The name "Sidney" - question for US folks

Alfred001

I'm not from the US so I'm trying to get a sense for this, is the name "Sidney" (as a first name) associated with Jews? Is it a strong association in the sense tha if someone is called Sidney you would assume the person is Jewish?

I get the sense that the name is associated with older Jewish gents, is that right? What would a person in the US think about someone with this name who is in his early twenties?

I always get surpirsed by the association in US of some names with specific ethnicities, so I'm curious about this stuff.

EDIT: I'm referring to the name as used for men.

Edited by Alfred001

I always get surpirsed by the association in US of some names with specific ethnicities, so I'm curious about this stuff.

I should say I'm referring to the name as used for men.

Well, four US citizens have told you there's no need for surprise because there is no association with the name Sidney and "older Jewish gents". The fact that suburban Denverite women are naming their little blond daughters Sidney should support that as well.

There might be some substance in the OP as it's mentioned in a letter to an editor that may provide a clue:

To the Editor:

In his stimulating article concerning “Jewish First Names Through the Ages,” Rabbi Benzion C. Kaganoff refers to the assimilation of names by Jews in America. This phenomenon is, perhaps, best illustrated by names like Milton, Sidney, and others which have become “Jewish” names in the United States because Jews have used them so frequently.

In pre-World War I Germany and the Austrian monarchy, a comparable development took place. Siegfried, Siegbert, Sigismund, and similar names also became “Jewish” names and, for that reason, were eventually avoided by non-Jews. In fact, the combination of these names with typically Jewish family names produced strange bedfellows as, for example, Sigmund Freud or Siegfried Moses (a veteran Zionist leader in Germany).

While French and Italian Jews use both Hebraic and non-Hebraic first names, there appears to be no case where a non-Hebraic name has come to be considered a “Jewish” name, probably because of the small number of Jews in either France or Italy.

Ernest Maass

New York, N.Y.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/article/jewish-first-names/

There was anti-Semitic element historically whereby if a name became popular in the Jewish community it was avoided by non-Jews hence the Jewish association with certain names.

Edited by StringJunky

There might be some substance in the OP as it's mentioned in a letter to an editor that may provide a clue:

To the Editor:

In his stimulating article concerning “Jewish First Names Through the Ages,” Rabbi Benzion C. Kaganoff refers to the assimilation of names by Jews in America. This phenomenon is, perhaps, best illustrated by names like Milton, Sidney, and others which have become “Jewish” names in the United States because Jews have used them so frequently.

In pre-World War I Germany and the Austrian monarchy, a comparable development took place. Siegfried, Siegbert, Sigismund, and similar names also became “Jewish” names and, for that reason, were eventually avoided by non-Jews. In fact, the combination of these names with typically Jewish family names produced strange bedfellows as, for example, Sigmund Freud or Siegfried Moses (a veteran Zionist leader in Germany).

While French and Italian Jews use both Hebraic and non-Hebraic first names, there appears to be no case where a non-Hebraic name has come to be considered a “Jewish” name, probably because of the small number of Jews in either France or Italy.

Ernest Maass

New York, N.Y.

http://www.commentar...sh-first-names/

There was anti-Semitic element historically whereby if a name became popular in the Jewish community it was avoided by non-Jews hence the Jewish association with certain names.

I found that and a few other pages that refer to "Sidney" as being a name associated with Jews.

My sense is that maybe that association exists with an older generation. As I said, I think it's older Jewish gents who have that name, and it's not as common among Jews today, so only old folks associate the name with Jews. I might be completel wrong on that, though.

I found that and a few other pages that refer to "Sidney" as being a name associated with Jews.

My sense is that maybe that association exists with an older generation. As I said, I think it's older Jewish gents who have that name, and it's not as common among Jews today, so only old folks associate the name with Jews. I might be completel wrong on that, though.

You have possibly noticed something that was symptomatic of a more racist past...if that's the right way to put it. Probably doesn't happen now...people now don't think: I'm not having my children named the same as the Jews.

Well, four US citizens have told you there's no need for surprise because there is no association with the name Sidney and "older Jewish gents". The fact that suburban Denverite women are naming their little blond daughters Sidney should support that as well.

I'd go as far as to say it's neutral both in terms of ethnicity and gender.

Sidney here in the UK would be a male name and currently out of fashion for children. That said, as we become more and more exposed to US culture and fashions, I would not be surprised if Sidney was becoming more popular for females.

I always think of Sid James when I hear the name. But note that was is stage name.

We then have Sidney Coleman, who is the second Sidney I can think of.

I'd go as far as to say it's neutral both in terms of ethnicity and gender.

May I be so indescreete as to ask how old you are?

I wonder also whether this association only exists in areas that have substantial Jewish populations like New York.

I wonder also whether this association only exists in areas that have substantial Jewish populations like New York.

You seem very eager to force this association. Are you claiming that the US is the only place where names can be associated with certain ethnicities? Are you wondering why someone of your acquaintance named Sidney isn't an older Jewish gentlemen?

May I be so indescreete as to ask how old you are?

I'm 24 and I used to live in Saratoga Springs New York which has a substantial Jewish population.

I used to live on Long Island, not far from New York City. I am in my 50's and didn't find the name Sidney particularly associated with older Jewish gents.

When I saw the title of the thread my first thought was Sidney Poitier, who was raised Roman Catholic in The Bahamas.