Feasible warp drive?

Shadow

I don't know how feasable this is but I'm sure warp drive would be awesome.

Of course if you have warp speed you need shields.

"I'm fairly sure some kind of shielding would be required [when traveling at warp speed]," he said. "I'm quite interested in doing some more research into the 'cloaking device' that's been in the news recently using metamaterials that bend radiation around objects."

Then photon torpidos!

Does the new design fix the problems of extreme levels of Hawking Radiation and inherent instability?

From what I've read in another place yes it does, or is thought to do so, it wasn't very heavy with factual assertions...

edit: I'm going to have to take that back, it was at below light speed that the radiation problem was not a factor and it was from another article not that one, sorry for my confusion...

Edited by Moontanman

I'd like to add something to this warp drive thread, I think it is important to consider that even if the radiation problem is insurmountable in FTL travel with this "warp drive" the idea that it is a little less impossible to do is thrilling. If you could achieve say 90% of the speed of light it would pretty much open up the galaxy to us, a 40,000 year journey to the nearest star is more than just an obstacle but 5 years to the nearest star is pretty reasonable. Doing it with out huge fuel tanks (I'm not completely clear on how such a ship would power it's self) and not having to accelerate for years to get to 90% light speed would be an incredible improvement over current space travel methods even if we don't get FTL out of it...

Edited by Moontanman

I'd like to add something to this warp drive thread, I think it is important to consider that even if the radiation problem is insurmountable in FTL travel with this "warp drive" the idea that it is a little less impossible to do is thrilling. If you could achieve say 90% of the speed of light it would pretty much open up the galaxy to us, a 40,000 year journey to the nearest star is more than just an obstacle but 5 years to the nearest star is pretty reasonable. Doing it with out huge fuel tanks (I'm not completely clear on how such a ship would power it's self) and not having to accelerate for years to get to 90% light speed would be an incredible improvement over current space travel methods even if we don't get FTL out of it...

They talk of making the ring of exotic matter, so it wouldbe powered by magic. :)

They talk of making the ring of exotic matter, so it would be powered by magic. :)

Edited by dimreepr

This has the feeling of a legitimate field of research. That's just my feeling.

I think that future versions of today's accelerators will "build" whatever

particles or matter that the math of physics says could exist, whether they

exist in nature (as measurable) or not.

As I understand it gravity is a warping of space-time. Maybe the first

practical use of this technology would be artificial gravity, since it would

presumably take much less "exotic" matter to try and accelerate a person

through a floor with an equivalent force of 9.8 newtons per gram than

to take a multi-kiloton ship to a star.

I read often in forums how this concept or that is unrealistic in practice

because of this issue or that. I find it somewhat surprising that people

interested in such things as future space travel, and the assumed open-

mindedness of such, could lead to such nay saying of exotic ideas (and

some not so exotic ideas) as I often read.

It seems that every generation has the idea that it bascally understands

what is possible and what is not, and they all turn out to be wrong.

Edited by sugmulllun

• 2 weeks later...

Does the exotic matter exist?

or what it is?

If you could achieve say 90% of the speed of light it would pretty much open up the galaxy to us

With this concept, the spacecraft would be able to achieve an effective speed of about 10 times the speed of light, all without breaking the cosmic speed limit.

Source: http://news.yahoo.co...109.html?_esi=1

When did we find exotic matter?

That's what I keep telling you. This warp drive isn't one that implements exotic matter. It says the rings would potentially be made of them. I think that they can do modded experiments that have the same effect, since it would be on a much smaller scale, without the use of exotic matter.

That's what I keep telling you. This warp drive isn't one that implements exotic matter. It says the rings would potentially be made of them. I think that they can do modded experiments that have the same effect, since it would be on a much smaller scale, without the use of exotic matter.

In that case, let's build a couple of these and power a full scale version. I wanna see some other planetary systems up close.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.