clasp your hands to find u are a science student or not

fresh

i once read an article in newspaper(sorry i cant provide the reference), it says when clasp your hands at will, finding your right thumb over your left thumb makes u feel more comfortable than your left hand thumb over your right hand thumb, it shows u are more likely to be a science student who is good at math,physics,chemistry and the like.

if you find it is your right hand thumb under your left hand thumb, u are more likely to be an arts student who is not so good at math, physics and chemistry and the like.

it is decided by gene.

try and see. do it the way u feel more comfortable to clasp your hands.

post-69609-0-36649300-1347284595_thumb.jpg

it is decided by gene.

try and see. do it the way u feel more comfortable to clasp your hands.

Alternatively, you are more likely to be better at the sciences if you try hard at them and ignore hokum science claims *cough*. Although maybe I'm just upset that my right thumb was under my left thumb naturally. Ah, Well, I should probably switch to an art course then!

To get better results from this test, though; you might consider telling people to clasp their hands together, whichever way feels more natural, and set the results as a hidden drop down answer (a spoiler).

Edited by Iota

Alternatively, you are more likely to be better at the sciences if you try hard at them and ignore hokum science claims *cough*.

i said : "more likely to be....." , not saying 100% to be.

so u are good at math,physics and chemistry ?

i said : "more likely to be....." , not saying 100% to be.

so u are good at math,physics and chemistry ?

Good point, you did.

I'm OK at maths, I haven't ever had big problems understanding it. I find chemistry quite easy, but that's only A level chemistry so far, to be fair.

who can find a picture of Einstein who sits there folds his hands naturally ?

or other scientists' pics ? :P

it works on me, my family and most of my friends.

ok i just found one.

observe.......his hands. right thumb over his left thumb. :Ppost-69609-0-65863500-1347286330_thumb.jpg

who can find a picture of Einstein who sits there folds his hands naturally ?

or other scientists' pics ? :P

it works on me, my family and most of my friends.

You beat me there biggrin.gif

post-77020-0-34439300-1347286314_thumb.jpg

Edited by Iota

The article you provided says nothing at all about a tendency towards science or maths. It also says that whether there is a genetic component is inconclusive. Most of the reports I can find also claim that whether there is a genetic influence is inconclusive, or that there is a genetic influence but it's complicated and not easily modelled.

I can't find anything remotely reliable on the science/maths thing. Anybody had any success?

Somescientists have reported that handedness is due to a single gene with righthandedness dominant and left handedness recessive. However, other scientistshave reported that the interaction of two genes is responsible for this trait.

[/linkquote]

at least those scientists are arguing about "a single gene, or the interaction of two genes",,,all about genes. Whatever it is trait about lefthanded/righthanded or left thumb over right/right thumb over left, it is all about gene. Hence it is about science.

Our traits are gene related.

Abstract: Information about genes, traits, and inheritance that supports studentactivities in this module. Includes a pictorial reference of inherited humantraits used in the module's activities, along with inheritance patterns,frequencies, and other interesting facts about each.[link quote]

whereas :

The article you provided says nothing at all about a tendency towards scienceor maths. It also says that whether there is a genetic component isinconclusive. Most of the reports I can find also claim that whether there is agenetic influence is inconclusive, or that there is a genetic influence but it's complicated and not easily modelled.

U don't read that article carefully. How can they release sth about what u said"The article you provided says nothing at all about a tendency towards scienceor maths." on

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu ?

Edited by fresh

humm so left handed people are better scientists?

and what dose it meant if you are ambidextrus

im in the 1% and im good at math phisics biology and even languages if i put in the effort (the innate flaw with ambidexterity is, well ambidexterity you can read in both directions and see all the patterns, but you dont realy see the differance between right and left, at least on a conseptual level)

Actually the article you initially provided says "A study of identical twins concluded that hand clasping has at least some genetic component. However, other scientists have not found evidence that genetics plays a significant role in determining this trait." The broader literature can't seem to agree on what genetic influence is present. I double-checked but I still couldn't find the science/maths stuff in the link.

Could you fix the links in your last post, please?

I double-checked but I still couldn't find the science/maths stuff in the link.

Could you fix the links in your last post, please?

whether u could find the science/maths stuff in the link is your OWN concern, not mine. i give link here to share inform, NOT guarantee anything, of course not offend anyone like u do. i am not an educator/lecturer/teacher giving any class here, therefore nobody needs to fix the link provided by http://learn.genetics.utah.edu. this is only discussion thread.no obligation to give u any answers.

consider scientists are argueing this, even scientists cant draw a conclusion, how could non-scientist jump into any conclusion to satisfy U ?

anything i show here is from newspaper and link. it is not MY creation.

Thanks for your Qs,that is a full-lid.

humm so left handed people are better scientists?

and what dose it meant if you are ambidextrus

im in the 1% and im good at math phisics biology and even languages if i put in the effort (the innate flaw with ambidexterity is, well ambidexterity you can read in both directions and see all the patterns, but you dont realy see the differance between right and left, at least on a conseptual level)

the article from newspaper doesnt mention 'ambidextrus', how do i know?

why must i really see the difference between right and left ?

if u are in the 1%, what does it mean to u ?

Edited by fresh

Could it be that this is related to being left or right handedness?

Studies indicate that up to 70% of the world is right handed. Other studies indicate a majority of the people are right hand claspers, with the right thumb on top. I can spot a correlation.

But in this thread we are testing whether a majority of scientists would be right hand claspers. But our sample group is almost exclusively scientific... so if we are distributed just about average (i.e. a majority clasps right thumb up), it would confirm the hypothesis. This is not a good test.

We could only hope to find sufficient left claspers, so we can disprove it. But we cannot confirm it.

I am left handed, and my hands and fingers close the other way. The artist's way. But I'm an engineer, and I do know a thing or two about the exact sciences.

I am left handed, and my hands and fingers close the other way. The artist's way. But I'm an engineer, and I do know a thing or two about the exact sciences.

maybe your father is an engineer too or the like. just guess only.

;)

actually, we dont know what's the difference between lefthanded and righhanded, same goes to the puzzle we cant find an accurate answer for our traits. why some people are like that, others are not like that.....

talk about "accurate", really hard to draw a conclusion. only % theory, more likely, most likely, with some exceptions......

i think most of science theories has exception.(cuz it is not 1 + 1 = 2.)

one thing i am curious is whether father is a more dominant part to decide how smart his kids are ? :blink:

(discussion only)

the article from newspaper doesnt mention 'ambidextrus', how do i know?

why must i really see the difference between right and left ?

if u are in the 1%, what does it mean to u ?

i use really as a qualifier fro incomplete grasp of direction and directional arrangement

simply put: if i am shown a picture, and told to remember it. then an hour later i am given a choice between said picture, and a directionally inverted image that is identical in every other way, i will be unable to differentiate which was the original image.

it allows a person to be ambidextrous, but also means they cant really grasp the idea of right hand, left hand

(simply put i know what is right and left conceptually, but asking me to show you will mean i will have to spend a second working it out)

im not really that bad at direction (it just means you have to think in vectors and trigonometry instead of directions), and i can write with 2 hands at the same time(dose take a bit of mental effort), so overall i get much in terms of benefits from the trait.

and it means i can laugh manically and devolve into bouts of megalomania at my superiority over the other 99% of the world for it will bow down at my feet in horror terror and incontinence from the meer knowledge that i can clasp my hands without caring which thumb goes on top!!!

(no really... it actually means nothing to me personalty. I've always been able to do this and its not world shattering knowledge that ambidexterity is an uncommon trait)