Need some ideas for a project

mellowmorgan

OK, so I'm in a Software Engineering class and we've just been assigned to groups for a project. Our project is to design an object-oriented system using the Unified Process. We can pick whatever system we want; some one suggested a system that does inventory for a bookstore. I don't know, that seemed a bit dull. So I'm looking for some other ideas that are more interesting - but not too complex as this is our first Software Engineering class and we only have until the end of November (of course we won't be constructing or implementing it, just going to end of Design/Elaboration phases). We are voting on a project Thursday so I need to have some good ideas by then! ...So, yeah, please help! :D

The inventory idea for a bookshop is not to bad, but why not design a bit of software that a customer could bring with them to the shop that would highlight the type of books they would be looking for.They would swipe a card on entry that could have info from Google searches and Amazon buys for instence. The bookshop would then have a software setup to guide the customer to the appropriate sections.

• 2 weeks later...

I think first of all you should have to choose a perfect and right defination for a project. then you can think about the DFD for your system that how it works. You can take more ideas about the project from (url removed by moderator).

Edited by CaptainPanic
url removed - please see our rules, section 2.7.

• 1 month later...

I come too late, sorry for that... but maybe this idea serves someone else - or you for a later project.

A piece of software could check that the units of an equation fit together, like: a pressure equals a force per surface unit, not per volume unit.

Such an application needs a decent user interface, preferably where the inputted equation can be read permanently. But the input can be made by menus if they're fast and convenient; you don't have to interpret an equation typed as a text by the user.

You need to process +-*/^ which includes sqrt(). Users shall know what to do with sin().

I want the application to know constants like µ or h or flux quantum to limit user errors, and I'd prefer to click on "newton" instead of "force". The application can be limited to SI units, but it must know less frequent units like Jansky or Eötvös, and of course optics and radioactivity units. A user will typically launch the application in areas he's less easy with. This is where the application improves over hand-checking.

Possible refinements, not urgent:

- Other unit systems, especially CGS

- Unit systems that take c=1, h/2pi=1, µ=eps=1...

Nice small project, and it would be really useful to many people from time to time.

Marc Schaefer, aka Enthalpy

I wrote "Newton" preferred to "Force", I see these advantage:

If the user means a force but uses kg instead of N, the software will detect it.

The software might also check if MPa are used together with mm2, not m2.

As a diagnostic, I prefer a synthetic answer like "discrepancy by one pressure", not its equivalent in kg, m and s.

We made an e-commerce website for selling games, back end was built in java, front end was a web page so html, js and php/css etc and the db was a mysql interface. we broke up into 3 groups of 2 and did a task each. Did you have to use a specific language or were you free to do as you wished??