Find the kernel

TrueHeart

Consciousness ,although some people refuse that and rather this to be a "gift" of God where he speaks to them rather than just a simple cognitive response & processing function.

This is why also some fundementalists believe that the 'soul' is the consciousness .

To Verusamore: I thank you heartily, but the folks in question are "conscious" of voice messages, so to state that those messages come from the "consciousness" is merely a tautology and says too little. My inquiry was, from where do the voices originate.

To Glider: Thank you, but one would think that a Ph.D, whose main interest is Psych, would be able to rightly spell "schizophrenia". What I deeply appreciate though is your labelling your answer as a "theory".

I guess what that "kernel" is that I sought was resolution of this humongous issue: If those 'voices' are theorized to originate only from the person's own brain, then what do we make of the messages received by (for example) every Pope to date, each of whom has claimed to receive messages from 'God'. Do we take those all to be "hallucinations"?? I mean, is belief in atheism a prerequisite for acceptance of Psych? So, regarding psychiatrists, who are these "men in black" (so to speak) to whom we grant every absolute aristocratic power? the power to make life&death decisions, the power to make freedom versus incarceration decisions, the power to make decisions of due process versus summary process??

Oh sure... you can glibly assert that shrinks only interfere with civil liberties "in the most extreme cases", and where "clear and present danger" is evident. But where's the jury in all of that, pray tell? How does the community know what is really going on behind those closed doors? Can we be at all certain that there isn't some chicanery at work, some corruption, maybe even pay-offs? Who is the aristocrat in a free society and why does he get to wield King George-like powers? He is an atheist, apparently. And when he condemns a soul ("psyche" is an exact synonym for "soul", according to Webster's Collegiate), it is forever.

Where's the Science?? Before 1973, homosexuality was deemed a "mental illness". Where's the Science, hmmm? Nowadays, homosexuality is no mental disease at all! Where's the Science? What science declared homosexuality a disease before 1973; and what science declared it a non-issue after that point? I see political correctness, not science. I see no science; I see an absence of science. And most importantly, if a gay individual had been diagnosed before 1973, does that mean he now goes through his whole life with the label, "history of mental illness"??

Shrinks rely on their training, not Science. So, who trained the shrink? who trained the trainer of the shrinks? Is this some "ascendency", like the order of Shao-Lin priests?? When the shrink can snatch the pebble from his master's palm -- then "he has learned"? GIMME A BREAK, SUCKAH!

Pardon my tirading, but there is a point to this all. In my community, and in many communities, a homeowner can be cited for failing to mow his lawn. [if it gets too long and dried out, it becomes a fire hazard.] So I suggest legislating it to be a misdemeanor, "failure to maintain one's 'mental hygiene'". Then, if a guy insists on contesting the psych evaluation, he can argue his innocence before a jury of his peers -- before he is CONDEMNED FOREVER AND FOR ALL ETERNITY AND FOR ALL PURPOSES AND FOR ALL TIME AS HAVING A FRIKKIN "HISTORY OF MENTAL ILLNESS".

NOW do you get it, suckers!?

Humankind might also consider this remedy. Once a person's soul (psyche) goes to eternal damnation, ie. he/she 'acquires' a "HISTORY of mental illness", whether deserved or not (whether misdiagnosed or not); THEN, that person should be entitled to collect a guaranteed disability pension for the rest of their natural life... without ever again having to fill out any forms or submit to any examination or review, or anything at all of that nature. Once the condemnation is chiseled in stone so to speak, then and forever after that person's entitlement to subsistence funding must rightly be automatic and ever unquestioned. :D