Is really sleep needed?

ThePolyphasicSleeper

So, I have read about something called polyphasic sleep, and I'm going to try it out, I think it's really something interesting worth charing with the rest of the world, so I will fully document my polyphasic sleep experiement and I would be really happy if you could follow my experiment and discuss some interesting facts about it. In my opinion polyphasic sleep is something that isn't given too much attention, but could easily change our world and our society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM4sEb9p9Xw&feature=plcp

So, I have read about something called polyphasic sleep, and I'm going to try it out, I think it's really something interesting worth charing with the rest of the world, so I will fully document my polyphasic sleep experiement and I would be really happy if you could follow my experiment and discuss some interesting facts about it. In my opinion polyphasic sleep is something that isn't given too much attention, but could easily change our world and our society.

https://www.youtube....Xw&feature=plcp

I suspect polyphasic sleep is effective on a short to medium term basis, however, the tendency in humans to monophasic or biphasic sleep patterns suggests, to me at least, that on a long term basis problems related to sleep deprivation would emerge making it problematic as a long term solution. Or maybe it's a question of genetics and we should follow our natural rhythms . Why do you want to practice this method of sleep, do you not have enough hours in the day?

http://epub.uni-regensburg.de/19879/

Edited by dimreepr

Wow. I hadn't known there was a term for my usual sleep pattern.....or lack thereof as the case may be. I sleep 3-5 hours most nights and the rest of my sleep time comes in short, irregular naps throughout the day. I typically find that even a 5-10 minute power nap gives a better recharge than a cup of sweet espresso. I take advantage of the irregular idle times that pop up in my day to grab short naps. I have been doing this for years and find that it gives me all of the rest my body seems to need. For me it maximizes my productive time each day as I use my otherwise idle time to get my rest.

You must have been quite tired when you wrote this. The answer is yes.

You don't know if sleeping 8-10 hours is needed...

Wow. I hadn't known there was a term for my usual sleep pattern.....or lack thereof as the case may be. I sleep 3-5 hours most nights and the rest of my sleep time comes in short, irregular naps throughout the day. I typically find that even a 5-10 minute power nap gives a better recharge than a cup of sweet espresso. I take advantage of the irregular idle times that pop up in my day to grab short naps. I have been doing this for years and find that it gives me all of the rest my body seems to need. For me it maximizes my productive time each day as I use my otherwise idle time to get my rest.

If you sleep 10-30minutes during the day it is the same as sleeping 3 hours at night, there is a polyphasic sleep called Siesta: You sleep 4 hours at night and then after lunch you sleep another hour and you will feel great too :)

I suspect polyphasic sleep is effective on a short to medium term basis, however, the tendency in humans to monophasic or biphasic sleep patterns suggests, to me at least, that on a long term basis problems related to sleep deprivation would emerge making it problematic as a long term solution. Or maybe it's a question of genetics and we should follow our natural rhythms . Why do you want to practice this method of sleep, do you not have enough hours in the day?

http://epub.uni-regensburg.de/19879/

That might be true, but I'm doing this experiment to clear everything and finally prove the consequences of polyphasic sleep to the world, and then there will be no more suspicions.

If you sleep 10-30minutes during the day it is the same as sleeping 3 hours at night

What is your evidence to support this assertion?

, there is a polyphasic sleep called Siesta: You sleep 4 hours at night and then after lunch you sleep another hour and you will feel great too :)

I'm sorry but this definition would come under the term biphasic not polyphasic and, it seems to me, a result of environmental circumstance rather than a natural pattern.

Edited by dimreepr

Can you support that assertion with evidence?

Just try it yourself, but you said that you slept during the day so you should know that better than me...

What is your evidence to support this assertion?

I'm sorry but this definition would come under the term biphasic not polyphasic and, it seems to me, a result of environmental circumstance rather than a natural pattern.

I read about that assertion long time ago but if you don't belive me why don't you try it?

And yes that's biphasic, but there is a schedule in wich you sleep 4 hours at night and you nap 2-5 times during the day.

Just try it yourself, but you said that you slept during the day so you should know that better than me...

I read about that assertion long time ago but if you don't belive me why don't you try it?

And yes that's biphasic, but there is a schedule in wich you sleep 4 hours at night and you nap 2-5 times during the day.

