Pine tables?

chilled_fluorine

What's up with you guys and pine tables? It seems like everyone is talking about burning them, pouring permanganic acid, piraña bath, sulphuric acid over them... Would anyone care to explain?Someone's signature here read something like: I'm going to paint the table, I'm going to paint it fine, I'm going to use h2so4, because the wood is pine.

I live in the southern US, pine forests are about all we have other than swamp forests where you guessed more conifers dominate the scene, cypress grow in standing water sometimes several feet deep, pond pines grow along the edges of swamp with huge long leaf pines growing everywhere else. Pine is very cool wood it smells good and it is very pretty and can be stained to any hue, what's not to like? Oh yeah and there are all those pine cones... :lol:

I'm not sure about the acid thing either to be honest...

I'm not sure about the acid thing either to be honest...

The acid is so this thread can be in the Chemistry section. :P

If you're out my way, Moon, bring along some pine with you. If you want to make it into 1x4s and 1x6s for easy travel, that's OK by me. Just make 'em straight, and no acid.

If you're out my way, Moon, bring along some pine with you. If you want to make it into 1x4s and 1x6s for easy travel, that's OK by me. Just make 'em straight, and no acid.

I have a friend that actually built his house of out pine trees he cut off his land and milled into lumber. I thought it was kind of neat...

The reason isn't the acid, it's just I don't know how to pick which section I post in.:facepalms:We have LOTs of pine in my part of the USA. It really is such a lovely wood. It's just so hard to cut, without getting sap on everything...It's all pine TABLEs I hear about. Doesn't anyone know why people would want to destroy such a great choice of table?

The reason isn't the acid, it's just I don't know how to pick which section I post in.

Go to the section you want first, then click Start a New Topic.

It's all pine TABLEs I hear about. Doesn't anyone know why people would want to destroy such a great choice of table?

As I said, Gilded was simply sick of everything in his part of the world being made from pine. It's simply his opinion. Or maybe "table" just fit with his rhyming scheme better than "chair" or "furniture".

Go to the section you want first, then click Start a New Topic.

As I said, Gilded was simply sick of everything in his part of the world being made from pine. It's simply his opinion. Or maybe "table" just fit with his rhyming scheme better than "chair" or "furniture".

I thought you were trying to say something completely different. Who is gilded? I wasn't talking about the poem really, and I have heard other people talking about pine tables to. Oddly enough, it is always pine tables, and they don't phrase their posts as poems.

Hi, I'm Gilded, SFN veteran and Finnish person extraordinaire.

Pine trees are boring even for evergreens and basically the a-holes of the forest. Cutting them to pieces to make furniture and houses doesn't do much to change that. The whole acid thing indeed stems from a really old thread (like from 2005 or something) where I was curious about acids that could potentially burn their way through a pine table. The song/poem is a reference to The Simpsons, particularly

Gilded, where you been, buddy? That's so cool that you knew we were talking about you before I sent the PM. Was this part of that time travel thing you will eventually not be having told me about?

Nothing more exciting than Capn linking the thread on IRC I'm afraid. I'm saying that because my future self told me not to tell anyone about the time machine. I'm mostly just on IRC these days, and the stuff I actually (occasionally) do is somewhat disconnected from hard science in general.

Hi, I'm Gilded, SFN veteran and Finnish person extraordinaire.

Pine trees are boring even for evergreens and basically the a-holes of the forest. Cutting them to pieces to make furniture and houses doesn't do much to change that. The whole acid thing indeed stems from a really old thread (like from 2005 or something) where I was curious about acids that could potentially burn their way through a pine table. The song/poem is a reference to The Simpsons, particularly

Gilded! I remember you now... And I remember the post you were talking about. I have read this forum for quite some time, just decided to sign up a few days ago. It seems like you stemmed some sort of anti-pine propoganda campaign. Why do you hate pine so much? Here we have lots of oak and other nice hardwoods, so I guess I could never fully understand the pine filled monotony of a Finnish forest. But still, I like pine almost as much as oak, it must sound really stupid for me to have such strong opinions about wood. Anyone like aspen? How about cedar? It's sort of creepy that you found this post...