What causes the emense good feeling when a person pops/cracks their back?

EuphoricFox

Most people would say they feel a release of pressure and pain when they crack their back, fingers, or other joints. I however, feel a more euphoric feeling that can be compared to the feeling of being on a good drug. I asked a bunch of people and tried to do more research on why this happens and I could not find anything.

I understand that bubbles of air are released from the synovial membranes and can cause a rush of good feeling due to the release of pressure and pain.

I don't see that as being the answer as to why some people, including myself feel a more intense drug-like sensation.

I have also heard that a history of drug abuse in the past can have some effect on this?

I just want to know more of the biology and anatomy that goes into explaining this.

Any feedback or anyone else who wants to share their interests are welcome. Thank you!

the release of endorphins by the spinal cord, happens whenever you pop a joint, its really addictive so don’t do it

i have a bad habit of occasionally dislocating my shoulder and wrist joints because of this

(lets just say i have bad sleeping habits, and loose joints)

• 1 month later...

the release of endorphins by the spinal cord, happens whenever you pop a joint, its really addictive so don't do it

i have a bad habit of occasionally dislocating my shoulder and wrist joints because of this

(lets just say i have bad sleeping habits, and loose joints)

Interesting, do you know of any books/papers where I can read more about this? I haven't been able to find anything on endorphin release when popping joints.

~Thanks!