Romney mocked for comment about jet windows

CaptainPanic

After a number of unfortunate remarks from Romney (e.g. insulting 47% of the voters), this latest remark surprised me a lot.

“When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem. So it’s very dangerous....” [Romney] said. (source: LA Times)

Why would Romney risk so much by making remarks about airplane design? Does he really think he knows better than numerous safety engineers in the aircraft industry? Or is he just not particularly concerned with making any sense? I know that the Republicans take on the scientific ideas, and prefer their own, less scientific explanations. But really, take on the aviation industry?

I hope he makes it a law to have windows that open on jetliners. It would certainly make flying an "experience" again. :)

I would expect any person above 18 years old to know why airplane windows don't open. There is actually more than 1 good answer.

He's making the same mistakes that G.W. did during his term - talking about things he has no knowledge of, and making himself sound like an ignorant ass.

That seems to be the pattern with the Republican party now. What scares me is how many people vote for folks that obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

I would expect any person above 18 years old to know why airplane windows don't open. There is actually more than 1 good answer.

Airplane windows not opening is just another example of Big Government regulations stifling the US economy by not providing more opportunities for companies like Bain Capital to realize better returns on investments in medical holdings like Damon, Physio Control and Dade International.

Airplane windows not opening is just another example of Big Government regulations stifling the US economy by not providing more opportunities for companies like Bain Capital to realize better returns on investments in medical holdings like Damon, Physio Control and Dade International.

Too much regulation!

You would think he would at least have enough common sense to not specifically talk about things he has no idea about. It doesn't make sense to him? As in the same way that many things about this country and its foreign and domestic policies don't make sense to him? How taxes don't make sense to him? How regulation of the financial sector don't make sense to him? What else doesn't make sense to Mitt? The frightening extention will be his attempts at solutions.

Keep on talkin Mitt....

Well at least he admits "I don’t know why they don’t do that," rather than saying something like "WE NEED TO GET OXYGEN TO THESE FIRES!"

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps "It’s a real problem," refers to him not knowing why airplane windows "don't do that." Perhaps "So it’s very dangerous...." refers to a presidential candidate not knowing about these things.

You would think he would at least have enough common sense to not specifically talk about things he has no idea about. It doesn't make sense to him? As in the same way that many things about this country and its foreign and domestic policies don't make sense to him? How taxes don't make sense to him? How regulation of the financial sector don't make sense to him?

To many in the GOP, reality is defined by one's understanding of it. Especially(?) true of climate, economics, sex, ethics, theology.

"I'm an elected representative, and that makes me an appointed expert. If it doesn't make sense to me, it's because it doesn't make sense."

Well at least he admits "I don’t know why they don’t do that," rather than saying something like "WE NEED TO GET OXYGEN TO THESE FIRES!"

But that points to not recognizing that there isn't much oxygen outside and also that oxygen to breathe means oxygen for the fire. Stuff that any college-educated person should know.

I have to wonder, is he trying to throw the fight? Has some shady characters got to him? Or maybe his past has caught up, though I struggle to imagine anything that could be more embarrassing than these recent gaffs.

Edited by dimreepr

This is what you get when you have businessmen as politicians. CEOs often have no idea about what makes things work.

Governing and leadership in a democracy often has conflicts of interest with commerce and modern business models. Maybe we need a separation of corporation and state.

It would be interesting if an interviewer together with a video cameraman went to a major airport and asked people waiting to board aircraft that same question. What percentage do you think of those responding would give a valid answer?

Is "I don't know and I have more sense than to make a fool of myself by guessing" a valid answer?

I doubt (depending on the altitude, of course) that Romney could even open an airplane window if it did roll down.

Really? Positive pressure on the inside, near vacuum on the outside. Isn't it common sense that the window would very willingly swing into the low pressure zone?

I find myself unable to believe mitt could say something as stupid as this. Almost as bad as bitter people clinging to guns and religion. You might have guessed I'm a republican. We have to give him some credit. A good 95% of the people out there would have believed him, if relatively knowledgable people like ourselves weren't out here to criticize him. But these ARE the things you expect the president to know.

Edited by chilled_fluorine

He's making the same mistakes that G.W. did [...] making himself sound like [showing himself to be] an ignorant ass.

Romney's first modification to Air Force One

Emergency%20hammer.jpg

Break-Glass-Emergency-Sign-S-1620.gif

Just after he swung his hammer, the last thing to go through Romney's mind was ...

a. the Secret Service agent who was trying to grab the hammer from him

b. Romney's seat cushion

c. the "football"

d. (you're invited to add your own ideas)

You might have guessed I'm a republican.

Not at all. You're obviously not a religious right Republican. Are you a neo-conservative Republican? Or a Reagan Republican? An Eisenhower Republican? You meet so few Republicans these days that endorse scientific efforts, so I'm curious where you stand on the platform.

It would be interesting if an interviewer together with a video cameraman went to a major airport and asked people waiting to board aircraft that same question. What percentage do you think of those responding would give a valid answer?

Is "I don't know and I have more sense than to make a fool of myself by guessing" a valid answer?

Perhaps it is. But what if one of your young children was standing next to you in the airport when you were asked this question? Would that still be your response? If it was, one might expect the child to attract the attention of the interviewer and to supply the valid answer.:)