• Warehouse 13
    • Primeval
    • Star Trek
    • V (old)
    • V (new)
    • The Event
    • Flashforward
    • Other, please explain

Many science fiction based television shows have been on over the years, some better than others but most are set in their own universe. Which ones are your favorites and if you can explain why. If you want rate them in order of most favorite to least.

Edited by Moontanman

Star Trek is the one I want to live in, Firefly is the one I most like to visit.

We are very close on that one, Farscape runs a close third for me but Star Trek is where I want to live but being a space cowboy is very appealing too. Star Gate is pretty cool but the parasitic Goa'uld kind of ruin the idea of wanting to live there...

Stargate, because it has the perfect story arc going from discovering something in the sand to building intergalactic battleships over 10 years. That would be the adventure I'd find most compelling.

Then again... If I had to visit one it would almost have to be Dark Angel because, you know, genetically engineered Jessica Alba.

Stargate, because it has the perfect story arc going from discovering something in the sand to building intergalactic battleships over 10 years. That would be the adventure I'd find most compelling.

Then again... If I had to visit one it would almost have to be Dark Angel because, you know, genetically engineered Jessica Alba.

Hmmm, yes, Jessica Alba pretty much wins any contest... meow ;)

You left out the Alien/Predator universe and for that I chastise you.

Hmmm, yes, Jessica Alba pretty much wins any contest... meow ;)

Is there a universe in which the laws of physics do not permit her to wear any clothes? Cause I want to live there.

You left out the Alien/Predator universe and for that I chastise you.

It's TV universe so those don't apply. Though since Star Wars: The Clone Wars was a TV show he should be chastised for not having a galaxy far far away.

It's TV universe so those don't apply. Though since Star Wars: The Clone Wars was a TV show he should be chastised for not having a galaxy far far away.

Meh, I missed the part about TV only, so I retract my chatisement.

I say "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles". One reason, the hottest FemBot ever. If she walked up to me and ask if I was John Conner, I would say YES. But please do not tell my wife I said that!

cameron-scc-s2-promo.jpg

I fell in love with Firefly not too long ago. It has such amazing character development. The opening theme just gets me everytime.... *happiness*

Of course I watched a bit of Stargate: SG1 and Atlantis. I want to pick it back up since I haven't. Seen it in quite some time.

Thinkin' about checking out Farscape too. Yay Netflix!

Edited by Raiix

And the second head and extra arm?

I'm not sure about the extra arm and head but an extra boob might be interesting... an extra penis might be redundant, since i have it on pretty good authority that most men don't know what to do with the one they have... I know i know, butt it's funny when you think about how they could be used.. where... it... or what ever... :unsure:

Only thing better than Dark Angel would be two of them... :P

I say "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles". One reason, the hottest FemBot ever. If she walked up to me and ask if I was John Conner, I would say YES. But please do not tell my wife I said that!

cameron-scc-s2-promo.jpg

She was very very hot in Firefly as well...

I fell in love with Firefly not too long ago. It has such amazing character development. The opening theme just gets me everytime.... *happiness*

Of course I watched a bit of Stargate: SG1 and Atlantis. I want to pick it back up since I haven't. Seen it in quite some time.

Thinkin' about checking out Farscape too. Yay Netflix!

Yes Netflix rocks! Have you seen the Movie "Serenity"? My youngest son says he knows a guy who speaks Chinese and the Chinese words and phrases they use are genuine and not just babble...

True, but I have had enough of crazy women in my life, a FemBot would be a refreshing change.

I don't know dude, being able to trivially tear you limb from limb might make a relationship a bit one sided... :blink:

"Wait a second, you're not finished yet"... :(

Star Wars all the way, but only under the condition that the GunGans are destroyed.

... I'm already inciting species hatred in another world.eyebrow.gif Everyone will agree though; let's put the Deathstar to good use.

Edited by Iota

It almost feels like cheating, but I have to go with Dr. Who because nothing really comes close to the sheer level of awesome that timelords get away with. Even Star Trek's Q who is a rather interesting character seems two dimensional next to the Doctor.

It's a little unfair, because no other show could portray a Universe where you can set out to see all of time and space just for the fun of it and still give all the most horrible monsters a "choice" when they're being pests before they get themselves blown all up.

It's centered around how fun and wondrous life's possibilities are, where even Neil Armstrong's foot can bring about a silent revolution.

Star Trek is a big favorite but the whole genre just kept getting screwed movie after movie to the point where it's now just a Universe where any given day some "Big Angry Nemesisy Guy" wants some sort of revenge, and just happens to be a little scarier and deadlier than the last Big Nemesisy Guy. I don't think they've had a non-revenge centric plot since Generations, so it's really hard not to just be burnt out on it.

Farscape might be the most compelling dystopia but Firefly is closely tied. Farscape wins overall just because the setting is so marvelous (living ships and Jim Henson's creature shop??) and as much as I love the dialog and characters in Firefly, not one of them ever wore a nuclear bomb with a deadman switch or made moonshine on a dying leviathan. Farscape's dystopic horrors are well offset by it's wonders, whereas Firefly has almost Bladerunner-esque levels of hopelessness. It's great because a single person or crew's minor victory to stay alive can be magnificent, but only because it's so stacked towards the Powers That Be.

Stargate (SG1 & SGA) was exceptional for building Earth's "Intergalactic Age" under our noses, where every odd technological interface, gray alien crew member, or X-302 fighter had a backstory that evolved over 10 years instead of just a wall of narrative prologue text.

Plus - even if you only watch it for the politicians the show is still worth it. Senator Kinsey was straight up prescient.

The new(er) Battlestar Galactica was pretty fantastic but it would be a pretty ugly place to live. The story arc makes it very difficult to see it as a static Universe backdrop. I really do love scifi that has a gritty edge, but at least these days grit seems ubiquitous in daily life, and I really like the stuff that dares to look beyond that.

As for missed shows: When you see "The truth is out there" do you still hear the tune in your head? :D

Oh: Terminator SCC was surprisingly brilliant - very unexpected, but it's not really (imo) a very fun universe.

Edited by padren

I keep waiting for the next really great science fiction show, a few years ago it looked liked we were about to enter a new age of science fiction but then quite suddenly most of the science fiction was cancelled, often in mid season hanging. I have been told is was due to the high costs of producing good science fiction but it seems to have been replaced with fantasy horror shows that hardly seem less expensive to make... possibly the days of good science fiction TV has passed and fantasy horror has taken it's place but shows like Grimm or other such fantasy shows hardly hardly satisfy my craving for good TV...