how to reduce the effect of magnetism.

steven8

I am currently designing a project and the only thing stopping my idea from working is magnets interfering with other magnets. Is there some sort of material that i can use to put between the magnets (along with other parts of the project) so that the magnetic fields that pass through are much weaker.

I am currently designing a project and the only thing stopping my idea from working is magnets interfering with other magnets. Is there some sort of material that i can use to put between the magnets (along with other parts of the project) so that the magnetic fields that pass through are much weaker.

No.

You can shield a region from a magnetic field, but not one magnet from another. The magnets have an interaction with the shielding material, so the problem is still present.

http://www.magnetic-shield.com/faq/interference.html#q4

http://www.mushield.com/faq.shtml#q11

Can I shield one magnet from another?

No. There is no such thing as a magnetic insulating material. High permeability material works to shield from magnetic interference by attracting and diverting the field through itself. The only way in which to halt the attractive or repulsive forces between two magnets is to separate them by the distance proportional to their respective magnetic field strengths.

Are you trying to stop them from attracting or repelling?

Repulsion can be negated.