life force?

zaphod

with all the particle physicians smashing atoms into bits to try to find different particles which would perhaps explain different physical phenomena..

would it be possible that there exists a sort of "particle" which drives life? has anybody ever tried smashing a few cultures of bacteria to see if anything unexcpected comes out?

mmmm, i dont think he meant it in an offensive way!

(it was an interesting desciption to say the least!)

i dont think the idea discussed in this thread is a valid idea though.... i dont think it'd work... smaking bacteria together i dont think would get you very far!

Its not to get you far in anything, just to observe what happens when they collide. Kind of like when two planes collide what does it produce an explosion. Now what do atoms and bacteria form when we do that.... ¿anti-matter?¿ecoli?LOL

Then we can advance. :)

IMO I do think this post is quite valid.

Its not to get you far in anything' date=' just to observe what happens when they collide. Kind of like when two planes collide what does it produce an explosion. Now what do atoms and bacteria form when we do that.... ¿anti-matter?¿ecoli?LOL

Then we can advance. :)

IMO I do think this post is quite valid.[/quote']

If by valid you mean 'confusing', then yes!

Its not to get you far in anything, just to observe what happens when they collide

how pointless!

Kind of like when two planes collide what does it produce an explosion.

now that would be more interesting.

Now what do atoms and bacteria form when we do that.... ¿anti-matter¿ecoli?LOL

whats "LOL" about that?

colliding atoms in a particle acclerator has a purpose and an aim... i dont think people would just randomly shoot bacteria along particle accelerators as they are made for particles hence their name 'particle accelerators' if you wanna make a bacteria accelerator go for it... but i doubt you'll learn much from it.

would it be possible that there exists a sort of "particle" which drives life? has anybody ever tried smashing a few cultures of bacteria to see if anything unexcpected comes out?

the logic behind your idea is too simplistic in reality.

colliders are used to take things appart (I`ll not be too specific).

perhaps it would be better to define at what level "Life Force" is or is not.

for instance, the difference between a living rat and a dead rat is the "Life force" you speak of the difference between the 2?

or is it in the cells that will still be quite "Alive" for sometime after the rats dead?

is it ONE entity (the Rat) or Many smaller enitities (The individual cells within the Rat)?

• 4 weeks later...

Scientists are indeed today looking for a 'life force'. Something that exists in all living things and not in the deceased.

Where science is studying and working with the art of Qi they consider that there is a 'force' that exists and that a part of it can travel actually from one living being to another (so it has a form). what form they do not know yet. .... it may indeed be in particle form.

If so then tiny forms of life (bacteria, or even single celled) may be experimented on to see what leaves them when they become deceased (if thats the way to find it, although may be ways to find it without zapping the living critter).... I see what Zaphos was saying.

It may just exist in higher forms of life in sufficient numbers to be identified and measured, this is unknown...... but quite a find in scientific discovery if such a thing is identified and measured.

I'm not sure that you can find a physical thing that is the life force. I believe that a life force exists.

I've heard of cases where a married person will be so heart broken by the death of his or her spouse that they loose the will to live. There are also cases where a man who has no hobby doesn't really have much to live for retires and he dies a few years later. Maybe its something else that made them die, but even if it did, there might be something else that chose to accept that fate. (I don't mean to disregard the state of the body. A beheaded medivial criminal might have desparately wanted to live, but it just doesn't work that way.) Sometimes a person wants to live so much even with so many things and somehow they don't die. I think that it is the result of some kind of life force in each of us. That is something that is so closely tied to the physical realm, at the same time exists outside of it, like the mind-body connection.

In a way, all creatures probably have some kind of life force like that. If you try to smash two bacteria together, (I am assuming that they are alive) you are trying to smash to life forces then together. They cannot become on. At least one entity will die in the process. (I hope I don't sound totally wacked.)