More then just finding oil

benman

Going into my second year in college with a major in geology, I realized I want to do more then just finding oil as a career. I feel like the high demand in the fossil fuel industry is strictly finding oil. All the geologist I talk to just locate oil for energy companies, but I want to do more then that . I want to contribute to better energy sources like nuclear power. Is this possible to achieve with a geology degree? Or any other sources of energy?

Edited by benman

Well Geothermal Energy, as Captain Panic alludes above, is very much a good idea for a geology career. In many ways Geothermal is the free lunch of energy production.

Ensuring the geological stability of radioactive waste repositories is another worthwhile goal. As is working out methods of disposing of radioactive waste into subduction zones.

http://www.science20.com/tuff_guy/nuclear_waste_geologists_perspective

NNC report on subduction

For a geologist, finding fresh reserves of Uranium and possibly Thorium would be worthwhile.

1347829582[/url]' post='702746']

Well Geothermal Energy, as Captain Panic alludes above, is very much a good idea for a geology career. In many ways Geothermal is the free lunch of energy production.

Ensuring the geological stability of radioactive waste repositories is another worthwhile goal. As is working out methods of disposing of radioactive waste into subduction zones.

http://www.science20...sts_perspective

NNC report on subduction

For a geologist, finding fresh reserves of Uranium and possibly Thorium would be worthwhile.

A few other random thoughts:

1. Investigation of earthquake hazards relating to siting nuclear power stations.

2. Support of civil engineers in constructing hydro-electric schemes. This could involve studies of catchment area volumetrics, or tunneling challenges, etc.

3. Again with civil engineers in locations for tidal energy barriers.

Or you could abandon energy completely and go into mining/prospecting