would be: [math]y=(mn)X^{n-1}[/math] for a differential, right? And [math]y=(m/n)X^{n+1} + b[/math] for an integral...right?! :confused:

OK' date=' so I have several questions...

First, a differential is a tangent to the curve and the integral is the area between the curve, X axis, and differentials...right?

Second, if I have [math']y=mX^n + b[/math] it would be: [math]y=(mn)X^{n-1}[/math] for a differential, right? And [math]y=(m/n)X^{n+1} + b[/math] for an integral...right?! :confused:

Remember that you need to get your notation right.

[math] y = mx^n + b[/math] implies that [math]\tfrac{dy}{dx} = mnx^{n-1}[/math], but it certainly does not imply that [math]y = mnx^{n-1}[/math].

• 3 weeks later...

for y=mx +b couldn't you take a derivative of it and get y'=m+b this being a constant number it would just tell you that the rate of change is zero

right?

( also shouldn't you never see y=mx^n +b as y=mx+b is a way of writing a linear equation (slope intercept form))