I live in a hot country and napping is popular not as a joice, the heat just sucks the energy. the napping is a killer, you wake up grumpy and dazed and it scews your night sleep. NOT recommended at all. This is what I hear from all my friends.

Edited by qsa

I'm well aware of my personal experience but that has nothing to do with your assertion that 10-30 minutes of daytime sleep is equal to 3 hours of nighttime sleep. If you are going to make such a statement as fact here then you need to support it.

That might be true, but I'm doing this experiment to clear everything and finally prove the consequences of polyphasic sleep to the world, and then there will be no more suspicions.

Are you the only subject of this experiment? If so I'm not sure that will be sufficient to finally prove the consequences to the world. The world is a bit more skeptical than that.

I'm well aware of my personal experience but that has nothing to do with your assertion that 10-30 minutes of daytime sleep is equal to 3 hours of nighttime sleep. If you are going to make such a statement as fact here then you need to support it.

Then let me correct myself... I read and seen in many articles online that sleeping a nap during the day for 20-40 minutes can replace 1-2 hours of sleep during the night.

Are you the only subject of this experiment? If so I'm not sure that will be sufficient to finally prove the consequences to the world. The world is a bit more skeptical than that.

There are alot of polyphasic sleepers in this world!

Let's get this thread onto a better footing.

ThePolyphasicSleeper, I think it's great that you want to document your experiment and share it with us here. One mistake you're making is assuming your results in an assertive way that makes the science-minded folks here a bit nervous. You should try to remove as much of your own bias as possible, and stop making claims that don't have any evidence (yet?) to back them up.

That said, I think you should tell us how you plan to test your hypothesis, how you're going to document the experiment. Many of the parameters you've been mentioning, like feeling great, restful sleep, these are very subjective and vary between individuals. How will you test if polyphasic patterns give you as much of what you need from sleep as normal patterns do? Do you plan on doing some crossword puzzles or something to see if mental focus is impaired? If you're comparing polyphasic sleep to normal sleep patterns, you need to document that too to use as a baseline for comparison. The experiment will be worthless if you don't use the right methodology in your study.

Are there any suggestions that ThePolyphasicSleeper could use to make his experiment more successful?

Let's get this thread onto a better footing.

ThePolyphasicSleeper, I think it's great that you want to document your experiment and share it with us here. One mistake you're making is assuming your results in an assertive way that makes the science-minded folks here a bit nervous. You should try to remove as much of your own bias as possible, and stop making claims that don't have any evidence (yet?) to back them up.

That said, I think you should tell us how you plan to test your hypothesis, how you're going to document the experiment. Many of the parameters you've been mentioning, like feeling great, restful sleep, these are very subjective and vary between individuals. How will you test if polyphasic patterns give you as much of what you need from sleep as normal patterns do? Do you plan on doing some crossword puzzles or something to see if mental focus is impaired? If you're comparing polyphasic sleep to normal sleep patterns, you need to document that too to use as a baseline for comparison. The experiment will be worthless if you don't use the right methodology in your study.

Are there any suggestions that ThePolyphasicSleeper could use to make his experiment more successful?

I'm not assuming that polyphasic sleep works for everybody, that's why I'm trying I don't know what effects it will have, I might get to one point I'm so sleepy I have to go back to my normal schedule. I'm really thankfull for your help and it would be very interesting to test my mental capabilities, my physical condition etc.

What's is for you the right methodology ?

I'm fortunate in that I'm presently in a situation were I can set my schedule

to suit my own interests and energy level. I don't have to work a set schedule set by some organization. Lately I've been working in the middle of the night on stuff that interests me, and taking naps either in the late afternoon or the early evening. It's a sleep routine much different from when I was younger and worked an office job for the Government, but it's a routine that is currently working out just fine for me.

The polyphasic sleepers I know of are those with sleep-wake syndrome. Going to rapid eye movement (REM) stage of sleep is the most beneficial since it is in this stage that our body rejuvenate and the best is that we dream, once our body gets used to the point in which we skip to REM stage our body can be refreshed in just minutes (e.g. power naps). I would also like to differentiate those who sleeps and/or naps from time to time that it is not considered polyphasic sleep but habit.