side effects of Aspirin

i heard that taking aspirin is helpful to thinning of blood.

and it is claimed that there are no side effects of aspirin tablets. i wonder really no any side effects of taking aspirin for long-run ?

thanks for any advices.

and it is claimed that there are no side effects of aspirin tablets. i wonder really no any side effects of taking aspirin for long-run ?

There are side effects. It can be especially difficult on peoples stomachs.

Others are quickly found by googling "side effects of aspirin." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/daily-aspirin-therapy/HB00073/NSECTIONGROUP=2

If you're taking it just to keep platelets from clumping, there are low-dose coated tablets you can take that reduce the stomach irritation and are aimed more at heart risk/stroke situations than pain management. I would always advise checking with your doctor first, though, since no one here knows your medical history.

Also, technically there are no side-effects, only effects. One of the effects if aspirin is thinning of blood, which is the desired effect, but also the cause for described side-effects, including higher propensity of internal bleeding, associated pain etc. The side effect for one condition, can be the desired effect of another.

• 3 years later...

The trouble with consuming wholly raw products for medicinal use is that the concentration of the active agent is unknown without quantitative analysis for each sample. Also there will likely be other substances in a sample that are not beneficial at all and may in fact harm. Despite what the adverts from the 'natural' industry say, they are not pure, in the quantitative sense.

Aspirin, is Salicylic acid which, I think, was originally derived from Sallicin; a component of Willow tree bark.

Aspirin is a cox1 inhibitor. It irreversibly stops prostaglandin and thromboxane A2 synthesis. TXA2 mediates platelet GPIIbIIIa activation and the formation of the primary platelet plug. But you get the side effects of aspirin from prostaglandin inhibition. Lack of production of stomach mucous lining is the most commonly cited s/e. Anti inflammatory effect may be another - prostaglandin is a paracrine signalling molecule for all kinds of tissues in the body, you'll have to look it up, and you may find lots of idiosyncratic effects from aspirin.

For one, xalatan, or latanoprost is a prostaglandin analogue to lower intraocular pressure as glaucoma treatment. So I wouldn't be surprised if aspirin increases IOP in a case series.

This isn't medical advice, you should ask your doctor if you are taking aspirin, usually there is good reasons why patients are on aspirin prescription with all the benefits and risks weighed. This is purely an academic discussion from my part.

For one, xalatan, or latanoprost is a prostaglandin analogue to lower intraocular pressure as glaucoma treatment.

So that's where your nickname comes from ^_^ have you suffered from high IOP or glaucoma in the past? :)

So that's where your nickname comes from ^_^ have you suffered from high IOP or glaucoma in the past? :)

Many thanks for asking, my IOP is fine :') a friend suggested the nick name for me, she thinks it sounds like an alien star system XD

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...