How do you make a radio?

Auk

I simply don't understand where to start. I've googled "Making radio's", "Homemade radios" and more but I can't find a good site. How do you make a radio? I would appreciate a link or instructions, Thx.

i've got a spare ferrite rod (100mm) what can i do with it?

i dont want to make another radio controlled thing particuarly, as im already making one, its just i got 3 rods when i needed 2... so what can i do with the 3rd?

im using this circuit design:

http://www.redcircuits.com/Page55.htm

it uses radio waves to work (35KHz)

but it says (for the ferrite rods):

500 turns on a 10mm. diameter, 10cm. long ferrite rod.

Enameled wire diameter: 0.2mm.

The tap is made after 200 turns, ground side

its the bit in bold i dont understand... is the tap the part where (well there are two "sets" of coils on a rod, so is the tap the split between the two?

so in this case there would be 200 turns ground side and 300 other side... or the other way around?

a crystal earpeice(headphone). <---optional

a good ground plane, a long antenna, a peice of Coke or pencil lead, and a razor blade!

that`s all ya need for a BASIC radio, it works just great in prison as well (use the tanoy wires as the antenna and the bars for ground) though you DO get radios in prison, that wasn`t ALWAYS the case :)

sorry for repeating this but i need an answer please:

500 turns on a 10mm. diameter, 10cm. long ferrite rod.

The tap is made after 200 turns, ground side

its the bit in bold i dont understand... is the tap the part where (well there are two "sets" of coils on a rod, so is the tap the split between the two?

so in this case there would be 200 turns ground side and 300 other side... or the other way around?

Very Very simple radio!

An antenna

A few variable capacitors

inductor coils

resistors

Make a RLC resonant circuit using these and we can tune in to the frequency you want by varying the capacitance of the variable capacitor.

It works but it is a very poor quality one.

you need hardly ANY of those mentioned above :)

you need a good antenna and ground, a way to rectify the AC signal (a diode) and a way to listen to it :)

inductors and caps are only for tuning and SOooooooo easy to make anyway as don`t even deserve a mention unless you want Fine Tuning?

and No, I`ve NOT been in the "Clink" some of my friends have been though, and also POWs, as well as my own training :)

no, I`ve never broken the law :)))

you need hardly ANY of those mentioned above :)

you need a good antenna and ground' date=' a way to rectify the AC signal (a diode) and a way to listen to it :)

[/quote']

Yes, but that doesn’t help a beginner. Somebody with no electrical knowledge would have no idea how to put those words into a circuit.

Further input from the OP with regards to what TYPE of receiver would have been helpful though!

crystal, made crystal, 1 tran, 2 tran, IC, AM /FM ???

all these and many more, coming to a store Near You! batteries not included, some assembly required :)

seriously though, it couldn`t realy be more vague!

i've got a spare ferrite rod (100mm) what can i do with it?

i dont want to make another radio controlled thing particuarly' date=' as im already making one, its just i got 3 rods when i needed 2... so what can i do with the 3rd?

im using this circuit design:

http://www.redcircuits.com/Page55.htm

it uses radio waves to work (35KHz)

[i']500 turns on a 10mm. diameter, 10cm. long ferrite rod.

The tap is made after 200 turns, ground side[/i]

If you look at the schematic, you can see that the tap is 200 turns from ground.

• 2 weeks later...