What is the purpose of life after death ?

slickinfinit

I am a person who believes death means death, the end of your life means u are no more and u only were. How can a being who was non-existent before birth exist after death for infinity, we live a short while and we die. I am not pleased by this but I cannot see a logical way I would exist as myself for a period of time so great numbers could not even measure it. The only hope I have in being completely wrong is I cant begin to explain why I am here and if that reason is something I am not understanding now, that would be fine. I am only one person with one view I would like to see what others think about this reality we will all face. Can it be logical to live forever?

i assume that you are not a christian. neither am i. not to say that being a christian is a bad thing but its not for me. i dont believe in life after death either as it defies logic and cannot be proven to occur. if it were to be explained to me in a manner in which i could understand completely, and with this information, i realized that it really happened, then i would have no choice but to believe in it. this would seem obvious to people of science and non-christians. unfortunately, chistians have tgier own way of thinking and they tend to believe that we can defy logic and live eternally in heaven or hell. to me, if one has no blood pumping, no oxygen circulating to cells, and no electric activity in the brain, then you are dead. there are no sould, there are no ghosts, there are no spirits.

if that were true than there is not realy a purpose to life in my reality I am just a spontainious short lived un-predicted lucky to have had the chance to live but still shitty I am gonna die sorta thingy lol, ah well I know things are more complicated than my thought, so I am gonna be glad to be wrong (hopefully).

I dont know if there is a purpose I just think the complexity of things gives that theory some legs to stand on, they way things work is very interesting and the more we learn the more questions we get taking the steps from geration to generation my other question is is it possible to get to the point where u would know all these answers in mortality? Can we even answer this stuff or is it an infinity of speculation ?

Hmm,

I'm not Christian.

Christians are not the only people who believe in life after death.

Scientists do not all believe that "death means death."

I believe that spirits exist.

I don't believe in heaven or hell, mainly because I don't believe anyone can be totally evil or totally good.

I some what believe in reincarnation.

I believe that spirits, like matter, have been here since the dawn of time.

Regarding blood to the brain, not all life requires this.

Regarding oxygen, not all life requires this--some require no oxygen to live.

Regarding brains, not all life have these.

When I was in 6th grade, I believed in the idea that everything is trying to strive for perfection. Maybe that's the purpose of life after death, to fulfill what your want for perfection. It's similar to Buddhism.

When I asked my friend in 7th grade what she thought the purpose of life was, she replied that when she died, and looked back on her life, what would she cherish the most? She said that she should cherish it now as well.

I think the subject of life after death, hasnt been given enough serious thought here.Regardless of religion or lack of,its a conceited view to presume we superior humans should live on,in this spiritual utopia.

As i get older, i find myself unable to ignore life after death experiences,that people report.Its my opinion that indeed there is some form of existence after death,but not solely for humans.It would be ridiculus to accept meeting ones relatives, in a nice lush grassy garden eating clottered cream scones.As the scenario for life after death.

I believe that consciousness is universal when the spark of life leaves our bodies it returns to the whole and becomes one.As individuals we try to comprehend our place as seperate entities,but i suggest our consciousness are only parts of the whole.

Take an ant from the colony it still functions but is lost.Replace it back into the colony and it knows its place and purpose.I realise this is simplified somewhat but this explains quite reasonably my believe that the Universe is a conscious entity.

I believe as our brains have evolved,we have became more in tune with this realisation we are more than flesh and blood,religions were created from enlightenment,from many gods to the universally held believe in one GOD.Most if not all enlightened peoples over the centuries have taught to look for god within ones self,and i see this is a logical progression of our species brain evolving.Not all of us will reach the end to the journey,were the living flesh and blood human realises its place in the scheme of existence.For most we will return to the whole without ever realising we lived,For some the glorious appreciation of the physical form experienced.

Purpose in life is to seek pleasure , we are pleasure seeking creatures , religion denies that freedom .

BUt as for I, I choose independently from those traits & beliefs and decide whether if it worth to seek or not to seek pleasure .

Buddhism is helping me with that purpose at the moment as it has alot of common sense .

Regarding blood to the brain' date=' not all life requires this.

Regarding oxygen, not all life requires this--some require no oxygen to live.

Regarding brains, not all life have these.[/quote']

Having a brain supplied by oxygen is a pre-requisite for being self-conscious and sentient, which are the qualities that lead people to conclude we must have a soul (whatever they think that may be).

I don't think there's anyone who believes they will be sharing the afterlife with anaerobic bacteria.

Having a brain supplied by oxygen is a pre-requisite for being self-conscious and sentient' date=' which are the qualities that lead people to conclude we must have a soul (whatever they think that may be).

I don't think there's anyone who believes they will be sharing the afterlife with anaerobic bacteria.[/quote']

I accidentally mistyped two things at the same time.

It was supposed to say "Having a brain is not a prerequisite for life, and having blood is not a prerequisite for life."

And, yep, I do think I'll be living with the anaerobic bacteria.

If anything could travel faster than the speed of light, I hope it's through "soul traveling."

Dont jump to conclusions sayanora.....some deserve to !!

You're telling me.

I accidentally mistyped two things at the same time.

It was supposed to say "Having a brain is not a prerequisite for life' date=' and having blood is not a prerequisite for life."

And, yep, I do think I'll be living with the anaerobic bacteria.[/quote']

Does this mean in your view anything that is alive has a soul? (Assuming of course that "soul" is some sort of inherent quality that is also an ongoing force not bound by matter or energy).

Where is the line drawn? Are viruses alive?

If anything could travel faster than the speed of light, I hope it's through "soul traveling."

Errr... ok. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Yeah, I'd say that everything that's alive has a spirit. Are viruses alive? Beats me. It's not like I can see souls or anything. I don't see spirits floating around me all the time or anything like that.

"Errr... ok. Let's not get ahead of ourselves."

Oh well, this is in the pseudoscience/metaphysics category.

As much as I would like to believe in an after-life I find it hard to do. Maybe our purpose is here and not somewhere else?

If we don't consider the possibility that anything can be conscious, how can we percieve that a dead human consciousness would live on past this life?

Hmm, I don't believe that you should live life to secure your place in heaven, hell, nirvana, eternal damnation, or wherever the afterlife may take you. However, I don't believe you should live life without caring how you will view yourself and your actions when you die, are dying, or have died.

In other words, I don't think our present life is unconnected to the next. When I think about what I'm going to do, I think about travelling and exploring Earth and its wonders: Grand Canyon, Pacific Ocean, rainforests, deserts, and even people. Then I'm going to fly to the stars, other planets, etc. And if I wish to, I guess I can reincarnate or something.

Any string theorists knocking about??

I have this crazy notion that weird things happen with the parts of strings that are in other dimensions. One of those things being that they can record their states throughout time, given that some of those extra dimensions could be incredibly huge only the tip of the iceberg might poke into our dimension.

And since all these fundamental particles that make up the universe right now have been here ever since the universe was first formed.

One for the crazy files or not?? :rolleyes: