True and False statements.

blike

There are no absolutes.

I disagree. While human subjectivity may skew the nature of something, that something still exists in its absolute, true form. I don't think its dependant on how we view it.

Originally posted by CHRISCUNNINGHAM

There are no absolutes.

If you mean that there can be nothing without axioms, then that's a pretty pointless post.

If you mean that nothing can be absolutely true with the presence of axioms, then you're ignoring mathematics.

Well, actually I meant, to say "there are no absolutes" is stating an absolute, meaning it is a statement that is neither true or false as the original post asked

....buuuut...

It is true that no logic can exist without axioms/Given Absolutes, and it is equally true that nothing based on an axiom is true if that axiom itself is not true. HOWEVER the only way to tell whether or not an axiom is true is if you have a logical system exclusive of that axiom.

So really I haven't ignored mathematics at ALL.

HOWEVER the only way to tell whether or not an axiom is true is if you have a logical system exclusive of that axiom.

If you can prove an axiom to be true, then it's not an axiom, is it?

Not sure how you could prove an axiom to be true as it is, by definition: "A statement or proposition which is regarded as being established, accepted or self-evidently true" (New Oxford dictionary).

EXACTLY. One can't prove an "axiom" to be true,UNLESS one has a logical system exclusive of that axiom.

Thus, what is absolute is RELATIVE to the observer.

In other words, what you're saying is that if it's axiomic relative to an observer, then it's axiomic relative to an observer?

You're still biggin it up with da truisms bro.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by blike

Thats what I always thought, but I was looking into some stuff about fuzzy logic.

"the sentence below is false

the sentence above is true"

heres another

"All John's are liars". [i am John]

None of these sentences can be true or false. They have values between true and false.

This is not about fuzzy logic, but about formally undecidable propositions. You may have heard of Kurt Goedel. He had many theorems, but the one known as "Goedel's Theorem" was published in a paper called On Formally Undecidable Propositions, and it states that every formal system at least as complicated as arithmetic is either incomplete or inconsistent.

A consequence of this is that all formal systems break down under self-reference (that is, when a statement refers to its own truth value).

Fuzzy logic is a different animal altogether, as it relaxes the restriction of a two-valued logic.

Tom

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Glider

Not sure how you could prove an axiom to be true as it is, by definition: "A statement or proposition which is regarded as being established, accepted or self-evidently true" (New Oxford dictionary).

Yes Glider, we start with operating assumptions, presumed to be "true" possibly, but the point is, they are operating assumptions.

That they are operating assumptions is a truth, but.....(((groan)))...

[and that's why I'm investing in suppositories!]